Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abandoned/Burnt houses question

Okay, so say I live next to an abandoned/burnt out house how do I go about getting it tore down? Can I [[And yea I doubt it but why not ask anyway) get some people together and do it ourselfs? Or would I just have to wait for the city to do it ten years later? I know a diy tear down is silly and can't happen, its just dumb the people of this city have to deal with living next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTROIT View Post
    Okay, so say I live next to an abandoned/burnt out house how do I go about getting it tore down? Can I [[And yea I doubt it but why not ask anyway) get some people together and do it ourselfs? Or would I just have to wait for the city to do it ten years later? I know a diy tear down is silly and can't happen, its just dumb the people of this city have to deal with living next to them.
    You can start by finding out who owns the house, which is a matter of public record.

At one time it would be contacting the City Council. These days there is such a backlog, I don't know what would be best.

I would not suggest tearing it down yourself, there could still be an owner and you could get sued. As hard as it can be to imagine, it could happen. There would also be potential hazardous materials to get rid of, and a basement to tear out and fill back in.

Its not as easy as taking a sledgehammer to it. I've been tempted to do that to a few buildings myself.

The company I work for, which owns some rental housing in Detroit, wrote to the Planning and Development Office for the City of Detroit about an abandoned, burned out house. We documented the number of children in the immediate area, and the number of fires/crimes in the house. The house was torn down within a month or so after they received the letter.

I don't know if the home you speak of is in such an area, but it's worth a shot.