Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Arch over street: identify this building

Wow! I came across this in an old folder of saved antique Detroit images, but I have no info on it other than that it was taken in 1955. Can someone identify this amazing street-spanning building?

Attachment 5134

Crowley's downtown department store. I have some photos of that bridge coming down about 20 years later.

Anyone know the name of the architect?

I can't believe Detroit let this one go.

Me neither.

And the land sat vacant for decades afterward. Sound familiar? A lot of the buildings over there were razed for a mall that Taubman planned to put in that never happened. The Cadillac Square Building, the Folly's [[Family) Theatre, all bit the dust for this failed venture. It's hard to believe in the Compuware HQ era just how much land - and for how long - sat vacant for decades after the Kern's Block, old Opera House et al came down. Why I have to laugh when people say the land is more marketable sans building. They obviously haven't read their Detroit history books.

Here's a photo showing the land where Compuware is now being used for parking following the demo of the Opera House and Crowley's, which was at right. Notice the library, which is still there, to give you a visual clue:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/hudsons2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I can't believe Detroit let this one go.
    Me neither. I've never seen that before. It looks really incredible. I'm gonna have to find some more pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Me neither. I've never seen that before. It looks really incredible. I'm gonna have to find some more pictures of it.
    Here's the building on the left: http://tinyurl.com/ybkde4a
    Crowley's with the National Theatre for reference - and the vacant Kern Block in front of it:http://tinyurl.com/ycav9qg
    Bridge: http://tinyurl.com/ydv79a2
    Bridge being torn down:http://tinyurl.com/ydj9ce5

Crowley's bridge over Library Street that connected their two buildings was previously mentioned on this thread, which included a close-up photo of the rich detailing on the building's facade. There is also an aerial photo showing the location of the bridge relative to the two buildings.

Man, that building has one mf 'er of a cornice !

Man,that cabbie must of had some connections at GM to get a '58 Chevy in 1955!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Crowley's bridge over Library Street that connected their two buildings was previously mentioned on this thread, which included a close-up photo of the rich detailing on the building's facade. There is also an aerial photo showing the location of the bridge relative to the two buildings.

In danger of polluting a thread with other info, that fountain didn't last very long.

Now the spot of Ernst & Young.

progress right? i absolutely love looking at old photographs like this, but at the same time it can be pretty painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    In danger of polluting a thread with other info, that fountain didn't last very long.

Now the spot of Ernst & Young.
    And of course, that fountain was WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than what was there before [[sarcasm): http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/cityhall

Unless I am downtown, I get lost looking at it through pictures. I can picture the Grand Circus and Greektown, Yet the area around Camp Mars throws me for a loop everytime.Eventhough it has only been a couple years since I walked that area while spending time downtown.
    Onee good thing I can say for the people mover.

Wow! That was one big bridge between the buildings!

good eye 56'

This is just as heart wrenching as watching a pure, mint condition vintage car go through a shredder.

wasn't there a simialr bridge att Cass Tech? I think, in all, there were a number oof brudges connecting buildings in Detroit at one time. The Packard Plant as well.

I was in Crowley's many times over the early years of my life [[although we always kind of had to sneak in, since my grandmother worked around the corner at Hudson's). Of course, like all old Crowley's shoppers I remember the high-ceilinged ground floor, and those loud old wooden escalators. I also remember the big hulking "outmoded" place coming down as part of Detroit's "renaissance" of the late '70s for the much promised, but never-to-be-built, Cadillac Center mall.

What I don't remember is ever walking across that bridge. In fact, I don't remember ever shopping in the building on the other side of Library St., which I think was used pretty much exclusively as office and warehouse space in those days [['60s-'70s). I know the Library St. building was Crowley's original store, but, once the Farmer St. building was opened, was the Library building ever used as retail space? And was that bridge that connected it with the main Farmer St. store ever open to the public?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-06-10 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    That fountain was part of the hideous Kennedy Square that replaced Detroit's beautiful City Hall, in yet another misguided part of the city's drive to "modernize". And I'm surprised to see a picture of the fountain actually in operation, since it was dry for almost all of the time that that monstrosity was there, and leaked into the parking garage below on the few occasions when it was actually in use.

For those not old enough to remember, or not from this area, believe me, the Ernst & Young building is an improvement.

There was a good thread back in October 2008 with some very nice photos posted by Mikeg of Crowley's. I found the thread in the HOF archives, but the first part with the pictures seems to have been lopped off. Here is the rest of the thread, which does contain a little more information.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1225154874

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    wasn't there a simialr bridge att Cass Tech? I think, in all, there were a number oof brudges connecting buildings in Detroit at one time. The Packard Plant as well.
    It attached Cass Tech to Commerce over Vernor[[?).

Attachment 5140
    wsu/vmc

Since there is a similar bridge [[similar in height, not in depth) connecting Compuware to the parking deck, in the exact same place, it's too bad they didn't try to incorporate any motifs from the old bridge into the new one. A clock, for example, would be sufficient. Oh well. Cool photos [[yes, even the one of the fountain at Kennedy Square), thanks for sharing!

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Man,that cabbie must of had some connections at GM to get a '58 Chevy in 1955!

Beat me to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast