Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 5 Bands That won't Be Nominated

Greetings--

Tonight is Grammy night. We all have favorite singer/songwriters and bands that will probably never be nominated.

So, with that said, what are your favorite top five that will probably never be honored in any category?

Here are mine:

- M. Ward
    - Devendra Banhart
    - Blue Rodeo
    - Robert Earl Keen
    - Silver Jews

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Greetings--

Tonight is Grammy night. We all have favorite singer/songwriters and bands that will probably never be nominated.

So, with that said, what are your favorite top five that will probably never be honored in any category?

Here are mine:

- M. Ward
    - Devendra Banhart
    - Blue Rodeo
    - Robert Earl Keen
    - Silver Jews
    Don't get your knickers in a twist about the Grammys. They are an industry creation formed to steer the public's interest towards "good music". Just keep supporting the artists you enjoy and go out to a club tonight to support your local musicians instead of wasting time watching that dreck. Same goes for the RnR Hall of Fame. Stepping off my soapbox now...

I hear that. I've not watched music award shows in years, they do not reflect my musical taste much any more...... local music is often better and with customize music sources like itunes etc. you can bypass all the "award" winning music your suppose to like......
    Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Don't get your knickers in a twist about the Grammys. They are an industry creation formed to steer the public's interest towards "good music". Just keep supporting the artists you enjoy and go out to a club tonight to support your local musicians instead of wasting time watching that dreck. Same goes for the RnR Hall of Fame. Stepping off my soapbox now...

Why did Beyonce win more Grammys than Gorevette?

Who is Beyonce?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Who is Beyonce?
    the Next Big Thing

I'll take Gorevette over Beyonce and Ladyboy Gaga anyday.

Beatles, Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, CCR and Train...sorry had to slip that in there...way to many to list.

something isnt quite right about lady gaga

They are an industry creation formed to steer the public's interest towards "good music".

They are an industry creation formed to steer the public's interest towards music they want to sell, 'good' or not.

I avoid commercial shock and angst singers like Gaga who are "thrown" up the pop chart for public consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    something isnt quite right about lady gaga

The Grammys have sucked as long as I can remember. It's a tradition.

I think the last time I watched was the year Bette Midler showed up wearing a record for a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ohdgnvK3bM

It was funny in a horrifying way. I liked Lionel Ritchie, sweating like a pig, talking about Michael Jackson, then introducing that dreadful tribute song. 2nd strangest was Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks. eeeeeeeee.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The Grammys have sucked as long as I can remember. It's a tradition.

I think the last time I watched was the year Bette Midler showed up wearing a record for a hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    It was funny in a horrifying way. I liked Lionel Ritchie, sweating like a pig, talking about Michael Jackson, then introducing that dreadful tribute song
    Too funny.

I don't really ever watch these award shows. It seems like the "stars" just get together, pat each other on the back while saying how great and important for humanity they all think they are. I turned the TV on last night around 11:30 and it was the first time ever that I've actually seen the ending of the Grammies, or any award show for that matter. I saw Taylor Swift get her award and then it was over. It was painless.

It seems like the "stars" just get together, pat each other on the back while saying how great and important for humanity they all think they are.
    That's about it. They're all the same, Grammys, Emmys, Oscars, Tonys, Globes, SAGs. Just trying to sell themselves and their project.

Since I usually ignore all things Scammy award related, I didn't know one of my faves actually was nominated this year.

http://www.nekocase.com/news/

She didn't win though. Too bad. She sings better than that Taylor Swift person.

Blue Rodeo
    They have won awards in Canada:

They have won many Canadian music awards, including seven Juno Awards and seven SOCAN awards.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Rodeo

Ravine Guest

Yeah, I'm with the group, on this one. The Grammys suck, most award shows-- and the awarding processes themselves-- suck. The Pomp & Circumstance of the Oscars, well, that's kinda fun, though. Most of us like movies, and it's fun to "root."

Favorite award show performance:
    Quite a long time ago. Fairly early in the history of the American Music Awards. Sheila E performed her Big Smash Hit, "The Glamorous Life." Absolutely terrific. Her mid-song romp of a solo on various percussion pieces was stunning.
    Anybody else remember that particular performance?

I'm not ignoring the Michael Jackson moonwalk-introducing performance of "Billie Jean," which was even more impressive; that, of course, was not on an "awards show."

See, Pam? I'm not really a Jazz Snob.

I'm not one for pop music generally, but I will offer my two cents.

• Mary J. Blige can hold her own against Bocelli.
    • I would rather listen to a 24 hour marathon of Crazy Gaga than hear that Beyonce "put a ring on it" pile of shit one more time.
    • Taylor Swift singing live was an embarrassment. Somebody hook her up with one of those "autotuner" things all the ~~~~~~~~~ R&B guys who can't hit a note to save their lives use for all their songs.

See, Pam? I'm not really a Jazz Snob.
    I know, you also like prog rock.

Did you ever give Neko a listen, by the way?

I couldn't find your Sheila E. clip, but maybe you will like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQmNX5ETILE

Much of the so-called music today is mass marketed and the masses soak it up like a bunch of sheep.

Until I hear Dead Can Dance will preform at an awards show, I think I'll take a pass on watching.

JL, I have to agree with you on MJB, Beyonce and Swift.

I know it makes me sound old, but why does so much of what I hear flipping through the dial sound so damn sterile? is it those "autotuners" that sap all the life from the vocals, or the passionless computer-generated "music" tracks? and when, pray tell, did R&B lose its soul?

The funny thing is that I guarantee 100% in 10 years, people will hear that autotuned shit and cringe. Even people who right now think it's fine. It will have about the same staying power of the 80's synthed-up soundtrack from Scarface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgVRd...eature=related

Robert Earl Keen is the best! Love his music.

Quote Originally Posted by DW313512 View Post
    Robert Earl Keen is the best! Love his music.
    Yes indeed, he's a hell of a song writer! Joe Ely is right there as well. I especially like his "Love and Danger" album.

Any other Texas songwriters come to mind?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast