Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tourists: You must visit Detroit

I want to share with you a page I found about the way foreigners see Detroit [[and are interested in visiting the city). There are so many unique things at Detroit that some locals may have grown used to seeing and don't worth them anymore. Detroit has a lot to offer, even "as it is". It just needs a little bit more publicity.....

The original page is in French:
    http://www.lexpress.to/archives/4628/
    You can read an automatic translation here:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=fr&tl=en

The translation is not that great [[I wish I had time to translate the entire page). I hope that some of you understand French, so you can read the original page. For those of you who don't, I'll just translate what you read under the pic in dark:

DETROIT [[Michigan) – In spite of all its scars and pains, for the voyager that looks more than the common places, the Motor City is still
    one of the most intoxicating [[overwhelming) urban spaces in the world. Detroit is maybe the most underestimated destination on the western world.

And the page goes on .... answering the question if Detroit is dangerous. The answer they give: we don't feel reassured at night but during the day it is not dangerous at all in downtown Detroit [[even if beggars may be a bit pushy).

Then it talks about all the historic buildings, etc etc....

Oh there is the part where he says:

A lot of buildings from the art deco time are abandoned at Detroit, yes, but they have not been demolished to make space to buidl new buildings as it is the case at Chicago!

And there are all the buildings that are still there and being used. The 2 hours I spent in the company of a passionate guide from Inside Detroit have impressed me more than any 2 hour section spent at New York. It was without a doubt, because everything was a surprise, on the contrary at New York we make the tour of a handfull of too well known "palmares".
    Last edited by Ezri; January-29-10 at 06:08 PM.

This is great! Thank you for sharing it. I especially loved this from the web page:

If you stay in Detroit long enough, say more than 24 hours, you begin to attach to this courageous and proud city, its friendly people, typical of the Midwest with their warmth and simplicity, and the incredibly rich history of this city...

Who wouldn't be impressed after a couple hours with Jeanette Pierce?

Depends where you go. I don't care who you are with, some parts of Detroit you just can't sugarcoat.

The same is true for "some parts" of any city.

Default Google Translate

Google Translate did this:

DETROIT [[Michigan) - Despite all his scars and his troubles, the Motor City remains one of the most urban of the intoxicating world for the traveler who sees farther than the end of his platitudes. Detroit is perhaps the most popular destination underestimated the Western world.

The most prestigious auto show in Detroit - the largest continent and most influential of the world - will take place from 16 to 24 January 2010. This is already an excellent reason to go in the city of Michigan, near Ontario, three hours from Toronto. However, visiting Detroit is a must at all times, here's why.

First, the question everyone asks: Detroit is dangerous? At night, yes, we do not feel safe at all, despite the reassuring messages of tourism authorities.

Premises know where to go or not, when taking taxis, who to trust, etc.. The casual visitor, it does not know and must always take taxis or travel together after nightfall.

But the day, downtown Detroit is not intimidating, though his tramps are particularly insistent. This article addresses only the city center. The suburbs of Detroit are very rich, even more than Toronto.

All the old money is the golden age of self is present in the villas of bosses in the bungalows and gleaming of workers affected and still affecting pay exorbitant.

The Detroit of the 1st half of the twentieth century

Once we have agreed not to be at Disneyland, you can appreciate the wonders of Detroit, a community like no other.

During the first half of the twentieth century, Detroit rivaled New York and Chicago in the top 3 U.S. cities.

Numerous tall buildings of the Art Deco heyday in Detroit are abandoned, yes, but not demolished to make way for the new as in Chicago!

And there are all the buildings remain and are still used. The two hours spent with a guide passionate Inside Detroit impressed me more than any installment of two hours spent in New York.

Without doubt, because everything was a surprise, while in New York we went around a chart-known.

For example, one is stunned to Detroit before the emergency staircase outside the longest and highest in the world. And we admire, neck broken, the upper floors of skyscrapers richly decorated, like the nineteenth century, because, while Detroit was producing Model T Ford cars [[from 1908) who did enter the world in the twentieth century, the architecture of the city of self hesitated to enter fully into the new century ...

The huge Fox Theater

The most incredible architectural masterpiece remains his Detroit Fox Theater [[1928, renovated in 1988), a movie palace with 5,000 seats - yes, 5000! - Built in 1920 by Mr. Fox of the 20th Century in person.

