Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default paging compurter nerds

My laptop occasionaly goes into a three stage check disc. File system NTFS. There are recovered and orphaned files? Volume Label OS? Whats all that about?

I don't think the volume label is relevant.

You might want to try the following:
    - Click Start -> Run -> type:
    cmd
    - Click OK
    - This will launch your Command Prompt
    - At the flashing cursor, type:
    chkdsk c: /f /r
    - Press Enter
    - You will then need to press Y and Enter then reboot

I need to do this myself. Good luck to both of us.

I'm now doing another "chkdsk c:" without the /f /r arguments to see if there are any residual problems.

There are:
    CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors [[stage 3 of 3)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table [[MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows found problems with the file system.
    Run CHKDSK with the /F [[fix) option to correct these.
    I guess I'll run it again.

These are great tips. I wish I could get to my Dad's computer to run this. He can't hear on the phone and kind of shuts down when I try to talk about computer lingo. I asked what error message he was getting and all he could say was he didn't understand and couldn't remember any of it. Sigh.

Maybe I will send this to my brother and he will have time to run over there.

Hey people,

My Windows was upgraded to IE9, with multiple Microsoft patches and a new service pack. That somehow screwed up my Adobe flash player, which asked me to upgrade to V10. That will not download now from their site and leaves me with no flash player !
    I've been all over google, and a lot of people have the same problem, and are getting hundreds of tips on how fix it. From super advanced code writing to stupid advice.
    I'm on FF now and am wondering if you have had this problem, and how can I do a simple fix ?

What operating system are you using ? IE9 is compatible with Vista or Window's 7 I believe , anything less than that is dicey . I'd be tempted to suggest that if you have XP or less to uninstall IE9 and it should roll back to the previous IE , but I won't suggest that . I will suggest you go to a pc help group [[formerly MSN Groups help desk) and ask over there . I've been a member over there for 10 years and they should be able to help . Tell them MaDDoG sent you and state your operating system , service packs etc .
    http://www.community-feedback.com/

Thanks Wing, I should have stated that I'm running Win 7 home premium 32 bit. All these upgrades were just a few days ago. This laptop is only a year and a half old, and windows has installed well over 10,000 updates in that time. WTF ? Many of those updates have caused problems.

Would anybody recommend a system recovery, and wait for them to them to fix this mess ? Otherwise I'll just stay on Firefox.

Also Adobe 9 reader works on the Firefox browser, but not on IE.

You should check out the Adobe forum or even join it and they should be able to help .

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/853591?tstart=0

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Hey people,

My Windows was upgraded to IE9, with multiple Microsoft patches and a new service pack. That somehow screwed up my Adobe flash player, which asked me to upgrade to V10. That will not download now from their site and leaves me with no flash player !
    See if an older version of flash will install:
    http://www.oldapps.com/flash_player.php

Thanks -

I have several options saved on my desktop.But they wildly differ. The two top software programmers really fucked up this time
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-02-11 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks -

I have several options saved on my desktop.But they wildly differ. The two top software programmers really fucked up this time
    Adobe software is complete and utter shit and I completely understand Jobs not having anything to do with it.
    But, since a good portion of the web is flash, you are almost forced to deal with it.

I have noticed too, when flash updates, it seems to take browsers a few days to catch up. Give it a few days and see if the situation improves before doing anything drastic.

I'm on FF now, just a new learning curve thats all.

Or don't use IE; Chrome is a faster, better browser, with Firefox close behind

Isn;t crome just another IE 9 beta?

Isn;t crome just another IE 9 beta?
    No. Chrome is nice, it's my default browser but you have to tweak settings [[esp. with https: pages) and be aware not all the functionality of IE is there [[setting images as backgrounds, etc...) I believe it is still the fastest browser around [[you can also download the Canary version - beta)

Firefox is good though if you notice lag, check it's memory usage. It has been notorious as a memory hog and I haven't' heard of 5.0 addressing that issue.

I actually have all three [[plus flock & opera) downloaded and use each for different things; might want to use one over the other for specific applications.
    Last edited by Roq; July-02-11 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add more info

Chrome is Google's horse in the browser race. Very fast, very stable, and it's not a hand holder.
    http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...tml?brand=CHKZ

jeez- I thought IE9 was the front runner. I'll give it a few days to finish the race. Adobe can't apogiize enough.

I'm still trying to figure out what a compurter is.