Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Tax Time!

Route29 Guest

Default Tax Time!

Any recommendations on where to get my taxes done in the City of Detroit?

Mine are uncomplicated. I have one job, rent my house, am not married, and have no children.

I've done H&R Block and was not satisfied. Done with my suburban firm who wasn't aware of Detroit taxes...though they're quite plainly on the W2's...

Can't say I trust the places with the State of Liberty guys outside, who range from disgruntled to menacing looking.

Anybody cheap? Do any of the colleges have programs where they'll do your taxes? Anybody have somebody they really like and trust who does theirs in Detroit?

Try using taxact.com or a similar website where it costs you $30 bucks and you're done in 20 minutes.

I have pretty complicated taxes and find that Tax Act is easy to use. the one Caveat is that you will still need to do your Detroit Taxes by hand then enter the credit you get on your state taxes.

What is so hard about doing your taxes yourself. Not trying to be a dick, but I did mine last night in about 20 mins, mine is pretty simple like yours except that I own my house and therefore itemize instead of taking the standard deduction.

Route29 Guest

I have never done my taxes myself. I do not know how. Maybe I will do them. The websites are helpful suggestions. Okay? Why does everyone care so much about that?

If anyone DOES have any helpful suggestions about Tax Preparers in the City of Detroit, maybe this page could be a resource for people who may not want to do their taxes themselves and want to utilize someone in the City.

Wouldn't that be nice?

These tax preperation companys are a rip off- you really should do yout taxes on your own, especially if your return isn't too complicated.

Get used to it Route29 - Most people on this site delight in insulting you instead of trying to help. Try Briggs Tax Service on Mack across from Meade Dodge, ask for Cathy. Technically she is in Grosse Pointe, since she is on the south side of Mack - I'm sure that I will be slammed by some for not providing a Detroit tax preparer.

Mine, too, are uncomplicated. I did them [[on paper) last Saturday, proofread them Sunday, and mailed them on Monday.
    I would be happy to do yours for thirty dollars, but recommend that you do them yourself, then spend thirty dollars on relatively fresh vegetables and fruit at Eastern Market.

I was told last year that providing tax returns on paper, by mail, would result in months of waiting for any refund. I received the federal refund in less than three weeks.
    Last edited by Bobl; February-06-10 at 01:07 PM.

Try Accounting Aid Society. They are free and darn good.