Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Southwest Detroit residents want industrial development halted in neighborhood.

Irresistible force meets immovable object.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...n-neighborhood

All this for six jobs?

I had a similar thought. My initial instinct was that Detroit needs all the jobs and economic activity that it can get. After all, even though the jobs are not that significant in the grand scheme of things, we all want to see Detroit's property being used for some kind of profitable purpose. At the same time, given that more than a tenth of city residents live in this area, is it worth it continue to allow increasing amounts of polluting heavy industry? I do not think the answer is clear, but there are definitely important issues to address.

Past City Councils rubber stamped most projects citing development and jobs, looks like more of the same.

Southwest Detroit has my sympathy. Sorry Elena Herrada didn't make Council. It is an area of town that desparately needs representation.

My eldest son lived there for years and still works in the area. He now has asthsma.

I remember an artist that used to have a studio in Harmonie Park. He worked in many mediums. He had this thumb print on hand made papyrus. The paper originally white had turned a darkish yellow. He had sold it to a couple in Southwest Detroit. They returned it because it discolored. An obvious sign of how poluted the air is there.
    Last edited by sumas; February-03-10 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling

All that mess for only 6 jobs?
    Help the mexican restaurants have more clients and you can create more than 6 jobs in the area [[without all the pollution ...).

It's true that the air smells bad there. I remember sometimes I felt a smell like rotten egg...

Long Lake Guest

Six crappy jobs aren't worth it.

A moratorium is worth exploring, especially considering this is the only growing non-core neighborhood in the city.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Long Lake View Post
    Six crappy jobs aren't worth it.

A moratorium is worth exploring, especially considering this is the only growing non-core neighborhood in the city.
    Is the 48217 zip growing? If so, that's great to hear. It certainly didn't look like it last time I was out that way.

Route29 Guest

The City's only truly functioning neighborhood [[growth, jobs) is also it's most consistently abused.

My question: why can't other land in the city be pitched to these developers? God knows we have enough land. Why is all the heavy industry concentrated in SW Detroit? Disperse it.

Southwest Detroit has no representation on City Council and never has. Most of Southwest Detroit is either predominantly Latino and white or a plurality of those. Given the fact that it is not majority black, it is no coincidence that the City has let it deteriorate over the past decades.

I live in 48216 and it has gotten much worse over the past couple years.