Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default President Obama's State of the Union Speech

Comments on style, accuracy, and content? What was your impression?

Retroit Guest

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................

LOL! But the "details" or omissions may be important!
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-28-10 at 11:26 AM.

Hi oladub,
    This is a very thoughtful post!

We can copy out exerpts from the speech and comment on it.

You can read between the lines and see where the future is heading pretty easily. The quick summary is that Obama is "staying the course" --nothing changes from his perspective-- but I look forward to supporting that claim.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-28-10 at 12:44 PM.

I watched it for awhile, but gave up because of the annoying mannerisms of Biden and Pelosi behind Obama. Biden was nodding at everything like a bobble head doll. Maybe they'll strap his head to the chair next time. Pelosi constantly chews her lip or cheek like a cud thoughout the speech, and done so at every presidential address to Congress since becoming Speaker. Someone should speak to her about that, but i suspect that she doesn't handle criticism well.

I think it is seriously hypocritical for members of Congress to applaud lines dealing with fixing the defecit or reducing spending, since they are the very group that approved the out of control spending in the first place.

Ravine Guest

It's not as though I'm totally satisfied with everything about the Obama presidency, so far, but I still think he is an enormous improvement over the nitwit chimpanzee who preceded him in the office.

I hated Bush's foreign policy.

The main question is whether our country and it's citizens are doing better or worse than last year.

That's a short sighted question and answer. Corporations who think that way and don't think about long term strategies tend to fail.

Since it came on at 6:00 p.m. out here in the PST, he bumped "Jeopardy!" off my tube last night. I'm pissed.

Obama on earmarks
    ------------------------
    But let's go to the speach! On the topic of earmarks.
    Obama wrote:
    >>And I know that with all the lobbying and horse-trading, the process left most Americans wondering, "What's in it for me?"

No, Americans want the process changed. They want transparency. They don't want secret horse trading. We want to see the sausage making. Americans want an end to that lazy form of policymaking called earmarks. Keep bills relevant to the topic at hand. Don't load them with a bunch of spending irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Obamo wrote:
    >>I'm also calling on Congress to continue down the path of earmark reform. Applause.) Democrats and Republicans. [[Applause.) Democrats and Republicans. You've trimmed some of this spending, you've embraced some meaningful change. But restoring the public trust demands more. For example, some members of Congress post some earmark requests online. [[Applause.) Tonight, I'm calling on Congress to publish all earmark requests on a single Web site before there's a vote, so that the American people can see how their money is being spent. [[Applause.)

Congress? All the main presidential candidates in the last election, Clinton, McCain, Obama, Huckabee said they would put an end to ear marks. We don't want them on a web page. You said all your bills would be aired 72 hours before a vote and you did not keep that promise with health care. I don't want that stuff on a web page. You said it would be gone. I have not seen any serious work towards getting rid of ear marks. I read that in Obama's last bill he signed there were 3,000 ear marks worth billions. Mr President, I believe you had said you would reject a bill that contained one earmark.

Give me a stirring speach about how you are going to be "naive" and get rid of earmarks, and then do it!

With the 24 hour news cycle a president can't get away with breaking your campaign promises so easily. Both parties do it. They get "realistic" once they get in office. But we are holding you to it. We want change you can believe in.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-28-10 at 01:14 PM.

Obama on reducing goverment spending and the country debt

Obama wrote:
    >>Now, if we had taken office in ordinary times, I would have liked nothing more than to start bringing down the deficit. But we took office amid a crisis. And our efforts to prevent a second depression have added another $1 trillion to our national debt. That, too, is a fact.

>>I'm absolutely convinced that was the right thing to do. But families across the country are tightening their belts and making tough decisions. The federal government should do the same. [[Applause.) So tonight, I'm proposing specific steps to pay for the trillion dollars that it took to rescue the economy last year.

>>Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. [[Applause.) Spending related to our national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will not be affected. But all other discretionary government programs will. Like any cash-strapped family, we will work within a budget to invest in what we need and sacrifice what we don't. And if I have to enforce this discipline by veto, I will. [[Applause.)

>>Now, I know that some in my own party will argue that we can't address the deficit or freeze government spending when so many are still hurting. And I agree -- which is why this freeze won't take effect until next year -- [[laughter) .

Wow! the laughter is right! This year he increased the cost of most goverment agencies by 30%, he may increase them more this year. And next year he will "freeze" spending increases. That's like an alcoholic stocking up on vodka before a holiday because he knows he can't buy on the Christmas day. That is will-power, he is not even freezing the spending this year! Next year! Yes, that's fiscal responsibiliy!

And he is "freezing" spending on only a tiny part of the budget. Not the whole budget. As he works to get another budget busting "jobs bill" through congress, undoubtedly creating more temporary jobs, he is clipping his fingernails and calling that "going on a diet". But he is not even clipping his fingernails this year, next year, next year.

Healthcare
    Obama wrote:
    >>So, as temperatures cool, I want everyone to take another look at the [healthcare] plan we've proposed. ... But if anyone from either party has a better approach that will bring down premiums, bring down the deficit, cover the uninsured, strengthen Medicare for seniors, and stop insurance company abuses, let me know. [[Applause.) Let me know.

Earth to Obama, the republicans put their ideas on a web site:
    http://www.gop.gov/solutions/healthcare

Fire up your browser sir. Some of those ideas sound pretty good. Why are they not addressed? As I understand it, all the healthcare deliberations were behind closed doors and the Republicans were not invited. If you are going to reach accross the aisle, you are going to have to change some of your policies, but because you had the supermajority you did not even try.

Obama wrote:
    >>Here's what I ask Congress, though: Don't walk away from reform. Not now. Not when we are so close. Let us find a way to come together and finish the job for the American people. [[Applause.) Let's get it done.

Translation:
    This bill which the mass of American votes has rejected again and again through whatever public forum is available to them, namely public meetings and whatever political races have occured, I want to pass this bill no matter what! I know what is best for the American people. They American people are fickle, and just as ghettopalmetto says, statistics show they are stupid. Stupid! Like rocks! I am really smart. All the people around me are really smart. We know we are right. So, to my fellow Democrates who going to be voted in a landslide out of office, do the right thing, ignore the stupid Americans! I am your president.

Oooooooops! Maybe I read a little too deeply between the lines in that one. Yet that seems to be the underlying dynamic.
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-28-10 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Biden was nodding at everything like a bobble head doll. Maybe they'll strap his head to the chair next time.
    LOL I thought the very same thing!!!

There's a great way to avoid seeing Biden nod..Turn off your television and turn on your radio.

[[geez, are we gonna get a critique of the lighting, too?)

It was the best State of the Union speech that I've ever heard, until he got to the part about Afghanistan, then he started to sound like LBJ.

There were portions that appealed directly to me, like addressing the issue of people with preexisting conditions being denied affordable health insurance, something the critics of his policies don't seem to have much of an answer to, other than shrugging.

He gave us the date of an exit from Iraq. Fantastic!

He should have demanded that the criminals who invented that fiasco, [[you know, the party of "responsibility" and "less spending") apologize to the American People.

He critiqued the decision last week of the Supreme Court, [[to allow unlimited funding of politicians, including judges, by corporations) with the corporate puppets who voted for it right there in front of him. I liked that.

His critics don't seem to have any opinion about that decision either.

Quote: "He should have demanded that the criminals who invented that fiasco, [[you know, the party of "responsibility" and "less spending") apologize to the American People."

Ask the Mother or Father of a son or daughter lost in that lie what should be done with them. And not just Bush and Cheney, How about the "architects" as well.

jflick3535 Guest

"I forgot he was black tonight for an hour"

can't wait to hear/see the sharpton/jackson spin on this one!!!

Ask the Mother or Father of a son or daughter lost in that lie what should be done with them. And not just Bush and Cheney, How about the "architects" as well.
    As if Community activist Obama would not have been screaming from the rooftops if an unqualified minority family was denied a loan from the big evil bank back when times were good? Don't you remember the equal opportunity housing back in the day? Blame should be shared by all, from Clinton and Bush to the banks, to the special interest groups, and on and on... the end result was due to a series of influences, events, and special interests

Rick Beall,

All due respect, sir, but there is NO FUCKING WAY either of the political parties could or would propose any form of useful healthcare reform. If you imagine they could, I am afraid for you.

As for the speech, I'm still digesting it. Probably the most powerful State of the Union I've ever heard.

Promise to stop the actions in Iraq by August.

Challenging Congress to get something done.

Challenging the Supremes over their ruling letting the corporations finally blatantly buy the whole process, saving them millions from the clandestine operations they've had to structure to get around this law. [[watch how many little foundations disappear now)

Not one mention of Afghanistan.

I think that whole scheme of taking money from the national banks and getting it into the hands of smaller local banks [[notice he never said the term Credit Union) so small business can get loans is a trap, though. We'll see.

I recorded it on my friend's DVR, and will watch it again. I've NEVER retreaded any public speech, but feel so for this one.

I don't trust this fellow, but when I get caught up in his powerful delivery...that is turned around [[and I hate being subject to manipulation). I WANT him to be real and true and on the side of good...but at the moment I simply do not know.

