Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit street name question

I'm trying to decipher a Detroit street name in the 1920 census.
    I'm researching the Lincoln Park life of automotive pioneer Preston Tucker.
    1920 census looks like it says 130 Doula Avenue but I'm not certain if its Docela Avenue. Its hard to tell. Other than that it is Ward #8 with US census enumeration district with boundaries of Kirby Avenue, Trumball Avenue, Merrick Avenue and Wabash Avenue.

That's only a few blocks of territory, not in Lincoln Park, though.

The streets enclosed by Wabash, Kirby, Trumbull and Merrick are Commonwealth, Avery, Hecla, 12th, Vermont and Mark.

PS, your scan is too tiny, I can't make out any of the fields.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; January-29-10 at 08:06 PM.

lilpup Guest

looks like Hecla to me

Hecla, from 1800 Merrick north to Ferry Park.

130 Hecla was between Kirby and Hudson.

Thanks. Yes, I know it isn't in Lincoln Park.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    That's only a few blocks of territory, not in Lincoln Park, though.

The streets enclosed by Wabash, Kirby, Trumbull and Merrick are Commonwealth, Avery, Hecla, 12th, Vermont and Mark.

PS, your scan is too tiny, I can't make out any of the fields.
    Sorry that it is too small. I saved it from the Ancestry.com site.

It looks like other people could read it. My eyes must not be as good. I think if it ends in A, Hecla is a good bet though.

Thanks for everyone's assistance! I've been stumped for some time on this street name!
    I have put together a timeline for Preston Tucker including the Detroit information because it helps me in figuring out when/where he lived in Lincoln Park if I can determine when he lived elsewhere.
    Don't know if that makes any sense but he jumped around quite a bit, living in 2 - 4 houses in Lincoln Park, and then also lived in Buffalo, NY and Memphis, TN briefly.

Yesterday, I scanned a bunch of documents that I borrowed from a Tucker family member. I read through sympathy cards, letters his mother had received from friends when he passed away in 1956.

I'm an Ancestry.com subscriber and if I'm unable to decipher a handwritten street name on a Census sheet, I will examine the sheets immediately before and after to determine the other streets the census taker was working on that day [[usually I can find at least one or two legible street names that way). I then consult a map to see if there is a nearby street that matches the one in question.

In this case, some of the streets in that area were obliterated by the expressway, so I then consult an older map, such as this 1930s Detroit street map that forum member Hornwrecker has scanned and uploaded in multiple segments to an album in his Picasa account.

The area in question happens to be spread across two separate map images, which makes it hard to view. Using an image editor I stitched the adjacent areas into this single image:
    Attachment 5071

From the Gilmore Car Museum in Kalamazoo:

oooh. where was hudson st.?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    oooh. where was hudson st.?
    Hudson is a block north of the Ford. The east end of it runs right into the Gilbert bus garage.

That really looks like it says "Kirby" to me.

Looks like Hecla to me. I remember the street from my DPD days at old #2, and there were all old victorian residences on that street. Still some houses there, but remember the numbering system was changed about 1923.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.