Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State of Emergency

Councilwoman Joanne Watson is asking Governor Graholm to issue a state of emergency for Detroit. Due to the high rate of foreclosures, staggering utility bills, and a 50 percent unemployment rate. I wonder if the Governor would take hornor this request

A Municipal Welfare request from somebody who is embracing the welfare culture. Instead of solving the myriad of problems, throw some money at the city and celebrate the complacency. Ridiculous.

Given that the state is in financial extremis, where the heck does she think that Granholm has any money to give Detroit whether or not there is a "state of emergency"?

Only the feds have their own printing press for money.

I wonder if she has checked out the city's Neighborhood Stabilization Plan. The city is set to receive $47 million once the plan is finalized.
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...7/Default.aspx

Declaring a state of emergency is not the answer. The culture of this city has to change. Out of 50% of the umemployment rate, as she claims, how many of these individuals are actively seeking employment?

Some people have not held a steady job throughout their entire life, and have grown accustom to collecting a check every month; if they grew up in the "system" and the government has not put forth any effort to curtail this problem, why change things now? Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Pooh View Post
    Declaring a state of emergency is not the answer. The culture of this city has to change. Out of 50% of the umemployment rate, as she claims, how many of these individuals are actively seeking employment?

Some people have not held a steady job throughout their entire life, and have grown accustom to collecting a check every month; if they grew up in the "system" and the government has not put forth any effort to curtail this problem, why change things now? Just saying...
    Sounds like you are making some major generalizations about the unemployed.

I'll tell you what - give up your car [[if you have one) and try to find a job in the city or take the bus to where the jobs are [[If you can find any - even at a fast food place) and then let me know your thoughts about all of these people not looking

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

I'll tell you what - give up your car [[if you have one) and try to find a job in the city or take the bus to where the jobs are [[If you can find any - even at a fast food place) and then let me know your thoughts about all of these people not looking
    Right on!

I ride my bike throughout our city and I see first hand what people have to deal with in their isolated world. No jobs close by, no quality food markets, not many fast food outlets to even apply for work, a transportation system that under serves those needing it the most, families living without heat, folks in long lines at soup kitchens, on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Right on!

I ride my bike throughout our city and I see first hand what people have to deal with in their isolated world. No jobs close by, no quality food markets, not many fast food outlets to even apply for work, a transportation system that under serves those needing it the most, families living without heat, folks in long lines at soup kitchens, on and on.
    Yeah, life is hard - they should probably should just give up.

/snark

Quote Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit View Post
    Yeah, life is hard - they should probably should just give up.

/snark
    Not saying that but I think that people like to simplify the situation by stating that many [[or most) just don't want to look for work or don't want to work.

When you face additional hardships [[Transportation/availability of jobs, etc) it can get exceptionally difficult. The fact that people assume it is easier to generalize them as lazy without considering the hardships people must go through everyday really minimizes the inequality that many face in finding a job.

I know white collar people that have given up on the job search and the extent of their searches are on-line. Imagine taking a bus an hour in each direction for an interview and getting turned down time after time.

If you think it is easy then you are one of the strongest willed people on the face of the earth.

State of Emergency? Watson is again grandstanding instead of working, but that aside, does she really understand what a State of Emergency invites?

Such a declaration certainly institutes a state of martial law, the calling out of the National Guard and devising ways to circumvent established bureaucracies. State auditors flying in and taking over administrative duties. That would translate to the suspension of all work rules including overtime; hence, the impact of such a Declaration would be born by Watson's voting base: city union workers and welfare rights groups.

Food lines, tanks from Grayling in streets, outsiders taking over city services ... be careful what you wish for JoAnn.

Maybe a ten-year trusteeship with the Michigan Supreme Court appointing a "Board of Trustees" to supersede the City Council. Maybe that is what she is looking for.

I would be that if you gave me a copy of their org charts and a fistful of nonappealable pink s;lips and turned me loose in City Hall and the Board of Education, I could make a significant dent in the city expenditures.

I know white collar people that have given up on the job search and the extent of their searches are on-line. Imagine taking a bus an hour in each direction for an interview and getting turned down time after time.

Being one of the many that have been "downsized" from the marketing world, I couldn't imagine trying to get a job without a car. Especially if you had an interview in Farmington, Rochester Hills or some other far reaching suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Assuming that all 50% of the unemployed were not making an effort to get a job would be considered a major generalization. My point is, out of the 50%, how many are making a gainful effort to seek employment, instead of blaming everyone for their misfortunes.

Did Joanne Watson address drop-out rate for DPS. I know what it's like to be unemployed, no car, etc. But, I had the will to finish high school, earn a degree [[in Georgia) and come back to this dump to make a positive contribution to society. I work and volunteer my time as a tutor. If there are no jobs here in Michigan, at least get an education to become more competitive in another city, state or country for that matter.

Maybe you consider me lucky, but whatever you call it, it doesn't take away from the fact that my values and upbringing played a major role in whether I chose to sit back, collect a check, have a bunch of kids I cannot afford, but somehow manage to go to the latest concert or stage play and get my hair and nails done every week [[in every color of the damn rainbow). Oh...and wait on everyone else to pay my rent, utility bills and food expense.

Moving back from Georgia, one of the first things I noticed was that a lot of the culture here is based on material things. The latest car, the furs, the gators, rental properties, etc. A lot people were living above their means. All this flamboyancy has come back to bite this city in the ass. It's no longer the place to be.

Just saying...
    Last edited by Nikki Pooh; January-27-10 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    State of Emergency? Watson is again grandstanding instead of working
    I loved that quote! thanks for the laugh.

Detroit city council is a pathetic joke, or at least the last group was. Maybe the new council will show some concern for the city, innovation, and competency. I was a Detroit resident for over15 years and only recall city council perpetually battling the mayor, governor, feds, and each other in lieu of working on progress. AS a whole they never seemed to accomplish much other than sniping, finger pointing, name-calling. A few did perform well but often gave up and quit running for office or were voted out.

Assuming that all 50% of the unemployed were not making an effort to get a job would be considered a major generalization. My point is, out of the 50%, how many are making a gainful effort to seek employment, instead of blaming everyone for their misfortunes.

Did Joanne Watson address drop-out rate for DPS. I know what it's like to be unemployed, no car, etc. But, I had the will to finish high school, earn a degree [[in Georgia) and come back to this dump to make a positive contribution to society. I work and volunteer my time as a tutor. If there are no jobs here in Michigan, at least get an education to become more competitive in another city, state or country for that matter.

Maybe you consider me lucky, but whatever you call it, it doesn't take away from the fact that my values and upbringing played a major role in whether I chose to sit back, collect a check, have a bunch of kids I cannot afford, but somehow manage to go to the latest concert or stage play and get my hair and nails done every week [[in every color of the damn rainbow). Oh...and wait on everyone else to pay my rent, utility bills and food expense.

Moving back from Georgia, one of the first things I noticed was that a lot of the culture here is based on material things. The latest car, the furs, the gators, rental properties, etc. A lot people were living above their means. All this flamboyancy has come back to bite this city in the ass. It's no longer the place to be.

Just saying...
    " It's no longer the place to be " You ain't kidding - we're basically the laughingstock of the world. The perception that outsiders have of this city I find to be shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    Right on!

that sucks, they should move to the unsustainable suburbs.....

The mayor should seek money from the government for the repairing of the city's infrastructure. That would provide jobs for those in the city who are of able body. Give a tax break to small business to encourage more stores to open up in Detroit. Retailers could hire young people to work in their stores or places of business.The much bigger jobs such as demolition, paving, landscaping, etc should be available for adults who want to work could apply for them.

Watson should start by paying her back taxes.

I caught notice of your comments and I had to comment.

First, declaring a state of emergency is the answer. For years the Kilpatrick administration had been bleeding this city dry, thousands have left the city which means reduced tax revenue is coming into the city coffers, industries have left the region meaning no jobs not only for Detroit but for the region. If this is not a state of emergency, I don't know what is.

On John Bennett's site [[http://www.detroituncovered.com) he has posted this which addresses this question.
    Receivership inevitable for Detroit
    Like Blackwell former Mayor Kilpatrick has done well and secured his future also. Where his millions are hidden we may never know but what we do know is the city of Detroit is teetering over a cliff and soon to fall. We must face an undeniable truth, Detroit is headed for receivership and there is nothing Mayor Bing or the City Council seems willing to do to avoid it. Mayor Kilpatrick used any and all leverage financially the city had in lieu of reducing city government. This no doubt made those who were cozy with Kilpatrick and benefited happy but it did nothing for the ever increasing deficit that is beyond repair unless drastic action is taken. The damage is as much structural as it is real and nobody's a winner. Down-sizing, right-sizing , whatever label you choose to use something must start happening soon if we have any hope of saving Detroit.
    Years ago, a buddy of mines said Detroit should go into receivership and I brushed him off. Detroit is a state of emergency. No need to keep denying it.

As for knocking Watson's request because some of the workers don't want to work, I say that we always had deadbeats and as long we had a tax base and jobs available the majority who were able to benefit, benefited it. That is not the case anymore, so should we lump the ones who want to go back to work with the deadbeats and declared that the "culture needs to change." The culture changing will not save Detroit, but maybe a Robert Bobb clone could.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Councilwoman Joanne Watson is asking Governor Graholm to issue a state of emergency for Detroit. Due to the high rate of foreclosures, staggering utility bills, and a 50 percent unemployment rate. I wonder if the Governor would take hornor this request
    Where did you hear/read about this request for a "state of emergency"?

"First, declaring a state of emergency is the answer. For years the Kilpatrick administration had been bleeding this city dry, thousands have left the city which means reduced tax revenue is coming into the city coffers, industries have left the region meaning no jobs not only for Detroit but for the region. If this is not a state of emergency, I don't know what is."

Kwame was bleeding the city his first term and everyone knew it and re-elected the idiot again. No bitching about it now. You guys wanted him and you got him. Sorry, no sympathy for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    that sucks, they should move to the unsustainable suburbs.....
    The impoversihed in the suburbs face the same problems, just there are significantly less people in the suburbs without cars.

Your sarcasm is misplaced here as the situation applies to the impoverished and carless in both city and suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    "First, declaring a state of emergency is the answer. For years the Kilpatrick administration had been bleeding this city dry, thousands have left the city which means reduced tax revenue is coming into the city coffers, industries have left the region meaning no jobs not only for Detroit but for the region. If this is not a state of emergency, I don't know what is."

Kwame was bleeding the city his first term and everyone knew it and re-elected the idiot again. No bitching about it now. You guys wanted him and you got him. Sorry, no sympathy for that.
    Dude, ranting about the past is not the answer. There is no flying DeLorean to go back and fix what went wrong. It is about fixing what is wrong right now. Who is bitching? You are, attempting to rehash the past in an attempt to do nothing. Sorry to hear that Kwame is the bane of your issue with Detroit. Hope you get over it soon. For the record, I voted for Hendrix.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

I agree regarding those that have no intentions of looking but you are still glossing over the people that have looked for along, long time with lmited access to decent transportation to get to places to apply for jobs.

I agree with this 100% but you are mixing school and jobs. School should be critical to every child and the parent[[s) of those children. What do you recommend the adults that did not finish school do? Your idealism makes perfect sense and I agree but reality is a whole different issue.

I'm curious - you state you know what it's like to have no job/car but had the will to finish school and earn a degree. Going to school and finding a job are two very different things - anyone that is driven and works hard may do well in school - not the same in finding a job, especially with the curretn economy.

Where would you infer that I consider you lucky? As for the rest - generalize much?

I suspect we are hanging in very different circles - the people I know that are struggling to find work are cutting costs, living as cheaply as possible, etc. No furs, gators, etc. It appears that you are choosing one extreme and applying it to everyone that is out of work in the city.

I agree that people here [[and throughout the country) were living above their means but I would say that had a bigger impact moreso in the rest of the region than Detroit.

Just so I am clear: You are making assumptions predicated on many people that aren't working having never or not actively looking for work. It also assumes that there is a significant number of people that are in dire financial distress because of lavish lifestyles? I feel like we are living in two completely different Detroits.

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    51-52% wanetd him. So you have no sympathy for the 48-49% that didn't want him.

That makes perfect sense.

Hey this country wanted George Bush. I have no sympanthy for anyone that has been foreclosed on, lost their job, dealt with financial issues or had a loved one die overseas. They wanted him and they got him.

[[sarcasm)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast