Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Paging BobI and Gazhekwe: tponetom

Paging BobI, Gazhekwe - tponetom
    BobI:
    A belated response to your earlier post.
    Mr. T’s tree is gone? Sadness envelopes. But it is further validation of the ‘trite’ phrase I often use. “Everything that goes around, comes around!” How so? Well, in 1935, when we moved to McClellan Ave., there was no tree in that vacant soil. 74 years later, the soil is again, vacant.
    I began using that phrase in High School and I have often wondered who originated it.
    I thought Shakespeare had something to do with it, with reference to his first and seventh stage of life. But, then, on second thought,,,,,,,,,guess what “came around?” Read on:

Gaz:
    Recently I read the novel, “The Loop.” Author, Nicholas Evans.
    The prologue in the book intrigued me. It follows:

“Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle.

The sky is round and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball and so are the stars.

The wind, in its greatest power, whirls.

Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours.

The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle.

The moon does the same and both are round.

Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing and always come back again to where they were.

The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood. And so it is in everything where power moves.
    Black Elk, Oglala Sioux
    1863-1950
    [[The “childhood to childhood ‘ phrase makes me think Black Elk may have also read Shakespeare. )
    Believe this: Never say never!

By the way, I have been following your stories, reading them to Peggy.

Your post is just beautiful.

Tpone-
    Gaz is a beautiful lady, and let her guide you, in a natural way.

Bigb23

Thank you so much, KchiAmo! What a sweet thing to say.

Tom, I am so happy you and Peggy are enjoying the stories. I will be posting another one this evening. As for Black Elk, he is one of our celebrated wise men. It is so wonderful his teachings have been preserved, and thank you for helping him teach us some more.

Gaz:
    In the early 1980's I read "A People's History of the United States," written by Howard Zinn. To me it is an "undercover" bible of sorts, of the way things were. I have a later [[2003) version that I continue to peruse. I have it beside me now to check the printing date. I opened it, accidentally, to page 104. A one sentence paragraph caught my eye. It read;
    "The puberty ceremony of the Sioux was such as to give pride to a young Sioux maiden."

One, or some might say, "trite."
    I think it is a most profound expression for any culture, then, or now.

Hmm, you're right. Maybe it fell open just so as a pathfinder. We really do need a ceremony to give pride to a young man or maiden as they change from childhood, don't we?

The healers always say we need our ceremonies to show us our path. If we are having some kind of trouble, a healer may see that we need to celebrate a certain ceremony to help us find our path again.

Take your place on The Great Mandala as it moves through your brief moment of time. RIP Howard Zinn who spoke truth to power.