Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bricks from demolished buildings

Obviously probably all cities arrest people who steal bricks from recently demolished buildings, and for good reason. Most people who steal bricks probably just want to sell them to make a quick buck. But would Detroit consider collecting the bricks and selling them [[in large chunks or individually)? It would keep the bricks from being dumped somewhere and some people could buy the decades-old [[or century's-old) brick and reuse them. Brick thieves steal bricks anyway. The city might as well use the bricks for something productive.

I reason that some developers across would like to have that historic-looking brick, but at this time the scrappers do it illegally and sell it to developers anyway.

I know in St. Louis a while back some bricks from collapsed North St. Louis houses had found their way into New Orleans' recently paved brick sidewalks.

Chances are Detroit bricks are being stolen and sold. Why doesn't the city, rather than arresting those that steal it, just collect it pretty quickly and sell it. If the bricks are picked up quickly, there won't be anything for brick thieves to steal. Is there a market for that? Can the city do that?

Just wondering.
    Last edited by LeannaM; January-26-10 at 03:23 PM.

I had some friends who worked one summer loading bricks from a pile that used to be a building so they could be used in a dream home out around Bloomfield somewhere. I guess it was on the up-and-up.

And there is a used brick yard on Chene. Don't recall the rules, but I think a brick had to still have five corners for them to buy it.

LodgeDodger Guest

>>Most people who steal bricks probably just want to sell them to make a quick buck.<<

I've never re-sold a brick I've stolen. I use them for various gardening projects, thank you very much.

Building bricks and street/roadway paver bricks are 2 different animals....

If you used house bricks as sidewalk type bricks, they would likely last no more than a few years. A friend tried this, and within 5 years they crumbled.

However, that said... perhaps since New Orleans does not [[AFAIK) have the freeze/thaw cycle in weather that northern cities face... perhaps as sidewalk bricks they likely could last longer.

I've always heard that reclaimed brick on a new home is supposed to be very elegant.....and expensive.

I've got three bricks here....one from the Olympia, one from Stroh's Brewery on Gratiot, and one from the City Garage at E. Jefferson & Chene. I need quite a few more to build a house.........

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    >>Most people who steal bricks probably just want to sell them to make a quick buck.<<

I've never re-sold a brick I've stolen. I use them for various gardening projects, thank you very much.
    The majority of people who steal bricks probably do not plan to use them in their gardens, though.

Just seems to me that, if the city has the right to, it would be easier to clean up the bricks, than to patrol the property waiting for brick thieves to show up. No bricks, no brick thieves. I realize that usually the building is owned privately. Although, if the building is in bad enough shape that it must be demolished or collapses, the owner probably owes the city money in back taxes anyway.

Just seems like a waste for the bricks to not be sold legally or reused. I'm sure it's much more complicated, though.

If someone is seen stealing a whole bunch of bricks or tearing bricks off of a wall to make it fall down, they should be severely punished. But if the bricks are cleaned up quickly, then there's nothing for the brick thieves to take once the building has collapsed or been demolished. To me it seems like the city [[on the buildings they owned), could clean up the bricks and sell them.
    Last edited by LeannaM; January-26-10 at 08:10 PM.

I don't know. Bricks from demolished buildings bring the same worker bees out with their chisels just as the scrap metal guys show up with their torches. Since very few demo sites in this town are ever fenced off, I see guys in beat up pickup trucks showing up doing all sorts of clearing / "recycling" jobs. I'm sure these guys are neither licensed nor probably thieves. Hey, if they want to chip off mortar and sell the brick for a nickel, which is more than the going rate, that stuff will wind up in a land fill otherwise.

I don't know of the legality of these guys, but as long as they stay out of the way of the heavy equipment, I see them all the time. The city's not going to hire anyone to chip these things off for three cents.

Speaking of landfills, so much other reusable building materials in this town wind up in landfills, flooring [[oak), dimensional joists [[pine & oak), subflooring [[pine, oak), doors [[oak, pine, mahogany, beveled/leaded glass), trim [[east side is decked out in mahogany). As far as I'm concerned, the recycling / demo business in this town is extremely unorganized, while other metro areas are clammoring for what is being wasted here.

Do you think the City of Detroit could turn a buck from doing that? Most likely no. Im sure there is a market for old bricks, but what is the demand of it? What is the supply of it? how many of these buildings are going down? if there is lots going down, its pointless for the city to harvest them.

ray- I have 4 bricks. Olympia.Tiger Stadium,Strohs,Hudsons

I worked for a company that had large piles of old paver bricks laying around. We had a steady stream of older retired guys stopping by that wanted them. We would let them haul as many as they wanted. I've also used a number of them for raised beds in my garden because I don't like using treated wood. I say recycle anything you can.
    I think the problem with the city or companies offering them to people is a liability issue though. Once a company tells someone they can enter a site for any reason, they automatically assume responsibility for anything that might happen to that person. There are ways around that, but it usually doesn't pay for a company to get involved. It's too bad, but I can understand the reasoning.
    On a side note, we payed big bucks for new pavers, that looked old, for replacements.

I have always wanted to take bricks from those sites...I wouldnt sell them though. Mine would go into either a patio or retaining walls for my garden beds...always too chicken sh*t to take them though. Worked up enough nerve once but the police were arresting someone in front of my prize so i assumed it was a sign to just keep moving.
    Point of that ramble is I would be greatly interested in purchasing bricks from historic[[or just plain old) buildings

I had three bricks from Olympia when they tore it down...planned to attach them to plaques for my brothers, who were big Red Wing fans...kept them in my trunk for about six months. When I went to get them to complete the project, they weren't there, which prompted this conversation with my 10-year old son:
    "James, did you see the old bricks that were in the trunk of the car?"
    "Yeah, Dad...I threw them away a couple of weeks ago when you asked me to clean out the car."
    "Threw them out! Threw them out!??? Those bricks were from Olympia!
    "What's "Olympia"?"

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    ray- I have 4 bricks. Olympia.Tiger Stadium,Strohs,Hudsons
    Well, I have a fourth brick also, but I didn't note it here. It's from my front porch of my Rosedale Park home I lived in before moving west in '84. Don't mean anything to anyone but me, I guess, so I didn't note it.

I sure wish I had a Hudson's brick, though. Color me green.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I have always wanted to take bricks from those sites...I wouldnt sell them though. Mine would go into either a patio or retaining walls for my garden beds...always too chicken sh*t to take them though. Worked up enough nerve once but the police were arresting someone in front of my prize so i assumed it was a sign to just keep moving.
    Point of that ramble is I would be greatly interested in purchasing bricks from historic[[or just plain old) buildings
    Be brave, Girl. Whenever you see a pile of bricks from a building that's been razed, pick up a couple. Pay the site a visit daily. Before you know it, you have a nice little collection.

There are still some bricks left at the Western side of the Studebaker site...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    The majority of people who steal bricks probably do not plan to use them in their gardens, though.
    I was messing with you.

Does anyone know what building that those orange bricks in pile of rubble in Lowell's top picture gallery are from? I need that particular color, but longer bricks, for my house as some bricks are loosing its facade due to poor tuck pointing.

I got my Hudson's brick from the Salvation Army! They had pallets of rubble "donated" and people stood in line for hours just for a brick. A quick $5 donation and off I go, the proud owner of a brick. One of the pallets had a huge piece of marble on it from the front of the building. First in line scored that beauty...now, how to get it in the car!!??