Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kim's Produce opens Jan. 29 on Woodward at Willis

I met Kim & Hollis last week, and am very excited for their opening... Good luck, guys!! Please give your support to this new fledgling business.

Wow! The city is desperate need of better produce options... beyond the "Foodland" chain type stores full of can goods, processed foods and very few options for fresh vegetables and produce!

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Wow! The city is desperate need of better produce options... beyond the "Foodland" chain type stores full of can goods, processed foods and very few options for fresh vegetables and produce!
    Is shopping at Eastern Market beneath you????

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    Is shopping at Eastern Market beneath you????
    Probably not because Eastern Market is where the owners will buy their produce, I suppose they just like to pay extra for mark-up.

BTW, my neighborhood has several produce markets in it. We may not have mega grocer chains, but people have filled the need.

I heard about Kim's Produce when I walked past the storefront a couple months ago and there was a paper sign on the window. I got excited, kept walking and looked at the windows of the old C-POP, which said "Coming Soon: Front Page Deli." I was wondering if anyone heard about this. I thought Revolution Books was going in that spot, but another sign said it will be located in the basement [[they moved from W Willis at Cass Ave, so Goodwell's Health Foods could expand). http://www.eatfrontpage.com/

So exciting. Places soon to open in Midtown:
    - Kim's Produce
    - Front Page Deli
    - Sunflower Market
    - Corridor Sausage Co.
    - Starters Bar & Grille
    - Seva Vegetarian Restaurant [[the only thing I head of this was in yesterday's News)
    - Slow's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Probably not because Eastern Market is where the owners will buy their produce, I suppose they just like to pay extra for mark-up.

BTW, my neighborhood has several produce markets in it. We may not have mega grocer chains, but people have filled the need.

I went to Kim and Hollis's produce stand last year in Ann Arbor almost daily and got to know them very well. They would go to the terminals and Eastern Market between midnight and 6 am to meet the farmers to get fresh picked produce. They always had great produce and prices. I wish them well at their new store. Stop by and check them out you will be glad you did.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I can see the appeal for Midtown residents of walking a few blocks to a storefront instead of two miles to Eastern Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I can see the appeal for Midtown residents of walking a few blocks to a storefront instead of two miles to Eastern Market.

I am not saying that there is not a market for the mark-up... only that there will be one.

I sure don't buy all my produce in Eastern Market, why should I when I can walk a couple of blocks to several produce places in Warrendale.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I heard about Kim's Produce when I walked past the storefront a couple months ago and there was a paper sign on the window. I got excited, kept walking and looked at the windows of the old C-POP, which said "Coming Soon: Front Page Deli." I was wondering if anyone heard about this. I thought Revolution Books was going in that spot, but another sign said it will be located in the basement [[they moved from W Willis at Cass Ave, so Goodwell's Health Foods could expand). http://www.eatfrontpage.com/

So exciting. Places soon to open in Midtown:
    - Kim's Produce
    - Front Page Deli
    - Sunflower Market
    - Corridor Sausage Co.
    - Starters Bar & Grille
    - Seva Vegetarian Restaurant [[the only thing I head of this was in yesterday's News)
    - Slow's BBQ
    I couldn't find any mention on Seva in the News. Can you help? Also, info on Starters Bar & Grille please.

Sarah,

The Seva blurb is oddly hidden in the image on the right hand side of the "Midtown On A Roll" article.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Sarah,

The Seva blurb is oddly hidden in the image on the right hand side of the "Midtown On A Roll" article.

Thanks, I've always enjoyed Seva in A2. It would fit in Midtown nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitArmy View Post
    Sarah,

Seva in Detroit thread........
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=663

There is a mix of students and poor residents who will benefit from having fresh produce in walking distance for many and on a main bus line.....a convenience for those of us who can never seem to be able to make it to Eastern Market...

Good news!!

It will also make it easier for senior citizens on the Woodward line to get produce now that the Russell bus line has been discontinued.

My co-worker and I just walked back from Kim’s Produce. The space is a little small and the selection is limited. However, the produce looks great and the prices are very reasonable. For fruit there’s apples, oranges, bananas, mangos, pears, kiwi, blueberries, and strawberries. Vegetables included tomatoes, celery, iceberg and leaf lettuce, baby carrots, asparagus, onions, cucumbers and more. There’s a cooler filled with Calder Dairy products. And some killer cheesecake by the slice!! There’s metered parking in the front on Woodward if you need to drive there, or if you’re stealthy enough, park in back of the Majestic and walk around. If you work nearby, give them a visit. If you live close by, your neighborhood walkabilty has improved.
    Oh yeah, complimentary chocolate covered strawberries while they last!!

I suppose that if they are buying in bulk from Eastern Market, they might be getting better prices and therefore the prices in the store might not be bad.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I couldn't find any mention on Seva in the News. Can you help? Also, info on Starters Bar & Grille please.
    Starters Bar @ Grille is on the northern retail end of Studio One Apartments. There is a sign up for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I suppose that if they are buying in bulk from Eastern Market, they might be getting better prices and therefore the prices in the store might not be bad.
    Don’t quote me on this [[I was distracted by that cheesecake), but I believe that Kim said they shop at the Detroit Produce Terminal [[on W. Fort St.?) during the off-season. The Eastern Market shopping happens during the summer when the farmers are there from midnight to 6 a.m..

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Starters Bar @ Grille is on the northern retail end of Studio One Apartments. There is a sign up for it now.
    I called the phone number from their website. There was no answer and no voicemail. Is it a "Coming Soon" sign?

http://startersbarandgrill.com/

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    My co-worker and I just walked back from Kim’s Produce. The space is a little small and the selection is limited. However, the produce looks great and the prices are very reasonable. For fruit there’s apples, oranges, bananas, mangos, pears, kiwi, blueberries, and strawberries. Vegetables included tomatoes, celery, iceberg and leaf lettuce, baby carrots, asparagus, onions, cucumbers and more. There’s a cooler filled with Calder Dairy products. And some killer cheesecake by the slice!! There’s metered parking in the front on Woodward if you need to drive there, or if you’re stealthy enough, park in back of the Majestic and walk around. If you work nearby, give them a visit. If you live close by, your neighborhood walkabilty has improved.
    Oh yeah, complimentary chocolate covered strawberries while they last!!
    Alley_Cat,

Besides the free strawberrys, what did you buy?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alley_Cat View Post
    I called the phone number from their website. There was no answer and no voicemail. Is it a "Coming Soon" sign?

http://startersbarandgrill.com/
    I don't even know if there is a "Coming Soon" sign yet, but the Starters Bar & Grill is prominent on the outside, and a permanent fixture. You can see through the windows [[just driving by) that it is not yet furnished, so I do not know when they actually plan on opening.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I don't even know if there is a "Coming Soon" sign yet, but the Starters Bar & Grill is prominent on the outside, and a permanent fixture. You can see through the windows [[just driving by) that it is not yet furnished, so I do not know when they actually plan on opening.
    Yeah. they've been working for a long time. It has to be almost a year. But I know they are getting close to opening because there is a now hiring sign on the window.

Also, I forgot another coming soon.... Fatburger, also in the Studio One building.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    Alley_Cat,

Besides the free strawberrys, what did you buy?
    In addition to the FREE chocolate covered strawberry I walked out with $12.94 worth of produce and dessert:
    A bunch of celery [[$1.50), one mango [[75 cents), 2 pears [[@ 35 cents each), one red pepper [[$1.50), one-pound package of strawberries [[$3.00), one-pound package of carrots [[$1.00) and a giant piece of killer cheesecake [[$3.99).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast