Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fire -- 96 and Schaeffer?

Flames sighted. What's going on?

According to Fox2, A junkyard caught on fire.

More tires to burn for two years. Yeah!

Save me 4 14 inch tires that can hold enuff air to get my car to the junkyard.

So, who's was bigger, Detroit's or Atlanta's?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22378221/detail.html

Waiting for the Building of Detroit on scene fire photos !

Brings back memories of one of Detroit's most stubborn fires, about 45 years ago. There was an old warehouse on W. Fort street, east of 12th [[or whatever they call that street today), right where the railroad tracks for the US/Canada tunnel go under W. Fort. The building was five or six stories high, and was filled wit old tires. Vagrants started the place on fire, and it turned into the most spectacular inferno I ever saw. I think the fire laddies were working on it for over a week after the structure collapsed. No one got hurt, unless some vagrants vaporized themselves.

Memories.

Ravine Guest

Good ol' DetroitYES!... The Old Girl is still useful.
    Now I know the reason-- coupled with my unfortunately late departure from home-- for my failure to arrive, at work, on time.

It delayed one of the more trying shifts I have worked in a very long time. Probably should have taken it to be an omen, turned right back around, and drove back home.

I feel really sorry for the owners and workers at the auto parts warehouse in Schaefer HWYnear Plymouth Rd. I'm not sure what the safety procedures are, but the owner may have to report this incident to his insurance companies and its investors right away. It's time to start all over.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

You can replace technology, but you can't replace life.

Neda Soltani will be remembered.

Ravine Guest

"...Neda Soltani will be remembered...."

Dang. First that awful incident, and now she winds up the victim of a Detroit junkyard fire.
    Terrible, just terrible.

I remember going to Chrysler Jeep/Truck Engineering across the street on Plymouth Rd. for meetings. About five years ago, this same junk yard caught on fire. We all ran to the windows on the Plymouth Rd side of the building to watch the fire. It' a very active junk yard. Cars stacked all over.

So that's what I saw after work.
    I could see it from 9 mile and mound rd.

I'm curious to drive by and see what it looks like. On a side note I saw my first fire in person today, a building in Ypsilanti was completely destroyed.

DZ - where/what building was burned in Ypsi ?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    So that's what I saw after work.
    I could see it from 9 mile and mound rd.
    Hilarious!!

Everybody thinks you're serious, you know.

No reason to doubt you could see it from there. Tire smoke is very dense and could rise to 20,000' or more which could be seen from many miles away.

Depends on the time of day though.
    Last edited by Meddle; January-31-10 at 11:57 PM.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ause_unde.html

somehow related?

FLINT, Michigan — The cause of Saturday's chemical fire is still unknown at this time, but Flint arson investigators are looking into it, said Flint Fire Battalion Chief John Babb.

"God only knows what happened there," Babb said.

Crews arrived at 4:30 p.m. Saturday, shortly after the fire started at Inter-City Auto Parts, 2308 Toronto St., Babb said. The fire caused some propane and oxygen tanks at the business to explode, Babb said.

Flying debris from one of the explosions smashed the window of a fire truck at the scene, but no one was injured, Babb said.

"By the time fire crews arrived the building was two-thirds involved," Babb said.
    "They put water on it and contained it as best as they could. It was a fast moving fire, and the explosions didn't help."

The fire was contained around 7 p.m and put out around 8 p.m., Babb said.

The Inter-City fire was one of two large fires at a Michigan auto part retailers this weekend. The first was a three alarm fire in Detroit Friday.

btw, I was walking to the market on Saturday at around 5 PM and smelled it. I just kept thinking whatever that smell is, it can't be good. I thought it was likely coming from the Southwest Side. Could this be the same fire? I remember seeing two separate areas of smoke in a clear sky. I think one was a factory, but one definatly looked like burning. It smelled of chemicals. Something toxic, beyond just the usual smells of cars and buses. I don't think it was the incinerator because I was at least a mile southwest of it, the wrong direction of the wind. The smoke looked a few miles away, so it could have very likely been 96/Schaefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Hilarious!!

Everybody thinks you're serious, you know.
    I'm not joking,
    Unless it was another fire on the same day.
    Looking down mound road from work, I can clearly see the RecCen, and the smoke partly blocked my view of it.

Friday around 17: 00 Chene and Canfield working fire in the vacant Jim's
    Market. Could be what you saw. The Extra was later in the evening.

Chuck_MI Guest

Photos of the fire now on this site:
    http://www.eastwoodphotography.net/