Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

ccbatson Guest

Default A must read for everyone

Mark Levins' new book "Liberty and Tyranny", currently the #1 best seller for 3-4 weeks, is something every person that feels that freedom is important, owes themselves to read.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Mark Levins' new book "Liberty and Tyranny", currently the #1 best seller for 3-4 weeks, is something every person that feels that freedom is important, owes themselves to read.
    Cc , haven't you figured out the trick yet. The well funded right wing think tanks buy up the books so it shows up as #1 or 2 on the New York Times best seller list. There's no way a hack like Levins could write a book people would want to buy much less read.

ccbatson Guest

OK, now that the sour grape juveniles have thrown their ad hominem barbs out there, how about some open minded thinking individuals actually read the book, and THEN comment? A unique idea and approach for most liberal types, but well worth the effort.

OK, now that the sour grape juveniles have thrown their ad hominem barbs out there, how about some open minded thinking individuals actually read the book, and THEN comment? A unique idea and approach for most liberal types, but well worth the effort.
    Why bother reading a book when you've heard the authors simple-minded propoganda on the radio, or read it in his blogs? the guy is a tool. see, bats, unlike you and most of your ilk, I pay attention to what the people on the other side say and write. i then try to verify any alleged facts the provide, and they are either unverifiable or outright fabrications about 65-70% of the time. Another 10-20% are extreme distortions. That is why I am so often ready with links that disprove much of what you claim as "truth"

Freedom as interpreted by someone with extremely narrow and RW biased viewpoints that likely precisely mirror your own, since I very much doubt that you would ever purchase and read a book written by anyone that even had the slightest liberal or centrist reputation.

With nearly 20,000 posts to your credit, and having viewed maybe 5% of them, that pretty much expouse the same objectivist principles over and over, ad nauseum, I can pretty much guess with a great degree of accuracy, about what material is contained within your book recommendations, w/o actually needing to purchase and read them.
    Last edited by Flanders; April-17-09 at 09:23 AM.

I've never heard of this guy or read anything by him so I can't automatically defend or attack his book. Wikipedia says he has a 'conservative radio program'. That, by itself, might be the end of the discussion for some people.

I was intrigued by firstandten's comment, "The well funded right wing think tanks buy up the books so it shows up as #1 or 2 on the New York Times best seller list." I remember unions buying quanities of Speaker of the House Wright's book. Which right wing think tanks bought this book?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRoch View Post
    By your reasoning no one should have ever even picked up a book written by MLK jr. or many other authers as they were all attacked with the same ridiculous ploy.
    not a valid comparrison at all, and it is not a "ridiculous ploy." Why would anyone buy a book from someone who has proven time and time again to manufacture lies out of whole cloth on his radio show and in his blogs? comparing this guy to MLK Jr. is absurd at so many levels. hell, comparing him to actual right-wing intellectuals like Buckley Jr. is absurd at so many levels. the guy doesn't have an original thought in his head

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitRoch View Post
    Well I have never listened to him.Nor do I care to. my head is spinning from watching the zombies and dittoheads trying to figure out what is fact and what is fiction.
    But the comparisson is not to MLK personally and you know it. It was to the idea that we should automatically dismiss people just on the grounds of someone else's interpretation of his ideals which is wrong.

Hell I wish that were the case because if it had, we could have been spared the likes of hitler,stalin,marx,pol pot,etc.
    well, then we are in agreement on that. i was speaking of my personal experience with hearing/reading levin first hand. his book about his dog was a worthwhile read

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I've never heard of this guy or read anything by him so I can't automatically defend or attack his book. Wikipedia says he has a 'conservative radio program'. That, by itself, might be the end of the discussion for some people.

I was intrigued by firstandten's comment, "The well funded right wing think tanks buy up the books so it shows up as #1 or 2 on the New York Times best seller list." I remember unions buying quanities of Speaker of the House Wright's book. Which right wing think tanks bought this book?
    Oladub here's a link to how this works. I'm sure other special interest groups do the same type of thing because they are gaming the system but the right seems to have this down pretty good

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...wing-publisher

Remember you only need 5000 copies to get on the NY Times best seller list. You have groups like the Heritage foundation which has a several million dollar budget just for publicity. and then they can go out to these conservative conferences and give the books away or sell them for $ 1.00. Its all about the bulk sales and being able to say as part of your books publicity that you're on the NY Times best seller list.

sometimes reading books with divergent perspectives..can lead to a clearer understanding of what others are thinking...therefore when their theories are laid out they may a some basis or merit worth discussing...but in the end it can solidify your position.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    sometimes reading books with divergent perspectives..can lead to a clearer understanding of what others are thinking...therefore when their theories are laid out they may a some basis or merit worth discussing...but in the end it can solidify your position.
    That is very true but don't misrepresent your position by giving the impression that everybody is reading the book, that its on the NY Times best seller list therefore it is a credible book. Corsi's book was right out front as soon as you walked into Borders screaming NY Times best seller list. Obama is a fraud"

That book was one of the worst hatchet jobs you would even would want to witness.

And if you ever heard that loon Levins and you can hear him on right wing WJR the 50,000 watt blowtorch and think that guy thoughts run any deeper than right-wing talking points then god bless you ,buy the book.

ccbatson Guest

For crying out loud look at all of the liberal squirming going on....have a bit of courage and readd the book for G-d's sake, what are you so afraid of?

Heck I went through Al Gore's garbage [[but hated to add to his bazillions of ill gotten wealth) and strengthened my opposition to his hoax in the process.

For crying out loud look at all of the liberal squirming going on....have a bit of courage and readd the book for G-d's sake, what are you so afraid of?

Heck I went through Al Gore's garbage [[but hated to add to his bazillions of ill gotten wealth) and strengthened my opposition to his hoax in the process.

Gee, Cc I haven't heard you that passionate about something in quite a while.

It almost makes me want to go out and buy the cliff notes version just to see what you're so excited about.

Why would a bunch of statists want to read this book?

COMES WITH ONE FREE 'GIVE ME LIBERTY - NOT A BAILOUT!' BUMPER STICKER!

http://www.patriotdepot.com/libertya...manifesto.aspx

Is this the new Cc, that starts new posts, instead of leaving Cc droppings on older threads ?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Why would a bunch of statists want to read this book?
    Nice to throw that term around. One of the nice things on this board is that the statists you refer to even though we may disagree we try for the most part to support our positions which makes at least this part of the board different from the Freep and other similar boards.

Knowing what I do about Levins give me three reasons... excuse me make that truths, not lies, not misrepresentations, nothing out of context that I should read his book and I would seriously consider it.

I try in my own way to support my positions, how about supporting yours!

ccbatson Guest

Don't be cowards. Read it. You must realize that refusing to have an open mind and making up lame excuses as to why you will not read something for which you have no real reason to avoid other than the liberal media programming and party line responses to the proposition is a very weak position to take.

By the time I would have time to read this book there would most likely be someone else in the White House.

ccbatson Guest

It is not very long, but I also hope that someone else will be in the White House [[and in congress) ASAP. This book could help that cause.

Another Must-Read, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.

Also, a good read is Cracking the Code, by Thom Hartmann. Its a great reference to words the neo-cons have replaced to further their evil agenda.

ccbatson Guest

Also on the reading list:

Chris Horner's "Politically iIncorrect Guide to Global Warming"
    Michael Steyn's "America Alone"
    Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism"

And the classic/timeless Ayn Rand nonfiction [[Virtues of selfishness, Capitalism the unknown ideal, and others).