Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Starters Detroit....

opening tomorrow. 4501 Woodward, near Wayne State. I will be one of the people behind the bar. Stop in and say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by cgellasch View Post
    opening tomorrow. 4501 Woodward, near Wayne State. I will be one of the people behind the bar. Stop in and say hello.
    OK. What time?

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    OK. What time?
    I will be there from 12-12. We open at 11 am

Stopped in around noon today. There was a fair amount of customers, considering this was an unpublicized opening. They have a large bar, and plenty of booths and tables with lots of televisions. I sat at the bar and had a mojito and the "catfish bite" appetizer, which came with lemon and tartar sauce. Fried in corn meal and tasty. It was supposed to be a 6 oz. basket, but seemed more like 16 oz.. The prices are reasonable considering the large portions. A lady at the bar had the char-grilled chicken breast dinner, which had 4 large breasts.

The owner stopped by and introduced himself. The business is family owned and operated and they have been in the business for over 30 years. Negotiations are underway with WSU to secure parking spaces in the structure at Studio One for future valet parking.

Happy hour is from 3 to 7. Stop in for the price list and see cgellasch [[see above posts).

Here’s the daily menu:
    http://www.startersbarandgrill.com/menu.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    Stopped in around noon today. There was a fair amount of customers, considering this was an unpublicized opening. They have a large bar, and plenty of booths and tables with lots of televisions. I sat at the bar and had a mojito and the "catfish bite" appetizer, which came with lemon and tartar sauce. Fried in corn meal and tasty. It was supposed to be a 6 oz. basket, but seemed more like 16 oz.. The prices are reasonable considering the large portions. A lady at the bar had the char-grilled chicken breast dinner, which had 4 large breasts.

The owner stopped by and introduced himself. The business is family owned and operated and they have been in the business for over 30 years. Negotiations are underway with WSU to secure parking spaces in the structure at Studio One for future valet parking.

Happy hour is from 3 to 7. Stop in for the price list and see cgellasch [[see above posts).

Here’s the daily menu:
    Sounds good to me!

Buy American Guest

Hope the bar/grill is a huge success...just pray that Monica doesn't show up.

Nothing says a restaurant is not for me like valet parking. Good luck, though!

Quote Originally Posted by cgellasch View Post
    opening tomorrow.
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading. Starter's first bar opened about 30 years ago in Detroit and has been doing great business ever since. It is located on Plymouth Rd near the Southfield Freeway. A few years ago they took over the Ruby Tuesdays at Fairlane. This will be thier third location, with two located within the city limits and the third a mile from the city limits.

I wish them continued success and growth in serving our community.

Detroitnerd, Starters is like Chili's or TGIFridays. The reason for the valet parking is because parking is so limited. Starters being open will affect parking for those that go to Radio Shack, Bigby Coffee, and Ultretcht art supplies. Hopefully, the valet service will free up spaces needed for these businesses or they might see a decline in patronage.

A "valet parking" sign on a restaurant or bar is always a signal for me to go elsewhere.. You want my business, provide me a free place to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    A "valet parking" sign on a restaurant or bar is always a signal for me to go elsewhere.. You want my business, provide me a free place to park.
    ...And this is one of the reasons why Detroit is unsuccessful as a city. Is there any other major city in the country where someone would have this as a reasonable expectation of or criteria for patronizing a restaurant right in the middle of the city?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ...And this is one of the reasons why Detroit is unsuccessful as a city. Is there any other major city in the country where someone would have this as a reasonable expectation of or criteria for patronizing a restaurant right in the middle of the city?
    This. yay for character limits

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Starters wants to offer valet parking because it knows that parking in the area is limited, especially for those that don't live in the area. They're not making valet parking a requirement to patronize their establishment like some other places. So, Hermod, I guess you wouldn't attend a Lions, Red Wings, or Tigers game because they don't offer free parking?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Starters wants to offer valet parking because it knows that parking in the area is limited, especially for those that don't live in the area. They're not making valet parking a requirement to patronize their establishment like some other places. So, Hermod, I guess you wouldn't attend a Lions, Red Wings, or Tigers game because they don't offer free parking?
    A sporting match, a circus, or a convention center, I will pay to park.

If I go to a downtown place with nothing but street parking, I will feed the meter or go to a self-parking garage or lot.

What irritates me no end [[here in Florida) are the restaurants which have their own parking lots, but which block them off from the public and have a valet parking only booth in front. Ruth's Chris Steak House is that way and for the nine years that i have lived here, I have never eaten there.

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading. Starter's first bar opened about 30 years ago in Detroit and has been doing great business ever since. It is located on Plymouth Rd near the Southfield Freeway. A few years ago they took over the Ruby Tuesdays at Fairlane. This will be thier third location, with two located within the city limits and the third a mile from the city limits.

I wish them continued success and growth in serving our community.
    Information like this is why I don't hate this board. This is good to know; it tells me this place is worth my business. Looks like I'll have to bring the crew by soon.

I'm a vegetarian and the person I'll likely bring is counting her calories. What are those options like?

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    Information like this is why I don't hate this board. This is good to know; it tells me this place is worth my business. Looks like I'll have to bring the crew by soon.

I'm a vegetarian and the person I'll likely bring is counting her calories. What are those options like?
    I’m a lacto-ovo vegetarian and on occasion I eat fish. I had the catfish bite appetizer when I went there Friday. They have salads, fish, and fettuccini alfredo. So the veggie options are limited. This is somewhat expected, since it seems to lean to a sports bar atmosphere. Here’s the online menu:

When would Fat Burgers have it's opening?