Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The photo of the Trading Post; who is the owner?

Hello Detroityes,
    A while back, I spotted a photo of the Trading Post on the forum. The first chapter in my next book Run BabyGirl Run is entitled "The Trading Post." I was beside myself to see someone had a photo of the Trading Post. I would like to use the photo in the book. Hopefully the owner will grant me permission. Please!

Thank you,
    Johnnie Sue

Hi Sue
    I believe "Oldguy" posted that photo and I think the links below will get you there. I aslo sent you a PM.

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3475&page=3

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

I do recall visiting the Trading Post several times in the early 70s. It was an incredibly popular, crowded "freak boutique," like a large head shop on steroids. It had a very anarchistic atmosphere with lots of exotic imported fashions, jewelry, novelties, incense. I expected a police raid at any moment but it never happened to my knowledge.

I read that it burned down because of a fire in the candle factory. They made hand-crafted fantasy candles.

Sorry, I have no photos.

Default Thank you! Isle_of_fun

Hello Isle_of_fun,

Thank you so much for the photo. I was just reading through “The Trading Post” chapter making sure the book opened the way I wanted it to read. When I work on my books, I to have set my mind to go back there. So, it was as if the day was yesterday that I was at the Trading Post. Then to see your photo, wow! Thank you so much.

It is funny that you mentioned your husband being an artist/illustrator. I was going to post a request for some help on sketching my design. The book is finished and I am ready to begin the art. Please e-mail me.
    God Bless
    Johnnie Sue
    Last edited by Johnnie Sue Bridges; January-29-10 at 12:19 PM.

Jimaz,
    I could not have said it any better; that's just about the way I described the Trading Post in Run BabyGirl Run. There was a band playing when I was there that day. Their speakers were sitting on a bale of hay. The hitchhike there was colder than Kraut. We like to have froze to death, but the three of us found plenty of connections on the bullintinboard. It was definitely a time and a place worth experiencing. The 70s were great. My grandson tells everyone that he is part hippie—from, on his Mama’s side. LOL That tickles me to death when he says that.
    Johnnie Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I do recall visiting the Trading Post several times in the early 70s. It was an incredibly popular, crowded "freak boutique," like a large head shop on steroids. It had a very anarchistic atmosphere with lots of exotic imported fashions, jewelry, novelties, incense. I expected a police raid at any moment but it never happened to my knowledge.

I read that it burned down because of a fire in the candle factory. They made hand-crafted fantasy candles.

Sorry, I have no photos.