Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 23 rd street Studio

23rd and Michigan Ave. Dead end street. I was wondering if anyone knew what this collection of buildings was bult for originally?? I know that of late it was apaint coating company,doing e-coating. I am just curious as to what these buildings were for originally?? Looks pretty old.

Which buildings are you referring to? The large place at the end of the street which is now 23rd Street Studios, or the old Italianate commercial buildings at the corner of Michigan and 23rd out front? The Grosfield Building, on the southeast corner, had always been one of my favorites along the whole stretch of Michigan Avenue in the city. It has that beautiful rounded tower on the corner with an awesome witch's cap roof.

If you're talking about the actual buildings which are now part of 23rd Street Studios, they are the former Detroit Electro Coatings Inc.

Here is an article from Crain's Detroit from a few months back, detailing some of the notes about startup 23rd Street operation. Scroll toward to bottom to find it. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/902020339

This article might also be some help http://michiganfilmnews.blogspot.com...tives-can.html

Has anyone heard anything about how this project is coming along, or any of their plans for the commercial blocks along Michigan on either side of 23rd Street? I'd love to see some life breathed into that area and some great preservation and renovation of those buildings along Michigan.

Here's a photo I just resized of the Grosfield Building at the corner of Michigan and 23rd, the one I was writing about. I hope they can do something great with it. I took this shot just this past Saturday.
    Attachment 633
    Last edited by Lowell; April-16-09 at 08:02 PM.