Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Jude Church Organ Restoration Concert

On Sunday January 31 at 4:00 pm, students and alumni from the University of Michigan Organ department will play a benefit recital at St. Jude Catholic Church, Detroit. The church houses a spectacular 3 manual 73 rank Pilzecker organ. The organ, when new, was one of the finest organs in the area. Unfortunately, it has fallen into disrepair over the years. The concert is free, however a free will offering will be taken with proceeds going to help cover the cost of repairs/restoration. A reception will be held after the concert. The church is located at 15889 East Seven Mile Road.

Left a note on the St. Jude Nostalgia thread of Detroit Yes. Will be an incredible event!

Hmmmn...this is interesting, as the namesake owner Pilzecker used that instrument as a demonstration instrument and sold other major organs, including the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Woodward and Hancock, Detroit. Did the church abandon the pipe organ in favor of 'praise/gospel'? Being, if I remember, a tracker instrument, it would seem surprising that significant deterioration has happened unless the instrument went unused for a lengthy period.

Detroitbob, here is a little more info from a person who is active at St. Jude:
    When they did the "renovation"[[to the interior of the church) - no care was given to the organ, so pipes were dented and paint, etc., dropped on an uncovered masterpiece. According to the original builder, who will hopefully be there on Sunday, if built today, the organ would cost over a million dollars. When it was built, it cost about $100,000. We're trying to restore it to it's original sound and condition. This concert has been advertised on various jazz and classical music stations in the area, so we're hoping for a good turn out. There will be an "afterglow" in the lower church with wine and hors'd'ourves [[sp)
    I'm hoping to be able to video the concert, and we are in the process of setting up a professional video/CD of the event. Since the organ is obviously behind the pews, we're setting up a screen in front of the altar to project the concert. This is a first attempt - of what will hopefully be concerts every couple of months.

I truly wish I could be there to hear the concert. Growing up in that parish in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, I have many memories of that church. It still ranks as one of the most beautiful churches I have been in. I will definitely have one of the CD's if they become available to share with my friends and neighbors in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I truly wish I could be there to hear the concert. Growing up in that parish in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, I have many memories of that church. It still ranks as one of the most beautiful churches I have been in. I will definitely have one of the CD's if they become available to share with my friends and neighbors in TN.
    I'll second that emotion Laing. If there are recordings now or in future recitals, there'll be many loyal customers I'm sure.

Is Dr.Kibbee playing? website link?

congrats to them. nice to see a parish in that area making upgrades, and even nicer to hear about the restoration of the proper instrument of the Church rather than a switchover to jazz masses.

56packman, this is the best I can give you:
    St. Jude Roman Catholic Parish Joe Balistreri, a recent UofM alumnus, is spearheading a compaign to restore the Nationally renowned St. Jude "1985 III/73 Pilzecker" organ to it's original glory. Joe and the studio of Dr. James Kibbie will present the Mendelssohn Bach recital [[including improvisations) on the instrument to raise much needed funds for restoration. the installation of the organ and dedication were acclaimed throughout the organ community not only in America, but in Europe as well. Several nationally-known organists played recitals on the instrument and three commerical CDs were recorded. The organ compliments the wonderful accoustical environment of the church, and makes a great addition to the liturgical celebrations here. Joe spoke with several parishioners, and the pastor, Fr. Liberty, and it became clear that there was a strong interest in bringing the organ back to its original glory. There will be no admission charge - however a Free will offering is suggested. After the concert, please plan to join us in the lower church hall for an Afterglow of wine and hor'd'ourves. The Event starts at 4:00pm on Sunday, January 31 at St. Jude Church. We look forward to seeing you there!

We are really looking forward to this concert and hearing this spectacular organ. Packman, if you are there, look me up. I will be wearing my leather bomber jacket [[ with patches). We can discuss the Punch and Judy organ.

The concert was an incredible success - over 125 in attendance with an awesome afterglow event in the lower parish hall. The organ sounded incredible, the musicians beyond description. 6 Organists from the Studio of Professor James Kibbie, The University of Michigan played a variety of selections with a finale of Impovisation by Joseph Balistreri. All who attended were impressed with both the Recital and St. Jude Church.

Rock, sorry I couldn't make it, I had family obligations. The Punch and Judy Wurlitzer is still available. PM me here or email me 56packman[[at)twmi[[dot)rr[[dot)com

For those unable to get to the church, there is a recording that includes some music played at St. Jude's. I recently received a copy, but haven't had a chance to give a listen yet. Here's a link:

http://www.priory.org.uk/cgi-bin/usa...oseph%20Jongen