Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default RJ Spangler CD Release Party-Cliff Bells 1/30/2010

Hey, music lovers, the Planet D Nonet will have a release of their latest disc of tunes this Saturday...tomorrow night...down at the fabulous Cliff Bells bar.

They will have the whole group, and many...if not all...of the performers on this disc, including Buddy Smith singing a new rendition of Country Girl.

He promises to tear it up, I've never seen him so excited about a performance...last night listening to Larry Smith and his trio play some amazing jazz down there he would light up whenever we talked about the upcoming show.

Larry Smith is legend, too...and his group really grabbed the audience's attention last night. I'm sure JimG can fill us in on the specifics of his group and background, but I knew I was in the presence of genius the whole night. What a treasure.

So, come on down to hear RJ and his band of merry maniacs...along with Buddy Smith and probably Alberta Adams as well. She's on the disc, and as far as I know is expected.

Cheers, see y'all down there.

btw, this recording was done in a newish facility out in Livonia...an old manufacturing plant with a HUGE space...just right for the proper capture of this group of nine larger-than-life men. It is a swinging performance, and the engineer really caught the essence of the live show. So, the recording itself has great value.

Cheers

Sounds like fun...maybe Ill pop inIm digging Jazz and local stuff nowadays...whats the cover? dress code etc....just checked out the calendar on the site $10 bucks isnt bad....food wasnt too pricey...
    Last edited by terryh; January-29-10 at 09:06 PM.

Terryh,

No dress code per se, but you can get as dressed up as you'd like and not stick out. I've seen it all at Cliff Bells, pretty much. Everyone is welcome, if they've got the cover charge!

Cheers