Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default DPS...a Shakespearean Tragedy

Interesting, creative piece in Metro Times yesterday by Sandra Svoboda, which chronicles the troubles of the Detroit Public Schools from a Shakespearean point of view. Excellent piece of journalism:
    http://metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=14748

Let Robert Bobb run the whole DPS show. Maybe he would be the next " PRINCIPLE JOE CLARK" of Detroit.

"WHAT FOOLS THESE MORTALS BE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Let Robert Bobb run the whole DPS show. Maybe he would be the next " PRINCIPLE JOE CLARK" of Detroit.

Wouldn't that be Principal Joe Clark?

detroitchef Guest

Yes
    Yes it would be.

Didn't know Danny was a DPS grad!

Guy, before you go and proclaim Robert Bobb as King of Detroit Public Schools, please remember he's a businessman--a dollar and cents, bottom line FINANCIAL guy. He's not an educator, nor has he ever been an educator. He's already made some financial decisions [[such as laying off counselors and social workers) that have put a strain on the education portion of the district. Or to put it another way, just because Mike Illitch knows how to run the financial side of the Red Wings doesn't mean I think he should coach the team.

Since he's a bottom line guy, his bottom line can be the quality of our kids' education. Of course, he's still responsible for balancing the books so I'm not surprised that he's had to make cuts.

My bottom line is I trust Bobb much more than the idiots on the DPS board, the entrenched administration bureaucracy or the union leaders.

Using your analogy, Mike Illitch or another owner doesn't need to be a financial expert or a hockey expert. He just needs to be a good businessman with enough acumen to know he needs to hire experts in those areas where he lacks expertise, while he sets overall direction and allocates resources. Like former Boeing CEO Mulally is doing at Ford.
    Last edited by Det_ard; January-28-10 at 03:02 PM.

Hah! The "ple" vs "pal" factor. Gets me too sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Wouldn't that be Principal Joe Clark?

Excellent Point!
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Guy, before you go and proclaim Robert Bobb as King of Detroit Public Schools, please remember he's a businessman--a dollar and cents, bottom line FINANCIAL guy. He's not an educator, nor has he ever been an educator. He's already made some financial decisions [[such as laying off counselors and social workers) that have put a strain on the education portion of the district. Or to put it another way, just because Mike Illitch knows how to run the financial side of the Red Wings doesn't mean I think he should coach the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

In order to be the "next" Joe Clark, there would have to have been a FIRST. I know very little about the history of DPS but I doubt that DPs has ever had a crusader the likes of Joe Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by border5150 View Post
    In order to be the "next" Joe Clark, there would have to have been a FIRST. I know very little about the history of DPS but I doubt that DPs has ever had a crusader the likes of Joe Clark.
    They didn't always need a crusader. Back around 1950, Detroit schools were so good and the range of offerings at the high school level was so great that suburban parents paid tuition to DPS to be allowed to send their kids to Detroit high schools.

Think Cass Tech, Commercial, Wilber Wright Aeromechanics.......

Even the regional high schools had a range of offerings. When I went to Denby, the curriculum class list took a couple of pages.

I received a very good education from the Detroit Public Schools during the 1980s and 1990s [[shock! gasp!).

Quote Originally Posted by detroitchef View Post
    Yes
    Yes it would be.

Didn't know Danny was a DPS grad!
    Yes, I was Cody High School Class of 2003 COMETS FOREVER!

Detroit Public Schools lives forever.