The Marquise exterior, lobby and the walls of the theater are perhaps the most sumptuous and impressive in the world. We absolutely must see a show or take a guided tour of the Fox Theater; films are presented on the occasion, reviving the golden age of cinema.

Office buildings unforgettable

And then there's the Penobscot Building [[1928), shrine of art deco 47-storey H-shaped giant. And its prestigious neighbor, the Guardian Building [[1929), nicknamed Cathedral of Finance, including the very large lobby remains a worldwide symbol of the Roaring Twenties with its marble mosaic tiles and glazed with vibrant colors whose effect is unforgettable.

Another masterpiece from the late 1920s, the Fisher Building [[1929), was considered at its opening as the office building the world's best designed. The green lung of the city, Belle Isle Park, was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, also creator of Parc du Mont-Royal in Montreal and Central Park in New York.

If you stay in Detroit long enough, say more than 24 hours, you begin to attach to this courageous and proud city, its friendly people, typical of the Midwest with their warmth and simplicity, and the incredibly rich history of this city, including a tough life in French, dating back to Cadillac [[the explorer, not the car).

Pilgrimage on Piquette Avenue

Once at home in the city, it is likely that you'll want to begin a pilgrimage of abandoned industrial buildings in Detroit that have marked the course of history, as the factory of the Piquette Avenue that produced the Model T and Plant prestigious Packard cars, as well as the huge railway station on the edge of downtown, which is apparently the largest abandoned building in the world, the building is, wisely, preserved for a future rebirth.

The city of Detroit has not attracted the usual array of chain stores and fast food.

The bars, shops and restaurants are more authentic than anywhere else in the USA. The owner of most of the shopping center is on site, like in the good old days, and restaurants are most often unavailable elsewhere homemade recipes.

It is fascinating to note that economic and social problems of the heart of Detroit have protected its authenticity ...

Detail

The Detroit Institute of Arts is a major American museums. It stands out for its exceptional collections in Europe and its famous murals of the Mexican Diego Rivera [[Detroit Industry, 1932-33).

The Motown Historical Museum is in the studio original Hitsville USA. It is an essential pilgrimage for any fan of music of the 20th century.

The Westin Book Cadillac [[1924), former grande dame of hotels in Detroit, has recently been renovated to modern [[up to 200 million dollars!) Maintaining a warm character.

The North American International Auto Show 2010, from 16 to 24 January 2010, will feature more than 700 vehicles including 30 world premieres. This prestigious auto show will be held at Cobo Center convention center of 750 000 square feet to the Detroit River, just off the Joe Louis Arena when the Red Wings move to the National Hockey League.

Air Canada provides links to new and absolutely fantastic, the Detroit airport. Note you can also go to Windsor, Ontario side, currently [[viarail.ca) and easy access to Detroit is only a few miles ...

To have a guide speaking in Detroit, which is valuable in that city's reputation intimidating, contact Ron Laplante, a friendly retiree who has spent his entire life in Windsor at 519 566-3511.

Information: visitdetroit.com & 313 202-1800.

COMMENTS
    How can we visited Detroit and forget to quote Mr. De Lamothe Cadillac founder of this city.
    There must be a monument to his memory!

And what about the past of this French town founded by the French.

to follow .......
    - Michel Lacaux - December 22, 2009 05:34
    Finally a book with a look a little different on that Detroit n'obcesse not to relinquish. Thank you!
    Romain

www.cantforgetthemotorcity.com
    - Roman - January 29, 2010 19:12

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Depends where you go. I don't care who you are with, some parts of Detroit you just can't sugarcoat.
    From what my brother told me me this is quite true! LoL

Hey, I resent being called simple.

Some little nice details are lost on the translation... but well, you get the overall idea

And I agree with the guy who wrote the article, lots of history, lots of stuff to see, nice people [[the best neighbors I ever had! ).
    And yeah... some parts fot he city are a bit scary [[as it's the case in ANY city in the world! ).
    Anyhow, I used to drive through Cass Av. a lot [[in the evenings), walked through Woodward/Brush Park at noons [[when weather allowed it). I NEVER had any incidents. I saw some strange people but I never had problems. Maybe because I just didn't allowed myself to be scared? I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Lnfant View Post
    The city of Detroit has not attracted the usual array of chain stores and fast food.

I think this says something about the economic health of the city.

Default Recent tourist

For a visitor, Detroit has to be among the most thought provoking cities on the planet. I came to Detroit for the first time during the car show, just a few weeks ago. To my surprise, visiting Detroit turned out to be one of the most fascinating vacations I've ever had. I left thinking that every American student needs to visit Detroit as a learning experience, with someone who can help them appreciate the history of the city and the ramifications of that history.

My partner and I spent about 6 hours total at the car show, and hours and hours just driving around inside Detroit and its suburbs. I've always lived in the Pacific Northwest, and had never really seen first hand a city that has suffered what Detroit has. But the amazing architecture and surprising gems among the rubble completely fascinated me. We would go back to the hotel at night and read the Wikipedia articles on the buildings and neighborhoods we visited that day or planned to visit the next day.

The interest this visit raised in me surprises me. We've been back for a week and a half and I'm still reading about Detroit, and even found my way to this forum. What an impact. Hang in there, Detroit!

Welcome to the forum and come on back to Detroit.

The article reminds me of a modern day de Toqueville.

"We arrived at Detroit at three o'clock. Detroit is a small town of two or three thousand souls, which was founded in the middle of the woods by the Jesuits in 1710, and which still contains a very great number of French families."

From this anecdote you will believe that Detroit is very civilized. It is, however, not very far from the wild forest and the latter's inhabitants. At half a league you see woods which begin and do not end. Besides, here is something that happened only last year and that proves more than all one could say. A bear, bayed by the hounds near the forest, came into the main street of Detroit and ran down its whole length, to the entertainment of the Americans, whose gravity probably did not betray them even on this occasion."

Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome to the forum and come on back to Detroit.

The article reminds me of a modern day de Toqueville.

"We arrived at Detroit at three o'clock. Detroit is a small town of two or three thousand souls, which was founded in the middle of the woods by the Jesuits in 1710, and which still contains a very great number of French families."

From this anecdote you will believe that Detroit is very civilized. It is, however, not very far from the wild forest and the latter's inhabitants. At half a league you see woods which begin and do not end. Besides, here is something that happened only last year and that proves more than all one could say. A bear, bayed by the hounds near the forest, came into the main street of Detroit and ran down its whole length, to the entertainment of the Americans, whose gravity probably did not betray them even on this occasion."

Alexis de Tocqueville
    Wow! thanks for the history! I had no idea it was the Jesuits...
    For the French part, you can feel it all over [[Belle Isle), names of streets and places... The name itself of the town is French... for "strait"

Well, I can't imagine a bear in Detroit but I was surprised a few decades ago by pheasants not too far from downtown!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    For a visitor, Detroit has to be among the most thought provoking cities on the planet. I came to Detroit for the first time during the car show, just a few weeks ago. To my surprise, visiting Detroit turned out to be one of the most fascinating vacations I've ever had. I left thinking that every American student needs to visit Detroit as a learning experience, with someone who can help them appreciate the history of the city and the ramifications of that history.

My partner and I spent about 6 hours total at the car show, and hours and hours just driving around inside Detroit and its suburbs. I've always lived in the Pacific Northwest, and had never really seen first hand a city that has suffered what Detroit has. But the amazing architecture and surprising gems among the rubble completely fascinated me. We would go back to the hotel at night and read the Wikipedia articles on the buildings and neighborhoods we visited that day or planned to visit the next day.

The interest this visit raised in me surprises me. We've been back for a week and a half and I'm still reading about Detroit, and even found my way to this forum. What an impact. Hang in there, Detroit!
    I know the feeling!

One of the things I loved the most about Detroit is getting into a place not specting anything unusual... and finding an amazing feeling of flying back in time! and I am not talking about the great buildings but just the small businessess....

I remember in particular a place in front of the Easter Market.... it was a Coney Island or small restaurant... Every time I went there for breakfast, I had the feeling I was flying back in time .. It just looked like the scenes on old black and white films but it was all so real [[in full color) ! All the wood decorations.. amazing!
    Locals may be used to that type of place and don't realize the amazing feeling someone who comes from abroad gets when visiting such places. It is wonderfull
    Detroit is like a huuuuuge museum!

Too bad they didn't include that you could go to Windsor or back ot Detroit via a $4.50 bus ride or $20 cab ride through the tunnel.

I resemble being called simple. But I have a big heart!
    Excellent article, and even better perspective. Thanks for sharing!