Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Ice House

Default Ice House

I know this has been discussed in the past, but does anyone know the exact location of this?

http://bit.ly/cc025J

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I know this has been discussed in the past, but does anyone know the exact location of this?

http://bit.ly/cc025J

Thanks!
    My brother told me it's on McClellen, he didn't say what cross street it was near.

Plenty more pictures can be seen here. http://icehousedetroit.blogspot.com/

McClellan, two blocks north of Mack.

Thanks--

It is indeed on McClellan, here is a "before" shot I grabbed.

Sorry, here's the photo I just mentioned.

Thanks eastside

I guess in their search they had to find a house where our fine water dept. forgot to cut the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I guess in their search they had to find a house where our fine water dept. forgot to cut the water.
    I think they bring their own. I see a tank truck in the background of some of their pictures.

I guess they're doing what they can as artists/photogs/creatives but I'd rather see some schlub come to town, start a little business and employ four people. All the NYT buzz isn't worth a warm bucket of spit.

Default The ice house...

Anyone know its location?

Sorry, didn't see the other post.

on Mclellan off Mack

Default Ice house images

The Ice House creators availed a creative outlet for many local photographers in the Detroit area. Thank you. Enjoy

Can't keep water pipes inside an empty house, but water can be spent on this. Can't provide warm, safe housing for hundreds in Michigan and tens of thousands just in the U.S. Can't bring myself to appreciate this. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    Can't keep water pipes inside an empty house, but water can be spent on this. Can't provide warm, safe housing for hundreds in Michigan and tens of thousands just in the U.S. Can't bring myself to appreciate this. YMMV
    Yeah, I don't really get the point of Ice House. The Heidelberg Project had a message, but this stunt has come across as just doing it for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get the point of Ice House. The Heidelberg Project had a message, but this stunt has come across as just doing it for the sake of it.
    IMHO there is an analogy to the Heidelberg Project. Obviously it won't be time tested like the Heidelberg but it is a statement none the less.
    http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...1421265562477/
    Urban art, no matter what the cause or outcome sometimes is an avenue to interesting photography.....The ice house is a fine example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    "Heidelberg Project' and this 'ice house project' both have messages.

The message is found in the story of the Emperor's New Clothes by H.C.Anderson;

And everyone who see's a 'message' in these two examples of exploitation are the same as the townsfolk who 'saw' the magnificent clothes on the Emperor.
    Beyond the existential literary analogies the Ice House and the Heidelberg Project are there for us to notice if we choose.

detroitjim Guest

If you aint see it live , you missed it , it all melted up now. Wen by it today, day warnt no ice leff.

Contrary to the views on this thread I enjoyed the Ice House. We stopped by on Saturday and lots of people were showing up and admiring it. People would drive by fast, slam on the brakes, reverse and check it out.

The neighborhood people walking around probably enjoy the attention. What a cool project for the 2 NY artists to do.

Check out my pictures if you want.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=22e400cea6

Went by yesterday [[530ish) and one side seemed to have melted somewhat. The ice had fallen off. There were two kids who felt compelled to try to beat some of the icicles off the house. I told them a couple times to stop, that they were destroying someone's "work" and they told me a couple times to %^$%$#%# off. Nice.