Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sometimes, there just are no words.

I can think of a few words, like "what a dumbass" and "Darwin awards".

Did you read any of the Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Did you read any of the Comments?
    Yeah, I loved the guy who referred to Jackass as an "educational how-to show"

This stunt was so stupid it's funny. Detroit had a number of Darwin Awards possibilities last year, the Canton train wreck was one, and the incident in Belleville when three men went fisihing and one of them alone weighed about the same as the capacity of the boat. Two of them died then.

This idiot survived, so he would fall into their "At risk survivors" category.

This is a candidate for the one of the those Stunt GONE WRONG [[Spike TV) "Reality" Programs...

Acme Products is so going to get sued.

I know. I was just thinking this person saw too many Wile E. Coyote cartoons ...

The dude is 62. Does Darwin Awards have a lifetime achievement award?

The Darwin award is just for a moron who kills himself bfore he/she has a chance to breed.

I love their criteria, particularly that a candidate "Improves the gene pool by leaving it".

We can laugh and crack jokes about it because of the way it turned out, but this had the potential to really go WRONG. Compressed gunpowder is a high explosive and there would be enough shrapnel from a muffler to kill everyone close by.

There HAS to be video of that stunt somewhere.

Then there is the possibility of him being charged with possession of explosives, or domestic terrorism. They said he was drinking before he did it, but how sober was he when he hatched this brilliant plan?

Route29 Guest

This person was 62 years old. Perhaps this stunt would be more understandable for a middle school or high school age boy, but somehow this person made it through 62 years of life. How?

What did he really think would happen? Gunpowder and gasoline and a flame? As some poster pointed out, he could have hurt or killed those around him as well.
    What kind of other things has this person done or will do on this level that could harm innocent bystanders? Does this person operate a motor vehicile? What does he do with that?
    Maybe I'm a bad person, but I wouldn't feel much sympathy if he died or for the burns he suffered because I cannot fathom how any grown person could possibly think this would turn out ok unless they are suffering from a mental illness. I've been pitch-black, fall-down drunk in my day but I have never ignited gasoline and gunpowder attached to my back or anything even close. Alcohol does not impair judgement to the extent of strapping explosives to one's body and lighting them.

Unlike many wreckless stunts, where there is at least a reasonable chance the person will make it through not seriously injured, there was virtually no chance of him or someone else not getting seriously hurt in this instance.
    Last edited by Route29; February-02-10 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    This person was 62 years old. Perhaps this stunt would be more understandable for a middle school or high school age boy, but somehow this person made it through 62 years of life. How?

What did he really think would happen? Gunpowder and gasoline and a flame? As some poster pointed out, he could have hurt or killed those around him as well.
    What kind of other things has this person done or will do on this level that could harm innocent bystanders? Does this person operate a motor vehicile? What does he do with that?
    Maybe I'm a bad person, but I wouldn't feel much sympathy if he died or for the burns he suffered because I cannot fathom how any grown person could possibly think this would turn out ok unless they are suffering from a mental illness. I've been pitch-black, fall-down drunk in my day but I have never ignited gasoline and gunpowder attached to my back or anything even close. Alcohol does not impair judgement to the extent of strapping explosives to one's body and lighting them.

Unlike many wreckless stunts, where there is at least a reasonable chance the person will make it through not seriously injured, there was virtually no chance of him or someone else not getting seriously hurt in this instance.
    I guess you didn't have an Uncle Gus who started the fire for the Fourth of July barbecue ...