Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ford Field and the Hudson's Warehouse?

Not being a football fan, I haven't yet been inside Ford Field.

So what is the warehouse portion of the stadium used for? A hotel was planned, but nothing ever became of it. So what are they using it for? Is it just empty?

Is this a joke? I don't mean to sound antagonistic or anything; it's just that you're normally so informed about these kinds of things.

The Hudson's warehouse was converted into office space. I know that the Bodman law firm has its offices there, but I'm not sure about any other businesses. When I toured Ford Field last summer, much of the office space look occupied.

You really should buy a ticket to something being held at Ford Field and then tour the inside. It really is quite an amazing structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not being a football fan, I haven't yet been inside Ford Field.

So what is the warehouse portion of the stadium used for? A hotel was planned, but nothing ever became of it. So what are they using it for? Is it just empty?
    The luxury suites were built in the warehouse.

Thanks for the info... I just haven't had time to get into there. I knew that part of the warehouse was used for the stadium, but was wondering if the rest was filled up with businesses.

There are a few buildings I haven't been into downtown.

Haven't had time to get there? It has only been opened since 2002! I know people who have done multiple tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan who have been there.
    As a preservationist I would have thought you would have been all over it by now.

Also, it is the only field in the NFL that faces east-west. At least build a lego model of it dammit!

Yea, the luxury boxes and the press box were built in the old Hudson's warehouse along with the office spaces on the other side of Adam's street. Seriously, Ford Field is a cool place. I know that it takes up a huge portion of the CBD that would otherwise be part of the "urban fabric," but IMO, the development was done right. For instance, the seats in the luxury boxes are the same exact seats as those in the Lincoln Navigator. Also, they kept a lot of original structure and details of the old Hudson's warehouse. Now, if we could just get the Lions to start winning some games...

7. Default

Last summer, I chaperoned one of my son's school field trips - which included a tour of Ford Field in it's empty condition.

Here are the photos I took. Unfortunately, the lighting on the old part was not sufficient.

Our tour guide showed us the post-game press room, or, as they called it, the excuses room.

Ford Field is nice. All we need is a football team!

Motion Magazine did a feature on the Bodman offices in one of their first issues; the magazine isn't available online and might actually be out of print, for all I know. But the office set up looked pretty impressive. Their main boardroom overlooks the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Haven't had time to get there? It has only been opened since 2002! I know people who have done multiple tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan who have been there.
    As a preservationist I would have thought you would have been all over it by now.
    If it wouldn't have been for the Rolling Stones... I never would have been inside the Silverdome either... [[besides not a football fan... I also have little interest in tractor pulls...).

Quote Originally Posted by heedus View Post
    I know that it takes up a huge portion of the CBD that would otherwise be part of the "urban fabric,"
    Its bounded pretty well by the freeway interchange. If your gonna build superblocks, the best place is right up against the interchange corners, you've already lost the urban fabric.

gistok; they offer tours of ford field all the time. go check it out, it's worth it.

We welcome you to experience this innovation in architecture, as Ford Field integrates the Detroit Lions stadium into the historical old Hudson's warehouse built in the 1920's.

Also, get a peek at a Ford Field suite, an NFL locker room, walk down the tunnel to the field and stand on the turf for a player's view of the stadium.

Each 25-person tour will start from Gate A or Gate G and will last approximately one hour.

Tour Prices:

Adults: $7.00
    Children: $5.00
    Seniors: $5.00
    Children under 5: Free

Walk Up Tours:
    Join our public walk-up tours at 11:00am and 1:00pm on the following days:

June-December:

Mondays, Thursdays & Fridays

January-May:

Mondays & Fridays

Reservations & advance purchase not required for walk-up tours.

Tour tickets may be purchased by cash, MasterCard or Visa at the Ford Field Gate G ticket windows located on St. Antoine Street. All tours begin inside Ford Field at Gate G.

Group Tours:
    Groups of 25 or more can schedule tours Monday–Friday. Weekend and evening tours are available for groups of 75 or more.

Group tours of 25 or more may be scheduled by calling 313.262.2396.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa.313 View Post
    gistok; they offer tours of ford field all the time. go check it out, it's worth it.
    Thanks RSA, it's not for a lack of wanting to get down there, it's just that much of my free time for a few years has been taken up with caring for a dying parent [[cancer). Otherwise I would have been to a few FSC meetings and other downtown affairs as of late [[I missed the PW annual meetings and Festival of the Arts for the last 3 years).

But that didn't stop Skulker [[alias Ansel Rakestraw) from posting about this on another forum... funny that someone who's name is "Peter" calling me a "Dick"... over the fact that I haven't been to Ford Field...

Life is too short... and some people just need to get one...
    Last edited by Gistok; April-21-09 at 03:59 PM.

Anyone who's ever posted there [[that site that will not be mentioned) will know the answer to your question... Anyway this is where it originated...

Having found out that I have the MLB network on my "cheaper" cable package. I was watching a show about the ballparks around the country. Seems that incorporating older buildings into stadiums is common. Having only been in Ford Field once I thought that they did a good job at designing it. The Mud Hens park in Toledo is another good example.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    You lost me. Maybe I haven't been here long enough to get whatever you're trying to say.

BTW, you must be a Harry Potter fan! The "site that will not be mentioned" gave it away.
    KingRex, if you contact me privately [[I haven't tried that new DYES function yet)... I'll bring you up to speed!

https://twitter.com/Bill_Shea19/stat...35453964402688

pretty cool shot of Campell Ewalds offices being built out.. they're doing HUGE work in there.