Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rosa Parkls Transit Center eateries???

Anyone know when they are going to open? I haven't been in there in some time. Is there any sign of progress?

I have heard about a Tim Hortons location from multiple sources...I think it would be a good fit and a good quality product. There is a coffee shop in the Lansing bus station and it is wildly popular and always busy from open until close. I could see Timmy's being very popular in that location especially with their reasonably priced warm beverages.

The name "Burger King" has occasionally been floating around as well.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-03-10 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The name "Burger King" has occassinally been floating around as well.
    I have heard Burger King a few times as well... you would think somebody would want to open something, because with all of the traffic that facility gets, it could be a gold mine considering there are really no other fast-food places downtown.

I think Tim Horton's would be a good fit. As long as the product is good and the place is clean, they would probably attract a lot of workers from the AT&T office tower across Cass, and the Federal Services Building, in addition to bus and DPM traffic.

I think anything decent will do well in that location. I work in the federal building and we don't have a cafeteria anymore and the "store" is closing on Friday. I long for some place close to grab a sandwich.

If someone is going to open an eatery there, I just hope that it isn't something that we already have at the Ren Cen.

Quizno's was on Washington Blvd, but is closed for good now. I wouldn't mind having a Tim Hortons, but an Arby's would be nice too. I think there's enough room for at least two eateries. One on each floor and a small news stand.

I heard they are going to open a Cheesecake Factory and a House of Blus at the bus station!

Exactly.....right next to the entrance to the Detroit-Windsor Gondola station....

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    but an Arby's would be nice too.
    I should note there's no longer an Arby's within Detroit city limits.

The only location on 8 Mile & Dequindre closed back in December.

So the one in the RebCen closed too?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    So the one in the RebCen closed too?
    I wasn't aware of a location in the RenCen, but it's not listed on their website.

While it's probably more so a corporate/franchise issue rather than a beef with Detroit [[no pun intended), as they have been struggling the hardest since this recession began, I start to get a little worried when fast food chains begin abandoning the city.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-03-10 at 09:35 PM.

I wonder if anyone will take over Au Bon Pain's spot in CMART after they close today.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010020...transit-center

"A Tim Hortons and Louisiana gumbo restaurant are scheduled to set up shop in a couple weeks, Beckham said" [[towards the bottom of the second page).

It would be nice to see restaurants in the transit center. However, if the city is strapped for cash to keep the building open 24/7 how are they going to pay for the extra transit police to patrol the inside of the building where the restaurants will be for at least 8 to 10 hours a day.Customers will need to feel safe without the lunatics, homeless, and drug addicts panhandling customers for change or robbing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post

"A Tim Hortons and Louisiana gumbo restaurant are scheduled to set up shop in a couple weeks, Beckham said" [[towards the bottom of the second page).
    I alway get the Cheesecake Factory confused with Timmy's and the House of Blues confused with Gumbo places, because New Orleans is the home of the Delta Blues.

Sounds like an awesome place for families, tourists, and new eateries.

Assaults, robberies plague new transit center

Security cuts cause problems for riders

With great fanfare, the $22.5-million Rosa Parks Transit Center opened in July, promising Detroit bus riders a 24-hour shelter that included rest rooms, a bus fare cashier station, information and security booths, a coffee shop and other retail outlets.
    Yet, on any given day or night, riders from around the region are met with "Temporarily Closed" signs posted on the center's doors.
    In a memo obtained by the Free Press, Detroit Department of Transportation officials admit that the transit center closes at various times during the week and weekends because of the city's current fiscal constraints -- its inability to maintain appropriate staffing levels because of the layoffs of security personnel.

Bathing, dealing, sleeping

Within the last three weeks at the Rosa Parks Transit Center, a woman has been caught bathing her cat in a sink, numerous drug deals have gone down and a man who was sleeping in a bathroom stall grew testy when he was awakened by a guard on patrol.
    When it becomes evident to DDOT officials that they do not have enough personnel to keep the center open, they close it. The practice has been happening since November, just as temperatures started to drop."It seems like it closes when it's at zero or below zero," said Clifford Grose, 59, who rides the bus daily.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010020...2040471/?imw=Y

But really, what do you expect when a convicted felon and holdover from the kilpatrick kleptocracy like Charlie Beckham is running the show?
    Last edited by bailey; February-04-10 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post

I suppose Beckham helped line up their "minority investor" too.

So, the transit center closes when the temperature dips below freezing? Genius ...

I'm a big supporter of Detroit, but, damn, this can be a ridiculously frustrating city to live in sometimes.

My favorite absurdist, almost Orwellian, quote from the Freep story:

"We're closing it down to protect the riders that come in there, not to deny them a place to stay warm or seek shelter," Beckham said."

Thanks for thinking of my safety Charlie. I'll try to remember just how safe I and my fellow citizens are due to your foresight. And whenever I see folks locked outside our multi-million dollar brand new transit center, safe from all that brand new indoor crime and risking nothing but a little hypothermia, I won't think of them as being denied warmth or shelter, instead I'll think of them as being made safer by your efforts in keeping those brand new doors to doom locked and your obvious concern for your fellow Detroiter will just make me feel warm all over.

Moving Detroit forward!