Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another foreign publication reports on Detroit: Le Monde

Le Monde, the Paris-based newspaper that is the New York Times of France, published a long article on the crisis of Detroit in the Janvier issue of its monthly magazine, Le Monde Diplomatique.
    Titled "Detroit, the shrinking African-American city," the article covers the mostly familiar ground of demographic change, job loss, foreclosed homes, fires, health problems, the history of the auto industry and "the relentless sound of chirping grasshoppers" in rural-like neighborhoods of the city.
    Unlike Time Magazine in September, Le Monde gets it right when it comes to the origins of Detroit's crisis, pegging that transformation to the post-war years, when the city's economy began to undergo trememendous change.
    One original thought: Le Monde asks why, in the face of such monumental problems, no one is protesting in the streets or going on strike in the factories.
    [[Le Monde has an English-language web site, but the article is available only to subscribers. I found a hard copy at Borders.)

Le Monde asks why, in the face of such monumental problems, no one is protesting in the streets or going on strike in the factories.
    Oui, we need to follow the French example of street protests in the estates, particularly on New Years Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Oui, we need to follow the French example of street protests in the estates, particularly on New Years Eve.

Maybe a repeat of 1967. That worked so well for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I found a hard copy at Borders.)
    Can you tell me which Borders you got the copy at? I went to the one in Birmingham, but all they had was the newspaper and not the magazine.

Default where you stand depends upon where you sit

I'm not sure it worked so badly for the rioters; they were badly off before the riots, and continued to be badly off afterward, but from what I've read the nature of policing in Detroit did change after '67. Detroit as a whole was certainly disadvantaged, but I doubt it is reasonable to expect rioters to worry about that.

The US population in general seems remarkably sanguine about the rather high levels of unemployment and poverty that exist. It is somewhat surprising there haven't been more substantial protests. As far as I can see most of the protests that are happening are unfocused objections to things in general by middle-class white folks.

That damn middle class is so unfocused.

The funny thing is that the U.S. doesn't really have a high unemployment rate. We talk about 15% unemployment being an economic crisis, yet there are European countries where 15% unemployment is the norm...

The people don't riot because the vast majority of people have a decent lifestyle.

I'm looking for your article. I have the impression I saw [[at least part of it) online a few days ago.

On the meantime I found another that talks about Detroit [[I'll ut it on a separate post...). Whenever we find articles from Le Monde, we have to hurry up to post them because after 2 weeks the articles are available only to suscribers. I'll take snapshoots of the present article...

For dtowncitylover: Got my Le Monde Diplomatique at the Borders in Dearborn. Sorry, it was the last copy.
    That other le Monde article on Detroit appears to be from the daily paper.

This may be the article you talk about?

translation:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...02&sl=fr&tl=en

Original:
    http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2010/01/POPELARD/18702

[[older articles about Detroit in Le Monde):
    http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/recherche?s=detroit

the one about the unions [["syndicats") may be interesting to read. The title is "To let Detroit die in order to punish the unions?"

That damn middle class is so unfocused.
    No, that middle class is so damn unfocused.

I've said that for years on this site. With all of the complaining from Detroit residents about crime or some horrendous murders I would have thought people would have demonstrated on either Woodward Ave, in Lansing or Washington DC! But I guess it is easier to bitch from the comforts of home.

We are our own worst enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I've said that for years on this site. With all of the complaining from Detroit residents about crime or some horrendous murders I would have thought people would have demonstrated on either Woodward Ave, in Lansing or Washington DC! But I guess it is easier to bitch from the comforts of home.

We are our own worst enemy.
    Goat. Your right. If nobody does anything nothing will change. Detroit has to start voting people in that care about the city. [[Dave Bing seems like he is going to be good just from the outside looking in). Hopefully he can make some changes for the good. If you do the same thing over and over you will get the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
    The funny thing is that the U.S. doesn't really have a high unemployment rate. We talk about 15% unemployment being an economic crisis, yet there are European countries where 15% unemployment is the norm...

The people don't riot because the vast majority of people have a decent lifestyle.
    The counting methods for unemployment under-represent the real rates. Also take into consideration that many people are not able to find full time jobs, yet they are not considered in the unemployment numbers. I believe things are worse than many people realize. As many have stated, the middle class is largely unfocused.

Part of the problem is the middle class doesn't really seem to question anything. They follow American Idol closer than they do economics or politics. When you try to explain anything to them, they largely don't seem too interested. By the time Americans become discontent, it's far to late to implement any changes. It seems Americans have had it very good for so long that they automatically think things will always remain good... After all, the 90's were absolutely beautiful from an economic standpoint. No one considers the possibility that unless changes are made now, things could stay this way for a long time. It's like the working class is stuck in autopilot mode. Whatever happens, happens, and that is just fine. After all, we have had a very stable economy for over 70 years, and we always snap out of economic hiccups.

Aside from this, people may bitch, but that's about it. Once they vent a little, the issue seems to be off their chest. Then CNN reports a story about some problem, and the process repeats. Bitching does not solve problems! We have problems facing this country which cannot be ignored, but until concern reaches a boiling point, people are largely content. It seems there are more demonstrations regarding abortion, gay rights, and so forth, yet are these the pressing issues that are really threatening the country at the moment? I'm not saying people shouldn't have certain rights, but wake up, our country is being assaulted on many fronts by a wide array of problems.

If people really are stuck in the mindset that we will just snap out of the problems we are facing, consider this... The 20's were absolutely booming. The 30's... Not so much. When the economy has a major boom, it is often followed by a significant slow-down. The great depression lasted for nearly 10 years, and it took a world war to finally snap us out of it. I hope this recession will not be known by future generations as the great recession 2, or any other variant.

Default translated copy of Le Monde Detroit article

We are not going to change a single thing in the voting booth. Haven't you learned that yet? Not a single thing. Get off your chairs, kill your televisions and change things. It's the only thing that has ever worked.

There is a documentary being shown in England as I type this, directed by Julian Temple, about Detroit. According to my friend, it's beautifully shot and lovingly told. But they ask the same question - why don't we fight back? It's called Detroit the Last Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The entire country is destined to have its own 1967. Just wait until this house of cards falls. Then it will get very interesting... very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    One original thought: Le Monde asks why, in the face of such monumental problems, no one is protesting in the streets or going on strike in the factories.)
    Maybe because Detroit's been there, done that, and that was how the current problem all started?!

Well in France, they go down in the streets for a lot of things, there is a sense that if a coalition gets together on an important issue, political leaders will listen. Paris is the exclusive domain of the wealthy, the suburbs are where the underprivileged live. The masses of immigrants from north and west african ex-colonies need a lot more respect than they are getting. France cant teach the USA much in terms of Fraternité, Liberté, Égalité. One of the reasons Haiti is in such dire straits is the colonial debt that it had to pay the last king of France for being independant. It amounted to 20 some billion euros in today's money. Haiti paid it cent for cent until the 1940's.
    They managed to squish the energy of a young republic that might have had a chance to show it could succeed.

You cant equate rioting with demonstrating. Maybe Detroiters are afraid of the consequences of
    large scale demos. If a cultural event such as the Detroit Jazz festival served as a rallying point for this purpose attracting celebrities etc... for a 3 or 4 day affair, that might help. I think that the feel good part of that kind of event is what the folks need. Once you feel the sheer size of a city's population get together, it is really energizing.

I think that the power of showing a strong physical presence in Detroit streets is the best way of getting the world's attention on the city's problems. There is a solution to Detroit's problem but it seems to me that it was either a shut up and quit or wait and see attitude that has stopped initiatives like large scale appeals. There is definitely a positive change in the city's new downsizing plan and the AIA's. It is as if all this drawn-out decay had left an unsatisfying canvas long set aside, upon which to reinvent. If the energy is well directed it can be a really attractive place to live and do business. Detroit is a city of doers, and her people need to get together, sign petitions for mass-transit [[TRU) and just generally believe that it can be done.

That's one of the point of the upcoming US Social Forum. Detroit was chosen for some of those reasons.

The above references to 1967 are misplaced. We're talking about protesting in the streets, not rioting in them.