Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default My Boss took away our vacation time today

We had a staff meeting and my boss announced effective immediately there will be no vacation time allowed. I had three weeks a year up until today of which I have used zero days. I work in a doctors office, we are understaffed and overworked as it is. I work 10-12 hr days, rarely get a lunch break. I work overtime every week and don't get paid overtime wages, just straight time. I have had it, any advice?

employers are totally taking advantage of employees, cutting pay, taking away benefits, because they know that people can't find another job, and employees basically have to "take it".

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    employers are totally taking advantage of employees, cutting pay, taking away benefits, because they know that people can't find another job, and employees basically have to "take it".
    Bend over! I'm taking it alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Yep. They are also ignoring health and safety laws, and other regulations. An acquaintance recently had his pay method changed to a debit card account, without his knowledge or consent. One day, the card just arrived in the mail. No letter of explanation. HR guy told him to remember that he was hired "at will"....if he doesn't like it, he could leave!

Retroit Guest

qweek, it sounds like your boss is gearing up for Obamascare.

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by qweek View Post
    I work overtime every week and don't get paid overtime wages, just straight time. I have had it, any advice?
    Working over 40 hours in a week is, generally, mandatory overtime pay by federal and state law. From the US Dept. Of Labor...

For covered, nonexempt employees, the Fair Labor Standards Act [[FLSA) requires overtime pay [[PDF) to be at least one and one-half times an employee's regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a workweek. Some exceptions apply under special circumstances to police and firefighters and to employees of hospitals and nursing homes.
    Read more here...
    http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/overtime.htm

This old cartoon is in my mind, pretty scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iumEGAUceDg
    Last edited by qweek; February-03-10 at 11:01 PM.

It's the economy, your employer has taken a cut on their receivables, should they just eat it?
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; February-03-10 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks for listening and offering some helpful advice. I must get to sleep so I can be a dedicated, happy employee in the morning. I feel like wearing a lifejacket tomorrow over my scrubs, just in case the boat sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by qweek View Post
    We had a staff meeting and my boss announced effective immediately there will be no vacation time allowed. I had three weeks a year up until today of which I have used zero days. I work in a doctors office, we are understaffed and overworked as it is. I work 10-12 hr days, rarely get a lunch break. I work overtime every week and don't get paid overtime wages, just straight time. I have had it, any advice?
    Sorry to hear about that...

Does this mean that your boss will no longer take a vacation as well.... I swear we are reverting back to the early 20th century... before the time of unions... when sweatshops were the norm.

Sounds like the office workers need to take a blue flu day....

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    It's the economy, your employer has taken a cut on their receivables, should they just eat it?
    Yes. That's the risk of business. In the very least, he has the legal responsibility of paying at least time and a half to his workers for every hour over forty.

Nowadays, I'ts just a race to the bottom. Except if you work on Wall Street - than you get a 50 million dollar bonus - from the taxpayers.

I worked in a print shop for 13 years, Many times over 40hrs a week with no time and a half. Not many raises after I hit 9 bucks an hour. Had 2 weeks vacation though and never used it all in a year.Biggest thing was I had Health and Dental insurance. Went for 3 years without calling in sick.
    That place went under. Got into the schools , Same healthcare plan and 7 years into the deal same amount of vacation. I get the point were people are coming from. This ecomomy stinks and people who have a job don't really want to lose it.
    Lots of places will pretty much use this on you nowdays, Just to let you know who is the Boss.

America, land of the free.............

Get a lawyer, qweek, and get your overtime back. Join a union and get yourself some leverage.

The horse is hobbling along, get you a club and beat it.

Do you folks not understand when the economy is in the shape it is in, employers are feeling it as well? What you don't know may scare the hell out of you. The company you work for may be in hock up to it's eyeballs and the bank is ready to call it in any day. MANY, many businesses are in that position right now. Just hanging by a thread and hoping the economy rebounds so they can dig out. And I know of many taking their employees with them, keeping people working when they should be cutting them loose.

Yeah go out on strike...

Re: Should the employer just eat the loss due to a bad economy, and the employee make no sacrifice whatsoever?

Quote: ""Yes. That's the risk of business."

What people don't realize, by cutting your compensation, they are probably saving your job. Think it would be easy to walk in to a room full of people and tell them they just lost all their vacation time? They do things like this because they have to. You folks act like they are taking some sadistic joy in mistreating people.

Reading the opinions displayed here, it's no wonder businesses avoid this place.

Ravine Guest

The horse is hobbling along, get you a club and beat it.

Do you folks not understand when the economy is in the shape it is in, employers are feeling it as well? What you don't know may scare the hell out of you. The company you work for may be in hock up to it's eyeballs and the bank is ready to call it in any day. MANY, many businesses are in that position right now. Just hanging by a thread and hoping the economy rebounds so they can dig out. And I know of many taking their employees with them, keeping people working when they should be cutting them loose.

Yeah go out on strike...
    Most of that may be accurate and true, but would it fucking kill you to show Qweek-- who has always been a cheerful, non-hostile member of the DY community-- a goddam shred of sympathy?

Qweek, I'm really sorry to hear you're losing your vacation time. I hope you're able to use it once your office can afford to hire more staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haikoont
    For covered, nonexempt employees, the Fair Labor Standards Act [[FLSA) requires overtime pay [[PDF) to be at least one and one-half times an employee's regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a workweek. Some exceptions apply under special circumstances to police and firefighters and to employees of hospitals and nursing homes.
    I think I'm the only person who didn't gloss over the key word "nonexempt".

The following are examples of employees exempt from both the minimum wage and overtime pay requirements:
    • Executive, administrative, and professional employees [[including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and certain skilled computer professionals [[as defined in the Department of Labor's regulations) 1
    • Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments
    • Employees of certain small newspapers and switchboard operators of small telephone companies
    • Seamen employed on foreign vessels
    • Employees engaged in fishing operations
    • Employees engaged in newspaper delivery
    • Farm workers employed on small farms [[i.e., those that used less than 500 "man‑days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year)
    • Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm
    The following are examples of employees exempt from the overtime pay requirements only:
    • Certain commissioned employees of retail or service establishments
    • Auto, truck, trailer, farm implement, boat, or aircraft salespersons employed by non‑manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
    • Auto, truck, or farm implement parts‑clerks and mechanics employed by non-manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
    • Railroad and air carrier employees, taxi drivers, certain employees of motor carriers, seamen on American vessels, and local delivery employees paid on approved trip rate plans
    • Announcers, news editors, and chief engineers of certain non‑metropolitan broadcasting stations
    • Domestic service workers who reside in their employers' residences
    • Employees of motion picture theaters
    • Farmworkers
    http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm#who

Quote: "Most of that may be accurate and true, but would it fucking kill you to show Qweek-- who has always been a cheerful, non-hostile member of the DY community-- a goddam shred of sympathy?"

My comments were not directed at qweek. I was simply trying to put the attitude of the thread in perspective. You are right I was a bit cavalier and indifferent in my response, and I apologize for that.

There seems to be an attitude that runs through these threads, this whole town for that matter, that it's "us against them", the big bad employer, the "corporatists". That is if they had their way we'd all be eligible for the remake of "The grapes of wrath". They want everyone broke while their bank accounts swell. It's nonsense, especially in this day and age.

I feel bad for qweek, matter of fact, I feel worse for everyone that has lost their job and has little hope of finding one.

NO vacation at all? Are they at least allowing for a few sick days, for when you have your mental breakdown?

Re: Should the employer just eat the loss due to a bad economy, and the employee make no sacrifice whatsoever?

Quote: ""Yes. That's the risk of business."

What people don't realize, by cutting your compensation, they are probably saving your job. Think it would be easy to walk in to a room full of people and tell them they just lost all their vacation time? They do things like this because they have to. You folks act like they are taking some sadistic joy in mistreating people.

Reading the opinions displayed here, it's no wonder businesses avoid this place.
    Sstashmoo... I don't know... sometimes you make perfect sense... and other times "Mr. Mouth is moving, but Mr. Brain has nothing to say".....

It really seems rather presumptuous of you to think that this is only happening in Michigan.... this type of problem is nationwide... not just in Michigan....
    Last edited by Gistok; February-04-10 at 01:58 PM.

lilpup Guest

When you hired in did you get a written company policy/job description? If so and vacation was specified you might have a legal argument for vacation time already accrued [[or are they meaning 'no vactions for the time being'?). The overtime pay is mandatory. One of my previous employers was audited and had to pay everyone the overtime earned but unpaid for the years audited.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sstashmoo... I don't know... sometimes you make perfect sense... and other times "Mr. Mouth is moving, but Mr. Brain has nothing to say".....

It really seems rather presumptuous of you to think that this is only happening in Michigan.... this type of problem is nationwide... not just in Michigan....
    That may be true, but outside of michigan and other rust belt states the response to the situation is not :
    Get a lawyer, qweek, and get your overtime back. Join a union and get yourself some leverage.
    in response to small business making cuts to stay in business.

Detroit auto industry challenges are affecting people in all types of jobs and walks of life.

Others who are exempt are working 6 day weeks, no overtime... but the employers will suddenly bring back their benefits as a gift when times get better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast