Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default News understates Matty's political gifts by $187,000

Citizen Moroun is actually more generous, if that's the right word, than Tom Greenwood tallies today in this Detroit News 'Paper Chase' report on a document search.

While they applied a good instinct to shine light on the Ambassador Bridge owner's political activities, an e-visit to the same Michigan Secretary of State database yields a broader picture of donations by Matty, immediate kinfolk members and two bridge executives.

The PDF accompanying The News' report shows it's based on 49 Michigan Campaign Finance Contribution listings -- which tells just 35% of the influence-seeking story because results come from searches only on 'Moroun, M.J.' [47 hits] and 'Moroun, Manuel' [2].

But the state's database is as narrow-minded, literal and unforgiving as . . . well, as some people.

The paper's partial results don't reflect 18 donations attributed to M._J. Moroun or three by Mr. M.J. Moroun. [[Totals below.)

But wait, there's more: A 'Moroun' search without any first name shows a few dozen contributions -- many to the same candidates/PACs, often on same dates -- by wife Nora [[7 donations), son Matthew [[21), daughter Lindsay [[4) and sister Agnes [[6).

Why stop there? Let's toss in 7 gifts from bridge company president Dan Stamper and 5 by VP Mickey Blashfield [[all reported under their corporate affiliation) for this more complete Empire Moroun picture:

• Added Matty gifts: $82,600
    • Nora Moroun: $21,100
    • Matthew Moroun: $38,500
    • Lindsay Moroun: $15,800
    • Agnes Moroun: $ 7,600
    • Dan Stamper: $19,900
    • Mickey Blashfield: $1,550 .

• Additional TOTAL: $187,050

So the overall total is nearly triple The News' tally:
    In the last decade, he has donated more than $100,000.
    Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with supporting our political process this way . . . well, except for the fact that the vast majority of voters can't do so.

What, if any, are the benefits that have been derived from the donations?

Great Post Reality check! Another error in the News story claims that Matty Moroun was born poor. I believe the evidence is he inherited a successful business.

Default All I'm saying is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    What, if any, are the benefits that have been derived from the donations?
    Direct access to elected officials beyond what you or I customarily can expect.

Obviously, there's no Donation-->Request-->Favorable Decision chain with connectible dots and a flashing arrow that we and prosecutors can follow.

Campaign checks from Matty, Friends and Family are legal, customary, even an admirable part of democracy to some [[of his fellow DAC members, that is). One can reasonably say he'd be foolish not to grease the path of access to decision-makers whose ears he needs . . . and whose support has bottom-line impact.

Elected recipients of Moroun Empire generosity have influence over MDOT, MEDC, public activity bonds, zoning, permits, street closings and other items critical to the Detroit International Bridge Co.

Naturally, recipients surely would insist their actions have absolutely no relation whatsoever to campaign contributions. And in fairness, that may well be true in at least some instances . . . maybe most, for all we know.

But I do believe a businessman who controls how at least $287,000 is doled out has more influence than any individuals or groups in Corktown, Southwest Detroit or perhaps all of Southeast Michigan. [[And these state totals don't include gifts to congressional candidates or national parties' committees.)

That right there is part of what kindles efforts for campaign finance reform and public underwriting of political spending.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; January-28-10 at 01:50 PM.

So Was the News article intentionally misleading or just a lack of shall we say competence?

Default Lack of, shall we say . . .

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanAlliance View Post
    . . . intentionally misleading or just a lack of shall we say competence?
    Haste = Oversight

Staff shrinkage = Quality erosion

They went after him, so intent was well-placed. Diligence, not so much.

good work RC. I know it took some time to search through all that stuff, I doff my hat to your efforts.

Default Wait, there's more - - MUCH more . . .

Gregg Ward, VP at the Detroit Windsor Truck Ferry, Inc. and an ardent Moroun monitor, reminds those on his e-mail list that the political $ flow is vastly larger than reported by The News and my post when federal campaigns are counted.

He dusted off a comprehensive Metro Times report last June by Sandra Svoboda.
    Moroun and his associates have given at least $1.1 million to campaigns and political action committees during the last two decades. And that amount doesn't include direct lobbying expenses.

. . . In 2001, the Morouns started "bundling" their contributions, with several family members making large donations to a single candidate or political action committee in a short period of time — sometimes the same day. It's a donation strategy that analysts say increases the impact of the money.

Moroun money also has gone to out-of-state members of Congress on key committees related to the bridge. . . . Rich Robinson, executive director of the Michigan Campaign Finance Network, says Moroun's intentions are clear. "He has invested to get a certain sort of public policy and he's been pretty successful in getting the return he wanted," he says.
    And that, Kraig, is why this matters.

The estimable toll-roads news site www.tollroadsnews.com has an article today on MDOT's request for indications of interest in the new DRIC bridge. Editor Peter Samuel notes the unwillingness of Canadian officials to go along with plans for twinning the Ambassador Bridge, due to the impacts on the connecting road corridor. Samuel notes, "Canadian officials remain unbought - for now." No similar statement can be made about Michigan officials.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Gregg Ward, VP at the Detroit Windsor Truck Ferry, Inc. and an ardent Moroun monitor, reminds those on his e-mail list that the political $ flow is vastly larger than reported by The News and my post when federal campaigns are counted.

He dusted off a comprehensive Metro Times report last June by Sandra Svoboda.And that, Kraig, is why this matters.
    You may want to refer back to my still unanswered question. Which is; What benefit has been derived from the donations?

Your subsequent posts still have not answered that question. The Metro Times report isn't an accurate assessment as it is a twenty year total on not only the Morouns, but all of the employees of all their companies. It even went so far as to state a $75.00 donation made by an employee to a candidate. There are probably plenty of companies whose employees have donated about $1,100,000.00 to various campaigns and candidates over a 20 year period.

As Far as Rich Robinson's quote, there's no reference to any factual material that would make it more than just his opinion. I'm not saying there isn't any, I'm just saying that it wasn't there in the article.

I'm not saying that Matty is donating the money simply because he believes in a candidates' vision. However, there is a difference between evidence and proof. There's plenty of implied evidence that he's attempting to influence decisions. But, there's no actual proof. Does it matter? Yes. But, that wasn't my question now, was it? If a ten to twenty year history is being done on the man and his family. Is it too much to ask for a little proof if the only reason the writer is writing the story appears to be to get the reader to reach the conclusion that Matty is doing something wrong?

Kraig:

Ask Momma Cheeks why she tried to block funding for the competing bridge.....I guess the only "proof" that you'll accept is a signed confession, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Kraig:

Ask Momma Cheeks why she tried to block funding for the competing bridge.....I guess the only "proof" that you'll accept is a signed confession, eh?
    No, if presented with that, I'll accept that. I understand that the request was made by MM to have her block the funding.

Now, do you have proof that she took the steps to block it? If you have any reference material, I'll even check it out myself and post it. Thanks.

Default In response . . .

. .. refer back to my still unanswered question: What benefit has been derived from the donations?

Your subsequent posts still have not answered that question. . . . there is a difference between evidence and proof. There's plenty of implied evidence that he's attempting to influence decisions. But, there's no actual proof.
    Last pass at this, Kraig, as it's clearly a situation where I agree we disagree.

My intent was to lay out facts, not "proof" of anything or "the conclusion that Matty is doing something wrong." This isn't a gotcha game.

I can't speak for Sandra Svoboda or Rich Robinson, and linked to her article simply to show [[1) this topic isn't new and [[2) counting federal campaigns pushes us into seven figures.

I never suggested these and other above-board political donations buy anything more than enhanced access to policymakers.
    Campaign checks from Matty, Friends and Family are legal, customary, even an admirable part of democracy to some . . . One can reasonably say he'd be foolish not to grease the path of access to decision-makers . . .

Recipients surely would insist their actions have absolutely no relation whatsoever to campaign contributions. And in fairness, that may well be true in at least some instances . . . maybe most, for all we know.
    Respectfully, Kraig, I feel your request for "proof" of "what benefit has been derived from the donations" does not fit this discussion. It seems like a varsity debater's effort to wedge an opponent into a corner of a different position than he or she has taken. [[Yes, a gotcha game.)

Listing Moroun donations, in The News and here, is not about building an airtight, courtroom-worthy bribery, collusion or corruption case. It's about shining light on how a wealthy businessperson with interest in pending government decisions participates in the elective process.

That transparency may be beneficial to democracy.

Our discussion, on the other hand . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Last pass at this, Kraig, as it's clearly a situation where I agree we disagree.

My intent was to lay out facts, not "proof" of anything or "the conclusion that Matty is doing something wrong." This isn't a gotcha game.

I can't speak for Sandra Svoboda or Rich Robinson, and linked to her article simply to show [[1) this topic isn't new and [[2) counting federal campaigns pushes us into seven figures.

I never suggested these and other above-board political donations buy anything more than enhanced access to policymakers.Respectfully, Kraig, I feel your request for "proof" of "what benefit has been derived from the donations" does not fit this discussion. It seems like a varsity debater's effort to wedge an opponent into a corner of a different position than he or she has taken. [[Yes, a gotcha game.)

Listing Moroun donations, in The News and here, is not about building an airtight, courtroom-worthy bribery, collusion or corruption case. It's about shining light on how a wealthy businessperson with interest in pending government decisions participates in the elective process.

That transparency may be beneficial to democracy.

Our discussion, on the other hand . . .

I get it. It's just a slam piece that everyone is supposed to agree to and an honest question doesn't fit the discussion. The sad part is that you think we disagree based on the fact that I asked a question. My apologies if one simple question made you feel "cornered" in any way.

I get it. It's just a slam piece that everyone is supposed to agree to and an honest question doesn't fit the discussion. The sad part is that you think we disagree based on the fact that I asked a question. My apologies if one simple question made you feel "cornered" in any way.
    I must say it is curious that you defend DIBC at every opportunity.
    When I say "every opportunity" let me be clear: EVERY OPPORTUNITY.
    Curious, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMPOST View Post
    I must say it is curious that you defend DIBC at every opportunity.
    When I say "every opportunity" let me be clear: EVERY OPPORTUNITY.
    Curious, is all.

Please point out where I've defended the DIBC on this thread. Is asking a question or two considered defending the DIBC? As was stated in my previous post, it's sad that people think I disagree just because I asked a question.

Truth be told, I think a grave disservice is being done to the Mexicantown, Corktown, Delray residents by the DIBC, DRIC, Marathon Oil, the Detroit Salt Mines, MDOT, Cheeks-Kilpatrick, Tlaib, Dingell, Levin, Mayor Bing, City Council, Wayne County, Jennifer Granholm, the MDEQ and the EPA. You call it defending the DIBC. I call it not only looking at the person whose hand is in my left pocket, but the other people who have their hands in my right and back pockets as well. My enemy's enemy is not my friend in this situation.

If we're going to look at how Moroun is attempting to influence decision makers. Shouldn't we also look at the decisions that those decision makers have made? My one queston, and all it was was one question, at no point challenged anyone's conclusion on what Moroun was up to. It simply was a question that gave anyone who may have known the answer to it the opportunity to further expand on the intent of the article that clearly was not being done by the writer of the article or the original poster. It wasn't a gotcha, master debating tactic or indictment on anyone's viewpoint. It was simply one question. Is asking a question really that bad?