I got around Biden and Pelosi by averting my eyes...I'm learning how to control how bothersome things affect me...because some distractions are ON PURPOSE. I'm just sayin'.

Cheers and more...I'm horrified that this thread has only 127 reads thus far...but cannot wait to get around my rabid right-wing client in an hour who will undoubtedly want to talk about it.

I listened to it on the radio, so missed all the distractions. I thought the first part was a bit off, or at least, I didn't want to hear more nuke plants, more coal, more drilling, but at least he got to the renewables after that. [[I do realize there is no one solution to our energy consumption.) I like how he addressed the huge divide that prevents any meaningful dialogue. I just wish it would do some good. The touches of humor were pretty neat.

As for the Republican reply that their ideas are on a website, what is stopping Congress from talking about the ideas? So, all the members are supposed to individually log onto the website, read the ideas to themselves, and then what? Why not introduce them on the floor? Why can't we get them past NO!?
    Last edited by gazhekwe; January-28-10 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I hated Bush's foreign policy.
    What of substance has really changed under Obama?

Quote: "As if Community activist Obama would not have been screaming from the rooftops if an unqualified minority family was denied a loan from the big evil bank back when times were good? Don't you remember the equal opportunity housing back in the day? Blame should be shared by all, from Clinton and Bush to the banks, to the special interest groups, and on and on... the end result was due to a series of influences, events, and special interests "

Same song here, you just cranked the tone up a bit.

Yeah, I hear you, I watched for a while then turned if off to go to the written speech where you can really access what was said without the distracting, head bobbling and other window dressings and tv variety show stuff, yet some of the visuals were interesting to say the least, so I recorded it to see for myself the media highlights on said visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I watched it for awhile, but gave up because of the annoying mannerisms of Biden and Pelosi behind Obama. Biden was nodding at everything like a bobble head doll. Maybe they'll strap his head to the chair next time. Pelosi constantly chews her lip or cheek like a cud thoughout the speech, and done so at every presidential address to Congress since becoming Speaker. Someone should speak to her about that, but i suspect that she doesn't handle criticism well.

I think it is seriously hypocritical for members of Congress to applaud lines dealing with fixing the defecit or reducing spending, since they are the very group that approved the out of control spending in the first place.

Default An Audacious Speech

President Obama tried to pass off and re-label a perennial Democrat wish list of new spending programs for the poor as being middle class programs that won't raise discretionary spending. Then he tried to pass himself off as limiting spending by 2011 after raising federal expenditures 24% last year.

He spoke of bringing troops home from the middle east as he sends them in. No reporter thought to ask how many 'non-combat' troops he plans to leave in Iraq. He only said that he would bring home all the combat troops. During his campaign, he stated that he wanted to to leave about 50,000 non-combat troops behind. Still, 50,000 is less than half of the troops we have their now.

Entergy, a nuke powered Illinois utility and Obama campaign contributor, had its investment in Obama pay off. President Obama announced, in effect, that he intends to use green energy as a cover to build more nuclear power plants. " to create more of these clean energy jobs, we need more production, more efficiency, more incentives. And that means building a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants in this country. [[Applause.)"

I especially like the part where he told us how much he hated leaving the campaign trail to come to Washington to lobby the black caucus to vote for Bush's Wall Street bailout. Wow, he did this all for us.

I'll give him an 'A' for all the bending over posturing he has had to do for his bankrollers - all in our name of course. He even mentioned the "the promise enshrined in our Constitution" after announcing that he would be issuing an executive order to trump Congress because it voted the wrong way. If you like corporatism, this has got to be your man. That was probably the most significant thing that happened. He usurped Congress' power to make laws and they applauded him like a bunch of castrated sheep. I can't find the term 'executive order' in the Constitution. Maybe President Obama is more of an expert on the "Enabling Act" than the Constitution. This is how he explained his tiptoeing into dictatorship last night.

"Now, yesterday, the Senate blocked a bill that would have created this commission. So I'll issue an executive order that will allow us to go forward, because I refuse to pass this problem on to another generation of Americans." -Barack Obama

I'm also wondering what he meant by putting media pundits who disagree with him into the same category as CEOs who rewards themselves for failurre and selfish bankers. He clearly didn't like the Supreme Court's ruling in support of free speech. As he periodically slaps the bankers, do his remarks against critics suggest anything similar?

Obama ... intends to use green energy as a cover to build more nuclear power plants.

Any energy process that leave waste behind for 40,000 years is not green. The current nuclear plants all leave highly radioactive waste behind.

It may be possible to build nuclear plants that leave no readioactive waste. If they were safe, I would be for them. But the current generation of plants. .... I wonder where France is putting all their nuclear waste?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast