Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default fire? woodbridge?

smelling and seeing all kinds of smoke in woodbridge right now. sirens can be heard not too far away. anybody know whats going on?

There was a house fire on Trumbull, North of Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    There was a house fire on Trumbull, North of Warren.
    ??
    Oh no. One of those nice homes north of the Sunoco and south of the Woodbridge Pub? How bad was the fire?

A shame... but it looks repairable, albeit with a gut rehab.

Worth it--such a great little building, with that nifty brick cornice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    A shame... but it looks repairable, albeit with a gut rehab.
    Looks like it was a gut rehab before the fire.

Here's how it looked a couple years back when the Google Maps Street View vehicle came through.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

I'm pretty sure that place was empty for a while so I'm sure the fire didn't help any but probably didn't change much either.

I live around the corner from there in 82' and that house had a tenant then, then after about 86, they left and it's been boarded up since...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that place was empty for a while so I'm sure the fire didn't help any but probably didn't change much either.

Yeah both buildings have been boarded up well over a a decade.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Looks like it was a gut rehab before the fire.

Interestingly, it looks like the house to the South was abandoned at the time of the Google Street View photo, but is now occupied.

It was empty in September 2009 when a friend and I stopped to check it out. We saw it on the Wayne Co. Tax Foreclosure auction list & thought it would be a great rehab, being so close to WSU and all. The front doors were both covered by plywood, but had signs of forced entry. It appeared squatters were living in there - I didn't go in but saw clothes, food wrappers and a mattress in what would have been a front room. Too bad it burned. It seemed like a nice building. If we would have had the money, we would have gotten it.

call me stoopid, but does a house like that burn because of the squatters using something for heat? what would be other causes since the electricity for sure is off...... [[arson?? insurance??)

call me stoopid, but does a house like that burn because of the squatters using something for heat? what would be other causes since the electricity for sure is off...... [[arson?? insurance??)
    Unlikely to be insurance in a case of a long-abandoned building. More likely squatters trying to keep warm or cook or smoke. Could be arson, but for kicks rather than profit. Presumably the fire department will have some opinion--I don't know how hard they look into fires in abandoned buildings though.

That is a very cool building based on the exterior facade. I wonder if SW housing solutions would be interested....but maybe this is out of their area. Are they repairing the house next door? I see the scaffold in the first picture.

Umm, the scaffolding has been there for a few seasons, maybe longer. It looks pretty ship-wrecked itself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    That is a very cool building based on the exterior facade. I wonder if SW housing solutions would be interested....but maybe this is out of their area. Are they repairing the house next door? I see the scaffold in the first picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Southwest Solutions is developing Piquette Square on the Corner of Piquette and Brush streets near New Center. So I don't think it is out of area. But who knows.

They've saved and rehabbed many apartment buildings in Southwest. I wish they could do the same elsewhere. Like all the grand old apartments in and around Dexter-Linwood and the North End. In a city where not that many apartment buildings exist, letting any be demolished is a huge tragedy. Like the art deco apartment masterpieces many of which have already been torn down, but some still remain.

I may be all mixed up or missing something, but that photo of the house that burned...isn't there snow on the ground in Detroit right now???? Or is that an old photo and the building has burned previous to this time?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    I may be all mixed up or missing something, but that photo of the house that burned...isn't there snow on the ground in Detroit right now???? Or is that an old photo and the building has burned previous to this time?
    That's not an old picture, it was taken on Monday.

That all happened before the snow storm.
    I smelled it all night.
    I believe Gassant owns that building.
    Yeah, squatters!!!
    All over Detroit!!!
    Right in our own back yards.

I know Gahssan owns the buidling next door. The one that looks like a garage and goes straight through to the alley.