Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Introducing Detroit Seed Swappers Unlimited

Heya,

After much discussion with some of the movers and shakers in our ever-growing Urban Agriculture movement, the idea was sparked to have one community event designed to get us all looking forward to Spring Time.

To that end, I just started a Facebook group as a clearinghouse for information regarding seed swapping and selling, along with other pertinent stuff not covered by the existing groups that currently teach and otherwise support us all. Detroit Seed Swappers Unlimited. Please feel free to join us there.

The immediate goal is an annual day-long event that would end in a party. Swap and/or buy seeds, meet friends old and new, buy a copy of the Farmer's Almanac...learn how others are approaching their partnership with Mother Nature for direct supply of their family's food needs. This would specifically be an outreach for the Capuchin and Greening of Detroit groups to share their endeavors with citizens who are curious...and those who approach desperation.

I do not yet know what venue will work best, I'm awaiting some feedback from Eastern Market and the Brothers down at the Capuchin Center...but the first one will likely be at Cub's place or over at Spirit Farms. I can see the Market being the logical choice if this thing takes traction.

ANY input is appreciated, but the stuff that gets posted on the Facebook page will get to the appropriate eyes better than here...so if you feel moved to add a comment here, please post it there, too.

Cheers and more, here's to Spring.

Love,
    John

[[bump)

Thanks for those I don't yet know who've already joined the Facebook group.

Cheers!

Ravine Guest

Shame on you, Mr. G.

The accepted method is to clean out your bag, using the inside of a fold-out album jacket with the appropriately-porous texture, and either toss out the seeds, or if the stuff is really high-quality, buy a big pot & some potting soil, and hope that the God of Gardening favors you.
    But NO. YOU want to fire up some "exchange" program. Have you no shame, good sir!!

*Ahem* This is why the inside groove of the jacket for my copy of "In The Court Of The Crimson King" presents an obvious preponderance of evidence regarding my mid-70's activities...

... the inside of a fold-out album jacket with the appropriately-porous texture...

I've often wondered how many people actually rolled that big boy.

Ravine Guest

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one.

Well, better that than to wear the panties from "School's Out."

I realize that you're putting your information of Facebook and I understand why you're doing that. I don't belong to Facebook but I do a lot of gardening. I don't live in Detroit but I work at promoting community gardening where I live. I was just curious if you could give me some basic information about how you work a seed swap. Sounds like a good idea and I'd just like some basic info without joining Facebook. Thanks.

PQZ Guest

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about the schvitz.

Heya Old Guy, we'll keep you in the loop through Det313grrl.

We're going to try to inventory what folks have available, along with some testimony on the results from last year if possible.

Got some very enterprising individuals here, some great depth of knowledge. The Facebook group grew pretty quickly, but I know some are not going to play that game.

We'll start an e-mail list, and I'm sure Det313grrl has your information...right?

Cheers

Oh, and as with any market...trade and purchase value is negotiable.

I'm sure some of these legacy seeds have a greater value than the common stuff...but I want to encourage diversity.

We'll work something out so you have a proxy here to get what you may want or need!

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I'm sure some of these legacy seeds have a greater value than the common stuff...
    Manrooter would agree.

Thanks Gannon.

Oh Darn, I read too fast, I thought this thread was about Detroit wife swapping, "seed swapping" a biblical way of saying .... oh never mind.

There. Hows that for bump for keeping you at the top?

Seed swappers is starting to sound like a sex club. I remember an old Italian man who found out out I had two boys and tried to get me to marry one of his sons. Did not seem significant to him that I had been married for years. Wierd... really!

However for serious gardeners, I have several root divisions that I will share this spring.

Sumas, Have you ever tried to grow raspberries or rhubarb? I planted both roots last spring...nothing!

Stromberg2

I grew raspberries for years and rhubarb too. Unfortunately a neighbor let a mulberry tree grow wild and don't have enough sun anymore. Last year I dug it all up and gave the plants to Georgia street community gardens. With no sun I just didn't get enough yield. Across from the raspberry bed I had my cottage garden. Same problem, no sun now. That is why I will have lots of divisions to give to people.

A short list of what I can give is: Sedums [[four kinds) Black Eyed Susans [[goldstrum) Lilies of the Valley, Peonies, Mountain Bluet, Liatris, sweet woodruff, Shasta Daisys, Bee balm and much more.

Probably have to redo the whole back yard, what was sunny is now shady and what was shady is now sunny.

I sell herbs at West Park Market in late spring so if anyone has a wish list, just post, probably have it. My divisions are free. Herbs plants are $2.50.

Herbs to stay away from: mint of any kind unless container grown, garlic chives, lemon balm, Lemon Verbena and Feverfew. Wildly invasive.

Bump for relevance.

It is time to exercise this idea.

More info to come as it develops.

OK, Facebook group is still there...good.

Brought in at least ONE other to help manage it...great. Some of you might know the guy.

Now, the clincher...there are sources of legacy seedstock which may soon be available. I cannot say more until the conduit opens...but I expect it.

More as soon as it becomes available!

Cheers all. Spring is on its way.

got the message over there on FB. which reminded me to check in on here.

LodgeDodger Guest

I received notification on FB, too. Like Ravine, I thought it might be pot-related. I have some "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" seeds.

^^^
    LD, are those flower seeds? I save heirloom tomato seeds myself.

Stromberg2

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    ^^^
    LD, are those flower seeds? I save heirloom tomato seeds myself.

Stromberg2
    Yes, the actual name for the flowers is "Polygonum Orientale".

LodgeDodger Guest

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Name:  kmotgg.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  kiss me over the garden gate.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  20.6 KB

Thanks, LD!

Stromberg2

littlebuddy Guest

I have some extra seed, mostly veggie seed, if there is someone really in need, I would send it to them, just post an address in here.

If he can make the space, I believe our clearinghouse will be at Cub's.

Where you BE, Cub?

I'll check and get back with you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast