Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Transformers 3 in Michigan? Packard News?

I'm not sure about this article, if any of it's true of pans out....dang =)

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ned_packa.html

Wax said he expects to meet toward the end of the month with someone with a longer term interest and who, ironically, could push the century-old factory into the forefront of the automotive industry's drive for energy efficient vehicles. ''I have a party from out of town who wants to bring a 'green' car company to Detroit and feels he can rehab the plant,'' Wax said. ''It'd be a major project to put Humpty-Dumpty back together, but the feeling is the bones are still good. It's probably 10 times today's standards for strength.''
    I wouldn't put my money on it, but if this could happen... my mouth will stand agape in awe!

I believe that there is interest in shooting a film there. This does not mean it will happen. If it does, the movie will blow it up and contribute to its decay or demolition. They'll leave and the Packard will sit once again, empty and battered.

A green car company coming in and restoring the Packard Plant?? Yeah, right, when hell freezes over...

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I believe that there is interest in shooting a film there. This does not mean it will happen. If it does, the movie will blow it up and contribute to its decay or demolition. They'll leave and the Packard will sit once again, empty and battered.

A green car company coming in and restoring the Packard Plant?? Yeah, right, when hell freezes over...
    Well that's what Michael Bay does best isn't it! although the angels he put on MCS digital were kind of cool. I'd love to see him use his digital effects for a real advertisement showing a makeover of detroit!

I think this paragraph contains some dubious information:

The former auto factory behemoth is being eyed by Hollywood executives, according to Burger Easton and Co. broker David Wax. Wax is selling the property for Delphi Packard, which vacated Detroit fully in 2005.
    I say that because Delphi Packard has no successor relationship to the corporation that originally built the Packard plant.

According to this General Motors source, the Packard Electric Company was formed in Warren, Ohio, in 1890 and initially produced incandescent light bulbs but in 1899 it built the first Packard motor car. The Packard Motor Car Company was split off from Packard Electric in 1902. The Packard Electric Company then focused its business on automotive components and it became part of General Motors in 1932. In 1995, it was included when GM spun off its component operations into what became known as Delphi Automotive Systems. Today it is known as Delphi Packard Electric Systems.

I always thought the Packard was owned by Romel Casab.

February 02. 2007

Detroit

City loses site fight
    State court denies Detroit's Packard title bid
    Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The city has lost a 10-year battle over ownership of the historic Packard Motor Car Co. plant to an old nemesis -- land speculator Romel Casab.

In a blow to the city's efforts to clear the 35-acre site and sell it to developers, the Michigan Supreme Court this week denied Detroit's appeal of a lower court's decision that put the property back in the hands of private owners including Casab.

He's the Commerce Township man fighting the city in court over ownership of the Millennium parking garage near Cobo Center, and with Wayne County over land vital to a $14 million project to build a railroad bridge in Plymouth. Casab bought both parcels at foreclosure sales.

"Being a Rust Belt city, with a lot of facilities like this, some that go back 100 years, what do you do?" asked Matt Allen, spokesman for Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

"Some should be demolished, some can be reused. Somehow, we need to get titles and environmental issues cleared. But, at this point, this one is not a P&D [[planning and development) issue so much as it is a legal issue."

The 100-year-old plant is rich in history, built by architect Albert Kahn and producing more than 1.5 million luxury vehicles until 1956. Its recent history has been colored by lawsuits and accusations Detroit used strong-armed tactics to gain possession of the 3.5-million-square-foot complex.

Now riddled with graffiti and broken windows, the plant at East Grand and Mount Elliott has been sought by the city since 1997, when Mayor Dennis Archer tried to foreclose because of more than $1 million in back taxes.

A year later, 89 tenants in the complex claimed Detroit tried to force them out by erecting a 12-foot fence, beginning demolition and posting a 24-hour police guard, according to court papers.

The city had secured $3.8 million in state funds to tear it down and hoped to lure developers by placing it in an Empowerment Zone that qualifies for tax breaks.

The Supreme Court upheld a lower court's ruling that the city couldn't foreclose because $700,000 paid in taxes was enough to retain control.

The future of the once-grand plant is unclear. Allen said he's unsure whether the city will appeal. Casab's attorney, Barry Steinway couldn't detail plans for the facility.

Proposals to build a museum on the site and resume production of the Packard car appeared to dim in November when Dominic Cristini, who also had a financial interest in the plant and pushed the plans, was sentenced to five years in prison for conspiracy to distribute the drug Ecstasy.

I think there's quite a bit better chance of them choosing the site, like he said, because they can blow part of it up and nobody will care. If they do shoot the movie there, I'd say 95% chance they do what they need to do for the movie and do nothing with the site after it's done, 5% chance it becomes a "green" car factory.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it's just my honest opinion. Then again, there are literally no details on the building's condition or who this "party" is that wants to build the cars, so I guess all you can do now is just have hope in his words.

Green Car factory, New Packards rolling off the line there,.Bout as much of a chance as the Hudsons Building being rebuild.

I've never had too much hope for the Packard, I would love to see something done with it but it just doesn't seem likely.

''They fell in love with it because they can blow up parts in the movie and it won't matter,'' he said.

This is what they did in "Dark Knight." The hospital that they imploded was a win-win for everybody involved: City gets a free demo job; filmmakers get a jaw-dropping, real explosion. If the can finally rid itself of the Packard in this way - or a least a part of it - I say this is huge news.

I hear through word of mouth that they are preping MCS to start filming the new Transformers and then at Packard. Can anyone varify this?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    I hear through word of mouth that they are preping MCS to start filming the new Transformers and then at Packard. Can anyone varify this?
    OMG...I hope so. I love Optimus Prime and crew..yes, I'm a geek

I know they had a few articles that he was here scouting.
    http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...m_in_detr.html

It's as good a place to dangle your robotic testes as any.

Day in, day out, it is jaw-dropping and mind-numbing to read what goes on here. The courts blocked foreclosure on the grounds that the guy didn't pay his property tax of $700k or more? A part owner went to jail for dealing in e? The present owner may demand too high a price for development to make sense when he's letting the place lie fallow [[per the first article linked to)? Whoever the present owner may be?

Jumpin' jehoshaphat, that's dysfunctional. Why anybody still pays property tax at all is beyond me, since there are no repercussions.

MCS and Detroit are supposed to be shot sometime late july to august, I've been keeping my eye on this website [[http://www.onlocationvacations.com/) they seem to have all the latest hollywood news in terms of where and when. If anyone can take photos that would be awesome =)

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Well that's what Michael Bay does best isn't it! although the angels he put on MCS digital were kind of cool. I'd love to see him use his digital effects for a real advertisement showing a makeover of detroit!
    Check out The Island if you want to see his digital makeover of Detroit.