Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Will Sam Riddle walk?

Time has almost come for the jury to reach a verdict on whether Sam Riddle is guilty or not. What is your vote and do you think he will be convicted?
    I think he's guilty but he'll end up with a hung jury.
    Question for me is "Will the government try him again?".

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Time has almost come for the jury to reach a verdict on whether Sam Riddle is guilty or not. What is your vote and do you think he will be convicted?
    If the federal government did their job and presented the evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Grady Riddle knew that the monies that he was receiving was bribes to Monica Conyers and he received a cut then it is a no-brainer that he will be convicted.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

No, he will not walk, but Monica may get off w/probation.

He may get off but we all know the story now and he has been exposed. He needs to pack his bags and follow CB down to Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    No, he will not walk, but Monica may get off w/probation.
    The federal government don't give probation. That's a state thing.

Default Gotta wait for the closings ...

How well does the government wrap together all the evidence will be most telling. And I think Riddle's legal team may be able to make an argument along the lines that the witnesses said a lot of things about Monica and what others did, and that Riddles errors, if any, was working for Monica.

It only takes one juror to get a hung jury. And I think the jurors will have lots of questions. They hear A LOT about Monica Conyers, but what exactly did Riddle do? He picked up some money. She was his boss. It could be for anything. And I don't think a single one of the people who paid consultant fees or were shaken down for cash got anything. The oddest one is the letter that John Conyers wrote to for the deep water injection well -- and the congressman was cleared. Seems there are more questions than answers. He has good shot at hung jury. Acquital is most likely if the jurors see Monica Coyers as a nut who takes everyone down around her.
    As for her, I think she can face the maximum time. I think Cohn is the sentencing judge. She was a city council woman who was asking for money for her support. You get the maximum time in jail.

When the OJ Simpson trial was shown live on Court TV, I was struck by the difference between what I saw and how it was reported on newscasts and in the newspapers. It's difficult at best to gauge how the testimony was presented unless you were there. Newspapers and TV broadcasts tend to play up the more salacious details over the more incremental process of establishing a pattern of criminal behavior. Sam Riddle himself complimented the prosecution for the case they were building against him. I still expect him to act up before this trial is over if only to attempt to get a mistrial. He chose not to testify because he had no rebuttal to the evidence brought against him. I believe he's resigned to a guilty verdict and hoping for the best during sentencing.

I certainly hope Sam gets a ride on this case. The case seemed to target the Conyers and not just Monica.
    Last edited by Brittz; February-05-10 at 01:00 PM.

Attachment 5133

Sam will walk...

Ravine Guest

"...He chose not to testify because he had no rebuttal to the evidence brought against him...."

Eno, you don't state that the above comment is only your opinion, but that's what it is, and I don't agree with you. There are a handful of reasons which could explain his not-testifying.
    For all we know, he may have been busting to do so. Probably was, actually.

My guess is that Shady Grady will do time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "...He chose not to testify because he had no rebuttal to the evidence brought against him...."

Eno, you don't state that the above comment is only your opinion, but that's what it is, and I don't agree with you. There are a handful of reasons which could explain his not-testifying.
    For all we know, he may have been busting to do so. Probably was, actually.
    Ravine, you can assume that anything posted on these threads are an opinion of the person authoring them.

You state that there are a handful of reasons to explain Riddle not testifying on his own behalf but you offer not a single one of them. Sam Riddle welcomed his trial to allow him to speak truth to power or he so claimed but the presentation of the overwhelming evidence against him has stunned and silenced him. He has no plausible explanation for the money he collected on Monica Conyers behalf nor the money he was paid via Monica Conyers for him acting as a consultant via the bribed contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    He will walk if they got enough Detroit residents on the jury
    Too bad you have such an negative opinion of Detroiters. We must scary you. {{{BOO}}}

BTW genius, the trial is federal.

I know that, and your point?

Are you under the impression that Federal juror pools exclude City of Detroit residents or something??

Duhhhhhhhhhh????
    Well you know there is no requirement that they must have "Detroiters" seated in a federal trial. All they need is citizens of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post

With all the damaging testimony against her, she should get the full 5 years. She was definitely a smart cookie, with a good attorney.

On what little we know from outside the courtroom I would vote 'not guilty' or I would hang the jury. [[and yes I live in Detroit, though no explanation from ridaron what that has to do with it)

Conyers is the boss, the greed head, and the perp. Sam, is different. Like Geoffrey Feiger said, Sam Riddle has been making a living for a long time letting people think he can deliver things; not necessarily making either promises or delivery.

While the Feds have high conviction rates, my best guess is that the short defense presentation suggests the defense thinks there is reasonable doubt among the jurors.

DEE-troit
    do you call it Daytwa?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    With all the damaging testimony against her, she should get the full 5 years. She was definitely a smart cookie, with a good attorney.
    I think you meant to sag that she was definitely a crumbing cookie with a smart attorney since it was he who told her to plead guity to the single count.

I would like to propose a theory. I think the court purposely delayed her sentencing to gauge what information would come out of the Sam Riddle trial. Regardless of what happens to him, the judge has enough ammunition to sentence her to the max five years.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post

Hahahah!!!!!
    Was not familiar with the subject and seeing that title I thought it looked a bit strange; a topic about a car accident victim recovering...

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I don't believe that to be true.

"Probation officers supervise offenders who are sentenced to a term of probation by the court or who are on parole or supervised release after they are released from prison."

and...

"Congress laid the foundation for probation first. The Federal Probation Act of 1925 established a probation system in the U.S. courts and gave courts the power to appoint probation officers and to place defendants on probation. The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts assumed responsibility for the probation system in 1940."

From http://www.uscourts.gov/fedprob/system/system.html

That being said, I agree that MonCon's sentencing was likely delayed once it became clear that Riddle would go to trial to provide the judge with enough salacious detail to throw the book at her at sentencing. From the sounds of it, Riddle had quite a bit of animus towards MonCon even when he was working with her. This may be his little bit of revenge.

Will Sam Riddle Walk?

He's gonna walk his ass right over to jail. Might not be as long as it would have been, but he's doing jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    I don't believe that to be true.

"Probation officers supervise offenders who are sentenced to a term of probation by the court or who are on parole or supervised release after they are released from prison."

and...

"Congress laid the foundation for probation first. The Federal Probation Act of 1925 established a probation system in the U.S. courts and gave courts the power to appoint probation officers and to place defendants on probation. The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts assumed responsibility for the probation system in 1940."

From http://www.uscourts.gov/fedprob/system/system.html

That being said, I agree that MonCon's sentencing was likely delayed once it became clear that Riddle would go to trial to provide the judge with enough salacious detail to throw the book at her at sentencing. From the sounds of it, Riddle had quite a bit of animus towards MonCon even when he was working with her. This may be his little bit of revenge.
    You're right. What I should have said was that you can get probation after doing some jail time. That said, the lawyer for Conyers as well as her may have been hoping for minimum jail time like a year behind bars and 4 year probation. However, after all the dirt that has come out about shake-down Monica, the judge may decide to give her 5 years behind bars. The mistake that Conyers made was that she waited too long to plead out. As soon as they had Rayford Jackson, she should been down at the McNamara building making a deal.

She's gonna walk to the probation officer.

I'm betting today he'll walk right out of there.

LodgeDodger Guest

He won't walk. I'm willing to bet he gets five years.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast