Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are neighborhoods happening?

Just wanted to know if any money is being spent on the neighborhoods. Anybody know?
    Much bally hoo was made about development money being targeted to seven neighborhoods a year or two ago and I haven't heard anything else about it.
    Grand River- Greenfield was on of the areas and I wonder with all the cities ills if this has been forgotten or put on hold.

Kwame Kilpatrick's vision was to focus on those seven neighborhoods but Dave Bing's vision could be something entirely different. Each of those neighborhoods should have a plan to rebuild their' business district which takes vision. That is something this present mayor hasn't displayed so far. He know how to make cuts but doesn't know how to help bring jobs to detroit. Someone had said that he is a "Businessman" and runs this city like one. That is the wrong way to do things. He was a failing businessman at that

Retroit Guest

Detroit doesn't need neighborhoods. It only needs a downtown and Mid-town.

[[sarcasm)

I study neighborhoods [[Urb & Regnl Studies Major) and I have yet to see any significant investment in infrastructure by the city, other than the occasional asphalt pick up and rollover, in any part of the city since the Brush Park "makeover." Federal money has paid for work on Livernois that the surrounding neighborhoods have deemed "a turnaround nightmare." Private and state/federal money pays for the rest of any development you see, which is minimal at best.

When I went to Milwaulkee last year, I couldn't believe the level of investment made by the city to rehab the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. I was always under the impression that that city was a sh*thole, but that couldn't have been farther from the truth. I came home with a list of ideas, many of which were affordable infrastructure projects. I am hopeful that when the city's financial situation improves, so will the amount of spending on improvements to the neighborhoods that will be included in the redensification plan.

Bing has finally decided to brush aside the urban planning "let's repopulate by building new houses" concept, that obviously has failed Detroit and Highland Park [[one drive down Ferris in HP will show you how well that worked, or anywhere in Blightmore).

Instead, at long last, he is concentrating on the neighborhoods that are still vibrant, many of which are hanging by a thread. These neighborhoods include Grandmont/Rosedale, East English Village/4 corners area, and Boston Edison. The plan was implemented in the fall. Let's see what happens.

I know EEV saw some upgrades [[roads, sewers, new trees, etc). Not too sure beyond that. Since EEV was a targeted community and we have EEV residents here they may be able to say if anything positive has happended from that inititative.

I believe there was additional police deployed to these neighborhoods as well but woudl need to hear directly from the residents before stating it as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Federal money has paid for work on Livernois that the surrounding neighborhoods have deemed "a turnaround nightmare."
    Millions spent on a completely unnecessary median that was done by Kwame's friend Bobby Ferguson, if I remember correctly. Residents complained that it made a mess of Livernois, and the result was that the project was expanded a few extra miles south.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    ... and the result was that the project was expanded a few extra miles south.
    Yes, AFTER City Council had told Fergie & Co. to stop!

Oh yeah! that small median on Livernois from Grand River to 8 Mile Rd. It did create a traffic congested mess for the sake to revilitzing that area.

Well folks will have to deal with the new Livernois Blvd. what a urban blunder from KING KWAME'S relatives, Mr Ferguson. I'm glad the courts got rid of him.

Very nice job on the median, considering that if you were at that lot around the corner from Bakers on Eight Mile, in the old days you could drive down Livernois and make a left into the lot. Now you have to go west on Eight Mile Road, take a turnaround, go east on Eight Mile Road, take a turnaround, go south on Livernois for a block, take a turnaround, then finally make a right into the lot. Great design work!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Very nice job on the median, considering that if you were at that lot around the corner from Bakers on Eight Mile, in the old days you could drive down Livernois and make a left into the lot. Now you have to go west on Eight Mile Road, take a turnaround, go east on Eight Mile Road, take a turnaround, go south on Livernois for a block, take a turnaround, then finally make a right into the lot. Great design work!
    Or you can go east on 8-mile to the first street past Livernois, hang a right, go a block, hang a right to Livernois, hang a right on Livernois, go to the lot entrance, hang a right into the lot and hope it isn't full.

Whew!

If we want to Detroit retail districts to come back to productive life. It's take to take these solutions:

This is what I do if I become mayor of Detroit.

1. Create a community police force and new neighborhood city halls to combat violent crime.

2. Ask developers to build new strip malls and provide free parking to customers.

3. Rebuilt and utilize older outlet strips on main roads. Make sure the leased buildings are in control by various businesses landlords and install tougher penalties on them if the property is damage. Provide steel doors and other securities to protect buildings from property damages.

4. Reduce the amount of gas stations in every corner in smaller roads. Make sure those gas stations are next to local freeways.

5. Provide new streetscape enviroment by planting new trees, add new SOLAR POWERED street lighting to prevent underground transformer tampering from criminals. Have the roads paved by using city and state tax dollars.

6. Provide new D-DOT bus shelters on main intersections. The windows will be made out of special shatter resistant plastic.

7. Have the Detroit Police and community police do a Spring to Fall tradtional 'walking the beat' It would keep violent crimes and urban conflicts down. It would take effect from May 1st. to October 1st.

8. Make sure that all 'Mom and Pop' and franchised retail strips to provide their own security team to prevent robberies.

NOW FOR THE HOMES IN DETROIT GHETTOHOODS.

If I was Mayor of Detroit I will start operation: Ghettohoods to Neighborhoods.

1. Have Detroit Public School students who are doing vocational training in carpetry, HUAC, masonry, plumbing to assign a fixing up vacant or partially abandoned homes.

2. Crackdown in slumlords and put tougher penalties on dilapildated homes.

3. Provide a neighborhood block clubs to prevent stranger dangers and other preps including gangs and street pharmacists.

4. Create greenscapes by planting trees in the front lawns. This is save energy in every Detroit homes.

5. Have Detroit Police and community police patrol 5 to ten blocks within a Detroit Public School to prevent stranger dangers and install laws to kept sex offenders away from any public school or any other neighborhoods that has lots of children playing and hanging out.

6 Ask developers instal new homes and fix up other homes [[ if they bought it) and either sell it or rent it to any family that has good credit whether they have high or low-income.

7. Reform the Detroit Housing Commision and repair the remaining housing units.

8. Fix up Detroit playfields and community centers for furture enviromental greenscapes. [[ That's what KING KWAME did, but not enough.)

I will fullfil my promise as the next 'Hazen S. Pingree' of Detroit. A strong political progressive reformer. I will stop city corruption left and right. Provide a stronger Detroit Police Force to stop crime. Provide a stronger fire dept. and EMS response time quicker. Stop deliquent city taxpayers and those who didn't pay their public parking and speeding tickets. Create more predestrian life in Downtown Detroit and other sub-divisions in Detroit nieghborhoods. Create realtions to world global trade with our city for regionaliztional progress. Create relations with the suburbs so that the people cane come to Detroit and prehaps live in racial ethnic harmony. Create new jobs and start work programs for the unemployed. Fix our Detroit Public Schools so that they parents won't send their child to an alternative school. Provide better D-DOT bus service and perhaps a better regionalized public transit system. I will be watched by the media for my progress. People will criticize me for my actions. I could make mistakes that would cause my political career. But please bear with me when I correct my mistakes. Please be aware that your community may change, you all might not like it, but we Detroiters must change so we can live and create a better future for our children. This process might take years. Let me be your mayor and Detroit will change and move forward for the 21st Century and beyond.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Now that's better then President Obama's State of the Union Address.

for you Neda Soltani

Is the "Far East Side Project" [[not sure if that's the real name) still underway? The plan was to create infill housing between Mack and Jefferson and east of about Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If we want to Detroit retail districts to come back to productive life. It's take to take these solutions:

This is what I do if I become mayor of Detroit.

1. Create a community police force and new neighborhood city halls to combat violent crime.

2. Ask developers to build new strip malls and provide free parking to customers.

3. Rebuilt and utilize older outlet strips on main roads. Make sure the leased buildings are in control by various businesses landlords and install tougher penalties on them if the property is damage. Provide steel doors and other securities to protect buildings from property damages.

4. Reduce the amount of gas stations in every corner in smaller roads. Make sure those gas stations are next to local freeways.

5. Provide new streetscape enviroment by planting new trees, add new SOLAR POWERED street lighting to prevent underground transformer tampering from criminals. Have the roads paved by using city and state tax dollars.

6. Provide new D-DOT bus shelters on main intersections. The windows will be made out of special shatter resistant plastic.

7. Have the Detroit Police and community police do a Spring to Fall tradtional 'walking the beat' It would keep violent crimes and urban conflicts down. It would take effect from May 1st. to October 1st.

8. Make sure that all 'Mom and Pop' and franchised retail strips to provide their own security team to prevent robberies.

NOW FOR THE HOMES IN DETROIT GHETTOHOODS.

If I was Mayor of Detroit I will start operation: Ghettohoods to Neighborhoods.

1. Have Detroit Public School students who are doing vocational training in carpetry, HUAC, masonry, plumbing to assign a fixing up vacant or partially abandoned homes.

2. Crackdown in slumlords and put tougher penalties on dilapildated homes.

3. Provide a neighborhood block clubs to prevent stranger dangers and other preps including gangs and street pharmacists.

4. Create greenscapes by planting trees in the front lawns. This is save energy in every Detroit homes.

5. Have Detroit Police and community police patrol 5 to ten blocks within a Detroit Public School to prevent stranger dangers and install laws to kept sex offenders away from any public school or any other neighborhoods that has lots of children playing and hanging out.

6 Ask developers instal new homes and fix up other homes [[ if they bought it) and either sell it or rent it to any family that has good credit whether they have high or low-income.

7. Reform the Detroit Housing Commision and repair the remaining housing units.

8. Fix up Detroit playfields and community centers for furture enviromental greenscapes. [[ That's what KING KWAME did, but not enough.)
    Sounds good to me.
    When will we see your name on the ballot?

Long Lake Guest

Danny, you've got my vote!

We've heard all this stuff before. Talk is cheap. Where's the action?
    That intersection of Grand River and Greenfield is an albatross on the whole neighborhood.

As an EEV resident, I have seen investment. Repaved streets, more police presence, removal of dead Ash trees, replanting of trees and curbside recycling. What I haven't seen is updates to our business thoroughfares.

I love the D- grew up on the eastside & have great memories of all of it. In my "heart of hearts"- it's not comin' back. The neighborhoods I grew up in look like Afghanistan. Shoot the messenger, but that's reality.

Oh, give it a break people. This is a forum called Detroit Yes.

Just really get tired of people congradulating themselves for not living here. Most of which left the city when their parents decided to run away after 1967.

Would like to hear more from people still here and looking for solutions and political action to improve quality of life.

There is no question that Detroit has significant problems. Listening to people that crow over not living here does nothing for me.

I live in a real neighborhood. Know everyone by name. The homes are beautiful and not the cookie cutter homes that one finds in the burbs. Same house different colors.

I could fill three pages with people and organizations that do make a difference here. Please don't bother me with your PTA's that sell plants to get lighting for football fields.

Think Detroit has a great athletic program that should shame the burbs.

I could write oceans of memories. What is important is new starts. Detroit at the start of the 1900's was a very small town that made itself important. Lets hear from people who want to create new life for this "town".

What neighborhood do you live in?
    What kind of security system do you have?
    How are your insurance premiums?

EEV

a yappy dog and good neighbors

insurance rates are reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I will fullfil my promise as the next 'Hazen S. Pingree' of Detroit. A strong political progressive reformer.
    Yes, Hazen Pingree. He began the process of destroying privately run public transit in Detroit [[which was completed by James Couzens). When he was elected governor, Pingree set out to destroy railroads in Michigan, Michigan led the US in percentages of rail net [[not interurbans) abandoned in the 1910-1119, 1920-1929, 1930-1939, and 1940-1949 decades thanks to Pingree's "reforms".

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    What neighborhood do you live in?
    What kind of security system do you have?
    How are your insurance premiums?
    Honest questions or trying to destroy the possibility that someone leads a happy existance in Detroit?

I look forward to joining the neighborhood, sumas. Probably got about a month left waiting on my short sale bid on Grayton if all goes well.

Welcome to our neighborhood Route 29. Try to attend our monthly association meeting on February 10th at St Clare De Montefalco on Mack. 7:00 Pm. The theme is Taste of 48224. Free munchies from local businesses from 7: to 7:45.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast