Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1900 census images

A web site maintained by the Latter Day Saints [[Mormons) has put up a searchable program of the 1900 US census, including images of the census reports. Unlike Ancestry.com, this site is free and super-easy to navigate.

Looking up old Detroiters is fun. For example, here's Henry Ford and family, living at 1293 2nd Street [[due to the change of street numbering after 1920, lord knows where that address might have been). Have fun!
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

1293 was between Amsterdam and Railroad Streets.

The Detroit City Directory from the year of the address changes shows old and new. They keep a copy of it handy at Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A web site maintained by the Latter Day Saints [[Mormons) has put up a searchable program of the 1900 US census, including images of the census reports. Unlike Ancestry.com, this site is free and super-easy to navigate.

Looking up old Detroiters is fun. For example, here's Henry Ford and family, living at 1293 2nd Street [[due to the change of street numbering after 1920, lord knows where that address might have been). Have fun!
    Ray can you supply a link?

http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...start.html#p=0

I assume that's what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post

Don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post

Yeah, that's the one, Leanna. Thanks. Meant to include it in my post and had a brain fart.

Thanks to this post, I found my great-great grandfather. I called my 80 year old grandmother, who never knew his name. And there he is, with wife and children, in the records of the 1900 census...

I've been using Family Search for a while. It is good. It's not as good as Ancestry.com, since familysearch does have some census records you can't actually view. And the familysearch website is done by volunteers, so you will find a mistake here and there. It can be hard to read the old census records sometimes.

Familysearch is a great site. And it's free. It doesn't have all that Ancestry.com has, but Ancestry costs like $13 a month for American records and $30 a month for world records.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thanks to this post, I found my great-great grandfather. I called my 80 year old grandmother, who never knew his name. And there he is, with wife and children, in the records of the 1900 census...
    Good work, English....now you need to find HIS father! It never ends.