Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Xtraordinay Comet/Asteroid

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/arc...10/07/image/a/

P/2010 A2, great images from Hubble on this one. Be sure to enlarge the images, very cool.

Was it a comet and an asteroid collision or an asteroid and an asteroid collision or a comet and a comet collision [[no way)? I don't care it's still pretty sweet.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...n.htm?list6979

Ravine Guest

"...the pressure of sunlight..."

Dang, Qweek. I didn't know that there even was such a thing.
    See that? Thanks to you & your fascination with celestial phenomena, I have learned something.
    Thanks for bringing this business to our attention.
    It's always healthy to contemplate the fact that, despite all of our machinations, lofty intentions, and the seriousness with which we take ourselves, if a large enough fragment of something, anything, is headed for our planet and hangs in there long enough, and with enough remaining mass, to hit us squarely, we are goners.
    Alas; no more Super Bowls, no more TMZ, no more CSI:Poughkeepsie.
    No more being mad at Jack White for moving to Nashville.
    No more speculating about whether or not John Conyers is gay.
    No more talk about being the Greatest Nation on Earth.
    No more fucked-up human beings fighting wars with other fucked-up human beings as a result of the illusion that there is any difference between the two groups.
    Cockroaches, of course, will survive the cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "...the pressure of sunlight..."

Dang, Qweek. I didn't know that there even was such a thing.
    See that? Thanks to you & your fascination with celestial phenomena, I have learned something.
    Thanks for bringing this business to our attention.
    It's always healthy to contemplate the fact that, despite all of our machinations, lofty intentions, and the seriousness with which we take ourselves, if a large enough fragment of something, anything, is headed for our planet and hangs in there long enough, and with enough remaining mass, to hit us squarely, we are goners.
    Alas; no more Super Bowls, no more TMZ, no more CSI:Poughkeepsie.
    No more being mad at Jack White for moving to Nashville.
    No more speculating about whether or not John Conyers is gay.
    No more talk about being the Greatest Nation on Earth.
    No more fucked-up human beings fighting wars with other fucked-up human beings as a result of the illusion that there is any difference between the two groups.
    Cockroaches, of course, will survive the cataclysm.
    Great post Ravine, as always you manage to clearly paint a picture using words alone. I can see those Twinkie eating cockroaches ruling the world someday when we are long gone. I found another article regarding this asteroid/comet, they are speculating that it could be of the same group of asteroids that lead to the dinosaurs demise.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...03/2809016.htm