Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the story on this little building?

I got rained out at the Tigers game yesterday so decided to walk around for a bit. I wanted to take some pictures of the Fine Arts Building before it gets razed. After I was done I realized I'd never walked around Elizabeth, so I strolled down the street and found this little building across the street from the Bucharest Grill. Anybody know what this place was used for?
    Attachment 619
    Last edited by Lowell; April-16-09 at 08:27 AM.

I wondered the same thing and asked a guy walking out one the door one day. He said that it's used as a recording studio.

Isn't it Ghetto Recorders?

http://www.ghettorecorders.com/welcome.html

Bearinabox Guest

It sort of looks like there's an old house buried in there somewhere.

Here we go again, we ID this [[and other Detroit buildings) about three times a year. It was a poultry market in the 20s, was Carter electric for decades, has been a recording studio of late.

I want it! Ive wanted it for years. I want to tear down the wall in front of the "house" part. I want to restore the facade, and I want to live there! Its not for sale though last i checked. tooo baad!

This is so weird! I saw this place for the very first time this afternoon when I was walking to my car from the Tiger game. My friend and I were wondering about it too! I can't believe I saw this post on the very same building.
    It's a pretty intriguing little place.

At least the recording studio keeps up the property and helps to brighten the neighborhood. [[cough)

It would be a really great spot for a little coffee shop.

Stop in to the Motor City Brewing Works and ask John about it. He might give you the run down.

i'm guessing they prefer to make it look unoccupied so that it doesn't tempt people to steal their recording equipment

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Here we go again, we ID this [[and other Detroit buildings) about three times a year. It was a poultry market in the 20s, was Carter electric for decades, has been a recording studio of late.
    Carter Electric was actually across Woodward, on Elizabeth before Comerica Park existed, next to the original location of the Gem. This building was owned by the same owners [[Forbes) and opened as "Downtown Paint and Supply" during the Theater renovations. It was a Pratt and Lambert [[paint) distributor, sold paint and supplies retail, but mainly used to purchase quality paint for the theaters. Is anybody familiar with either Carter Electric, or any remembrances of when the theaters were restored? I remember a very interesting and knowledgeable electrician who went by the name Aardvark Electric...

This is definitely Ghetto Recorders. It's a shame that he doesn't maintain the building better, but I agree that it's most likely because he doesn't want people knowing what is inside for theft purposes. There's a lot of expensive stuff in there.

So this was never a residence? Here I was just picturing someone standing on the little balcony and gazing at long ago Detroit. Poultry market? Doesn't look like a poultry market.....is there a link to the old id threads regarding this building? Are we talking about the whole building or the little one on the right?

This was a residence in the 60's-70's...the some of the family that owned the McInerney Miller Poultry Company used it as a residence for part of that period, perhaps as far back as the 50's...I dated a gal from the family and she had visited the old couple on numerous occasions. The parking was indoors, entered off the alley in the warehouse portion of the building. I remember a couple of guys that worked in the buying offices at J. L. Hudson's living there for a time after the McInerneys quit using the building and if memory serves me moved to Florida. Lots of Hudson people lived in apartments like the Blenhiem and thered sandstone building that was at Park and Montcalm, next to the Detroit Insurance bldg...right behind the Fox. I remember seeing a photo of the construction of the State Theatre and office bldg and that building was there, so it predates 1925. That area was interesting, and seemed to hang on a little longer than other areas to the north and east. there was a small apartment building right behind the stage wall of the Fox on south side of the building that had a restaurant that served middle eastern food, quite good as I remember although I can't remember the name.

There was a young girl artist that lived in that building about 20 - 25 years ago. I can still picture her but I'll be damned if I can remember her name. She left and another tenant took over. I think it was John from MCBW. It was a residence and recording studio at various times over the last 30 years. Simultaneously? I don't know.

This has been and is Jim Diamond's Ghetto Recorders studio. See www.ghettorecorders.com. This is also a private residence. I've recorded in this building with various bands three different time. Always had a great time working with Jim.

This building is owned by the Forbes family, and is leased out to Jim Diamond for his company Ghetto Recorders.

I don't know the entire history of the building, but in the Manning Brothers Historic Photographic Collection, they have a photo of this building when it still had the sign "Faltis Poultry Market" in the front of the building on the right.

I work for the Forbes family in the Palms Building, and that photo is up on the wall of my front desk.

There are a lot of photos in the collection if any of you are interested in purchasing. We have a special on a lot of photos we have in stock right now.

Please let me know... gahakuelo@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote132003 View Post
    Carter Electric was actually across Woodward, on Elizabeth before Comerica Park existed, next to the original location of the Gem. This building was owned by the same owners [[Forbes) and opened as "Downtown Paint and Supply" during the Theater renovations. It was a Pratt and Lambert [[paint) distributor, sold paint and supplies retail, but mainly used to purchase quality paint for the theaters. Is anybody familiar with either Carter Electric, or any remembrances of when the theaters were restored? I remember a very interesting and knowledgeable electrician who went by the name Aardvark Electric...
    OK, that's right, Gawd, it's been 20 years since those days. I was in Carter electric, I just got fuzzy on the location I guess. I knew Ardvark [[Jeff). I know someone who probably keeps in touch with him.

Default My Great Grandpa Faltis’s business

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    This was a residence in the 60's-70's...the some of the family that owned the McInerney Miller Poultry Company used it as a residence for part of that period, perhaps as far back as the 50's...I dated a gal from the family and she had visited the old couple on numerous occasions. The parking was indoors, entered off the alley in the warehouse portion of the building. I remember a couple of guys that worked in the buying offices at J. L. Hudson's living there for a time after the McInerneys quit using the building and if memory serves me moved to Florida. Lots of Hudson people lived in apartments like the Blenhiem and thered sandstone building that was at Park and Montcalm, next to the Detroit Insurance bldg...right behind the Fox. I remember seeing a photo of the construction of the State Theatre and office bldg and that building was there, so it predates 1925. That area was interesting, and seemed to hang on a little longer than other areas to the north and east. there was a small apartment building right behind the stage wall of the Fox on south side of the building that had a restaurant that served middle eastern food, quite good as I remember although I can't remember the name.
    Hi Detroit Bob— I would love to learn more. My Great Grandpa Faltis ran a poultry/meat business there. I think after he died, it must have went to the McInerney family, who I think was the husband of my Great Grandpa’s sister. Thanks!!

Welcome to Detroityes KMintheAM!

Designed by Baxter, O'Dell & Halpin for the Faltis Market Company. Office Building, 54 West Elizabeth built 1911-1912 Downtown, Detroit, MI. Includes an article/rendering featuring the building from a 1912 edition of the Detroit Free Press, and a
    n image of the building from the Burton Historical Collection, date unknown.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

So is this building still standing?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So is this building still standing?
    I'm 99% certain this building was demolished to make room for a loading dock for The Fillmore Theater. The Fillmore had been using the lot where the Little Caesars Headquarter expansion sits.

This building is gone. The photos of the demolition can be seen on page 3 of the below thread

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...for-demolition

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast