Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New fruit/veg market on 8 Mile

There is a new produce market on the north west corner of 8 Mile and the I-75 service drive. We have been there a few times now. It used to be a car lot, then they sold fireworks there every summer. They renovated the entire inside of the place and did a really nice job of it. Every Tuesday all fruit and veg is half off!

We talked to the owner of the place and he has great plans to eventually have fresh bakery breads, wines, deli, etc. Like a mini-Westborn sort of place. It is a bit easy to fly by and parking is not immediately obvious, but he has better signage coming apparently.

I really hope he can make it a success - it is nice to see new business on 8 Mile!! So if you drive by, stop in and give the guy a hand and buy some stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Every Tuesday all fruit and veg is half off!!
    Thanks for telling me this on Thursday.

Just kidding. I'll try to visit them next Tuesday.

Great to see someone trying to bring something of quality back.. Fresh produce is great leave the junk and fast food alone...

I certainly hope that of the 200+ views on this thread that more than two folks check them out! I'm beginning to wonder about the comments I'm seeing about the lack of positive response to positive threads on here, and that all anyone wants to do is crab.

I guess I was hoping that we could get some positive feedback about this new and encouraging business. Oh well.

I certainly hope that of the 200+ views on this thread that more than two folks check them out! I'm beginning to wonder about the comments I'm seeing about the lack of positive response to positive threads on here, and that all anyone wants to do is crab.

I guess I was hoping that we could get some positive feedback about this new and encouraging business. Oh well.
    Lizaanne, there are certainly a lot of positive people that view these postings and even use the information when visiting places in Detroit. But you have to sort of ignore the negative posts, there are some people who just seem to want to hurt the poster's feelings or rile people up just to be spiteful, who knows why. You did a nice thing by posting the info, if I am in that area in the near future I would sort of like to check the place out. Is it on the Northbound or Southbound I-75 service drive.

And enjoy your experience on this website, just keep in mind it can be unnerving sometimes but very informational always.

What do you want? every single person that views the thread must then post some pollyanna statement about how wonderful it is that a business opened up in Hazel Park?

Bearinabox Guest

Three pages of "Great news! I'm totally going there tomorrow!" wouldn't make for a very interesting thread. What's the point of posting in a thread if you don't have any information on the topic beyond what is already there, and there's no point of controversy about which you can express an opinion? Some types of threads lend themselves to lengthy exchanges and in-depth discussion, and others don't.

Lizaanne, I re-read the original post and noticed the exact location of the market. Thanks for the tip. My last trip to Kroger resulted in the worst fruit I have purchased in recent memory, I may need to try a produce market.

We will be seeing this new market soon.... sooooo looking forward to it.. Would it not be great to have a cook there to show how to make some great dishes.... Hmmmmm maybe an idea here for someone who would enjoy to show there culinary skills.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Is it on the Northbound or Southbound I-75 service drive.
    Thank you for your lovely post!

The market is on the south bound side - but the north west corner. Hope that makes sense. He has a bunch of new signs out now - hopefully that will help!

Okay, I went there yesterday. The owner and the guy at the Deli were quite friendly and helpful. They didn't have much of a selection of vegetables/fruits, but maybe that was because of the day of the week? The deli guy did make me a good sub sandwich though. Looks like a decent place to pick up some quick vegetables/fruits, but it's definitely not a 1-stop-shop. Maybe they will add more product in the future? I have to go there on a Tuesday to see what it looks like on that day.