Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Local Live Music

Just thought some would be interested in posting their favorite local performers....past and present.

Present...Dirtbombs, Ourageous Cherry, SSM, Muldoons, Go, Hentchmen. Recent past...Come Ons, Avatars, Sirens, Cyril Lords, THTX. Way Past...the 5, Stooges, SRC, Frijid Pink, Savage Grace

From the past, I used to like the Orange Roughies and the Junk Monkeys.

Thornetta Davis [[wear your black draw'rs, honey)

Audra Kubat

The Rouge Satellites [[or Apt4)

Anything that RJ does in any incarnation, form, or fashion

Lucas Sisters [[or is it the Sisters Lucas, I always get it wrong)

Tone and Niche

Jeff Jablonski [[often at Trixie's Coffeeshop out on Gratiot)

Anything Marcus Belgrave puts his attention towards...

...don't know where to end...more folks keep popping into mind.

Alexander Zonjic

Old-time Orange Lake Drive recordings

Blackman and Arnold...anything that Sean does, actually. That dude is uber-resonant with every exhale.

Oh yeah, and EVERY time Eddie from the Sights picks up an axe...

...gotta keep a fire extinguisher handy.

That reminds me...Duffy King from the Bugs Beddow Band.

Wouldn't mind seeing him and Eddie play off each other...smokin' hot, the both of them.

How about some Detroit Cobras? Kenny Tudrick does a great job in any band he's in...Bulldog, The Octopus, Sweet Bird. Oh yeah, Magic Shop and The Readies and The Sugar Coats.....I could go on and on. The Muggs.....

Stromberg2

Gannon picked some good ones.
    I, too, love to hear Thornetta Davis sing. My favorites seem to change by the day or mood, so it is difficult to pick from them. Right now, I would like to be sitting with a Molson's [[and rainbow BetterMade chips) at a bar watching Brothers Groove. Skeeto is right: The groove is almighty!

If the wayback machine was working, would like to be sitting at Cobb's Corner, watching Lyman Woodard, Marcus Belgrave and friends back in the golden days of the 1970s Cass Corridor.

In my acid flashbacks, the Jagged Edge, Stooges, and MC5 show up [[preferably not on one of the "train wreck" MC5 gigs).
    Last edited by Bobl; April-16-09 at 02:13 PM. Reason: puntuation

I'm a fan of the Killer Flamingos. Great cover band and have some good tunes of their own. Can't remember the name of the band at Nancy Whiskey's often...love the tunes there...good vibe.

Child Bite and Los Minstrels Del Diablo.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thornetta Davis

I always enjoyed seeing Roy Brooks. Very tragic what happened to him in the end. RIP Roy.

Don't forget Brothers Groove

Jim McCarty and Mystery Train. Blues music for your pleasure.

Jack Kevorkians Suicide Machines, Stooges, Cobras, Paraleil, Mustard Plug [[though not really Detroit, but neither were the Stooges), Lager Lads [[weren't they from Detroit or the region?)...to name but a few.

To name a few...

Rock/Pop: The Paybacks, Detroit Cobras, Ghost City, Electric Six, the Muggs, Hotness, Serenity Court, Troy Gregory, Hard Lessons, Grande Nationals.

Metal/heavy: Chapstik, Wolfbait, 500 Ft. of Pipe, Aquarius Void, Novadriver, Year of the Pig, Warhorses, Bluesong and Octopus.

Folk-ish: Tone & Niche, Jarrod Champion, Emily Rose.

Country: Bill Parker & His Motherscratchers, anything Tim Pak does...

I could go on and on, really...

Big Dog:
    Are your initials P. F.?

Pretty much what Island, Stromberg and Melody said. See you at the Gories show in June!

Steven and the Reelers. They played a great show at the Lager House last night.

Brothers Groove and Great Lakes Myth Society.

Default Some more local favs - mostly acoustic stuff

Steppin' in it
    Kitty Donohoe
    Annie and Rod Capps
    Jim Bizer

Venues - Trinity House Theater in Livonia is a favorite
    Looking for more acoustic music venues in Detroit

keith - have you been to mama's coffee house in birmingham? michigan acoustic musicians alliance http://www.mamascoffeehouse.org/ and or michigan fingerstyle guitar in ferndale http://spaces.fingerstyle.org/index2.asp?category={5AEF5ABF-A0D8-455E-A94C-1B9DB8007C53} recommend both.
    also years ago lthe Buzztones were a good band

Emily Rose dropped into Audra's old Open Mic at the 1923 Coffeehouse in Hamtramck one night...what a treat she gave us that time. I have a few of her hand-drawn & labeled CDs, Late Bloomer indeed! Thanks for the reminder Melody.

One of the finest acoustic venues in town is awakening, after its winter slumber, keep your eyes peeled for any concert notices from the Bohemian National Home. Big party on May 1st.

Rogue Satellites...not rouge...I'm going to hear about that one. Heh, SORRY guys!

We go to Callahan's in Auburn Hills to see Blues and Americana acts - the very very best sound system in the area.

Trinity House is great, there's a new [[to us) venue called the Comfy Couch Concerts in Wixom. Chris Buhalis is playing tonight, he's very good. http://www.comfycouchconcerts.com/

Even Exchange at Club Barts in Ferndale is a reliably good time.

One of the best parts of the City Fest concerts is the Garden Stage, they showcase great new bands.

I love the Orbitsuns, Great Lakes Myth Society.

Nathaniel Mayer, the Gories, the Fondas, the Meltdowns, the Wrong Numbers, the Space Heaters, and of course the Party Stompers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast