Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Calling Qweek! Wolf Moon tonight!

The biggest full moon of 2010 will rise in the east tonight, and it'll appear with a bright sidekick: Mars will cozy up just to the left of the supersize moon.

The 2010 wolf moon will appear 30 percent brighter and 14 percent larger than any other full moon this year, because our cosmic neighbor will actually be closer to Earth than usual. ...

The moon will be at its closest perigee—the nearest it gets to our planet during its egg-shaped orbit—for 2010 at 4:04 a.m. ET Saturday, reaching a distance of 221,577 miles [[356,593 kilometers) from Earth.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...oon-2010-mars/

It was just beautiful last night for sure!

I did notice last night it was unusually bright and beautiful. Here's hoping for clear skies tonite.

Oh, definitely! The weather forecast says partly cloudy, so there is hope. I saw it this morning about 7:30 on it's way down and it was spectacular, surrounded in a cloud of mist and glowing like a magical crystal ball. I think it is also a Blue Moon, the second full moon this month. Double treat.

Very cool stuff, Gaz, thanks.

Did anyone notice the sunset last night? I 'm a bit of a sun-watcher, especially in the first and last hours of the day when it is safe to look directly at it...and last night it was as painful as the noonday sun.

It looked as if it were going supernova...odd corona around a white-hot center instead of the usual soft orange.

Cheers

Ravine Guest

Biggest moon I have ever seen, this morning at about 7:30. Not exaggerating. I had to take a second, harder look, just because I couldn't believe that it was the moon.
    Which, of course, begs the question, What the hell did I think it was?... I know, I know.

A few minutes ago I watched a moonlit contrail drift over the full moon. As it passed the center it looked like a closeup view of Saturn, edge-on to the rings. Bizarre.

I was just out with my dog, howling at the moon, lots of fun. I hope we didn't scare the neighbors. Is it ever bright! Mars is up there, but it isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be.

A few hours ago I took a ride down Lakeshore. I parked at the G.P.Academy and walked down to the water. The moon, ice and clear sky...looking out over the lake, just beautiful tonite.

Thanks for thinking of me Gazhekwe, stunning sight it has been! Last night I was forced to stop and stare in the frigid air, you have me pegged.

A sexy song for a moonlite night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3P_L...ayer_embedded#

Most of us on here come from the WWII era. Parents at least. Thanks for the the Iggy Pop Link. Sounds great.

Nights like these make me say stuff like, "I love you guys!". A hug from me to you.

The moon view was lovely.