Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite Bars in Detroit City Proper

I'm sure this has been done before, but lets do this updated version again.

What are forumers favorite bars in the city on a weekend night [[Thurs-Sat)? I've got out of towners here. Looking to show them a good time. I've got my favorites, but I'd like to hear from others.

Include everything from hipster bars, dive bars, clubs, lounges and neighborhood bars, etc. Also include what nights you would suggest going.

Thanks all.

Route29 Guest

Now this is where I excel...

For out-of-towners or suburbanites, people who may typically have a negative, run-down image of Detroit, I like to take them to Park Bar or Woodbridge. Cliff Bell's is great as well for a one-of-a-kind experience, or Detroit Beer Co. or Motor City Brewery if they're the microbrew kind of folks. I like Park Bar on my own too what with giving City of Detroit residents $1 off every beer. It's a nice hangout for the locals.

I like dive bars myself. The Bronx is always a safe bet but gets incredibly smokey.

I live by Nancy Whiskey, my favorite bar of all time, but they're closed until early March or so due to an electrical fire. Sad, as the building is over 100 years old and I hope the bar and the ceilings and all historic details aren't damaged too badly. They had good live music but it would get kind of rowdy in there sometimes.

Jumbo's could be my second favorite bar. One of my friends bartends there and it's usually a good, fun vibe, all sorts of people in there.

Lager House is a nice hangout. PJ, the owner, is a nice person, cares about the neighborhood, and lives in Indian Village. Sometimes the music there is good, sometimes it isn't my style. I hear they have a really good menu now.

Old Miami in the summertime for their backyard.

Outside of greater downtown...Cadieux Cafe for featherbowling[[bet they've never seen that before), good beer, and an ok menu. Baker's Keyboard Lounge if they like jazz. Ye Olde Tap Room has the widest beer selection in the city that I know of.

Route29, you're my hero. I went to Nancy Whiskey the first time right when it opened and was a patron for many years there. I love that place also. It's good to hear it will re-open. That was a great place to hangout for garage bands in the 90's, Nancy's always attracted an entertaining crowd. I need to make a return trip there, it has been a few years.

Hey DetroitArmy, Jacoby's downtown is a great old bar with a super selection of beer and old-world charm. Also, Grand Trunk on Woodward would wow some out-of-towners with it's barrel-vaulted ceilings and also a good beer selection. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Route29, you're my hero. I went to Nancy Whiskey the first time right when it opened and was a patron for many years there. I love that place also. It's good to hear it will re-open. That was a great place to hangout for garage bands in the 90's, Nancy's always attracted an entertaining crowd. I need to make a return trip there, it has been a few years.

Umm you do mean as Nancy's right? Thats been a bar since befire my grandfather used to sneak into during prohibition! He said it was an old bar then! My dad used to go to the Harrison on Fridays for fish frys.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Umm you do mean as Nancy's right? Thats been a bar since befire my grandfather used to sneak into during prohibition! He said it was an old bar then! My dad used to go to the Harrison on Fridays for fish frys.
    Yes, DP, Nancy Whiskey. I went there the first time right after it opened as Nancy's. It was after a St. Patrick's Day parade. Every year after the parade they have a huge party in the bar and on the streets. Portajohns are outside on the north of the building. You can barely move inside the bar or upstairs. All the Corktown bars are mobbed after the parade and on St. Patrick's Day as well.

Your history of the building is sure interesting. I had heard it was a bar long before Nancy bought it. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Yes, DP, Nancy Whiskey. I went there the first time right after it opened as Nancy's. It was after a St. Patrick's Day parade. Every year after the parade they have a huge party in the bar and on the streets. Portajohns are outside on the north of the building. You can barely move inside the bar or upstairs. All the Corktown bars are mobbed after the parade and on St. Patrick's Day as well.

Your history of the building is sure interesting. I had heard it was a bar long before Nancy bought it. Thanks for the info.

Was that the year the Cops brought the horses into the bar to clear it out?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Was that the year the Cops brought the horses into the bar to clear it out?
    Every year for a few years they would bring a horse from the parade into the bar for laughs. The horse was from one of the parade entrants, I actually worked with the man who owned the horse.

If the police ever cleared out the bar I am not aware of it.

Tom's Tavern, especially on Babe Ruth's birthday...

Detroit Army, if the Whitney restaurant on Woodward still has a bar on the 3rd floor it would be worth stopping in. years ago I went there on occasion and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not far from there is Z's, 1/2 block east of Woodward on Piquette. It's another pub/restaurant in an old Victorian home. They have a great, intimate 1st floor pub w/dining area and a very nice 2nd floor dining room. They also have good parking.

In Detroit proper, I'd say the place I feel most comfortable [[easygoing, nice crowd, non-pretentious) are:

Jumbo's
    Detroit Beer Co.
    Foran's
    Anchor Bar
    Honest John's
    Cadieux Cafe

Some of the "best bars" overall [[even if I don't always like the scene):
    Alley Deck at Majestic Theatre Center
    Bookie's
    Cliff Bell's
    Ignite at MGM
    [[of those I've been to, anyway)

although very pricey whenever i'm in town i love to hit up centaur. the building and interior is hands down the coolest place. its the perfect place to dress up and take out your classy lady. best part is its a very mixed crowd and the vibe is good, i always expected the mosiac-type crowd but its fringe enough behind the fox i guess.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-29-10 at 02:46 PM.

Haven't we done this thread before? There are too many to list!

My favorite bars; Midtown: The Bronx Bar or Motor City Brewery, Downtown: Park Bar for me

Tap Room
    Cadieux Cafe
    Honest Johns
    Nancy Whiskey
    Forans

I used to love the Detroiter, do they still offer blues on the weekend? Jacoby's is right around the block and your within walking distance to Greektown.

i enjoy the checker bar, good food and free poured cocktails, though the hours have been limited in recent years...

Thanks all. Good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Haven't we done this thread before? There are too many to list!
    Pgn, good contribution buddy.

Anyway, it appears that Babe Ruth's birthday is February 6th....wed of next week. Dnerd, when is this Babe Ruth party held at Tom's Tavern? Is it on Ruth's actual birthday or the first weekend in February?

Also, anyone been to Apex Bar on Oakland?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Thanks all. Good suggestions.

Pgn, good contribution buddy.

Anyway, it appears that Babe Ruth's birthday is February 6th....wed of next week. Dnerd, when is this Babe Ruth party held at Tom's Tavern? Is it on Ruth's actual birthday or the first weekend in February?

Also, anyone been to Apex Bar on Oakland?
    It's been awhile, but I've been to the Apex, during the day and early evening. Unassuming, friendly place. Mrs. Persell, the owner, is a nice lady.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Tom's Tavern, especially on Babe Ruth's birthday...
    I'm curious as to why they celebrate Babe Ruth's birthday. The owner is a Yankee fan?

fury, no he isn't, but he sure is a Bath Ruth's Birthday fan. I been there when ther have been 200 people jammed into Tom's ... I kid you not, people come from all points of the globe to attend this party. No, it doesn't make sense, it just is what it is. Sort of like Tom's...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    fury, no he isn't, but he sure is a Bath Ruth's Birthday fan. I been there when ther have been 200 people jammed into Tom's ... I kid you not, people come from all points of the globe to attend this party. No, it doesn't make sense, it just is what it is. Sort of like Tom's...
    Interesting. I'd like to check that out. Sounds like quite a scene.

Nikkis Place-Cadieux and Harper
    First Place-Cadieux and Harper
    High Noon Saloon-E.Warren and Cadieux
    Amvets Post 57-Harper and Allard

Us Irish, like any pub , that has cold beer , and a cute barmaid! Slainte!

Doesn't anybody like the Old Shillelagh? I love that bar.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast