Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hoping for a turn for the better

Fond memories of Detroit always lingered in my mind decades after I remember going to Belle Isle with my parents and the surrounding downtown core.
    My life took me to Europe for over 2 decades and when I returned I of course needed to drive through Detroit to see how things have changed, and changes I saw some terrible others good.... I have listened to people and read articles of the ups and downs of Detroit and I must say with the history this city holds it is something we all must consider and be pround of. Yes there are terrible and disastrous moments that are hard to bare but we must consider and analyse our past and LEARN through these mistakes and move on with strides of pride and passion for others. I never considered buying in Detroit but I believe I am being compelled to becoming part of this city and to give and to help as much as one person can do. If we all stand up and take part in the rebuilding of this city we can do wonders.. But we cannot do it alone we must stand together all races together to show strength in numbers and to remember our strong past, to learn from our mistakes and to build a future for our children, family and friends... Lets take this one step at a time and show city leaders how much we care and how much they must learn to care. Without US there is no future. We are all being put to the test!!

It seems everyone enjoys talking about the ruins anyone want to talk about what to do?? Lots look but dont reply. I am working on building and restoring not tearing down!!!!

Can't see the forest for the trees, maybe? I think it takes feet on the ground leadership. It's pretty easy to sit in an office somewhere and say, why don't "they" do this, that or the other thing. It's quite another to get out there and start something and keep at it, and keep on working until other people get on board and start working too. Take Cub's project, the Georgia Street Community Collective, one man working and pulling and pushing a single neighborhood from the brink of decline back into resurgent growth. One man's vision, may it kindle a burst of regrowth to surrounding neighborhoods and spread from there. One small stone dropping into a pond, ripples spreading, more stones, more ripples.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; January-29-10 at 11:06 AM.

Newhorizons, I think maybe a good portion of people monitoring this web site have in the past or are currently living in the city and trying to do something to help the awful situation. I lived in Detroit for almost ten years and finally left after one bad experience after another, Following an armed robbery and home invasion I decided I would be safer in the suburbs. But I still visit Detroit very often and spend money in the city and donate to many of it's non-profit organizations and churches.

Many suburban people are very pro-Detroit but don't feel like living in the city is right for them.

I think a huge percentage of people are going to agree with your premise, and already are doing what they can to make Detroit better.

don't despair, you have allies!

Retroit Guest

So much depends on the current residents. They are the ones that determine the direction of the city. There are many good people in Detroit. Unfortunately, there are also many bad people in Detroit who not only do not care about their city, but are actively engaged in destroying it.

Sure, well-intentioned outsiders can pour money and time into the city, but how will they be received by current Detroiters? Are most Detroiters willing to contribute toward change? Detroiters need to change their own attitude about their city. They need to take responsible for their city, and should not depend on outsiders to come in and save them from themselves.

I appreciate your desire to help Detroit. I think many of us feel the same way. But perhaps you could give some specifics on some project/program that you think would bring about change in Detroit.

Here's an idea I though of just today. How about enrolling all unemployed males for a few years after completing high school in a community service program. They would clean up the city, rehabilitate homes, patrol the area around schools, etc. The pay would be minimal, they would have an incentive to finish school, the participants would take pride in their work and city, they would gain some work experience, but most important, they would keep occupied and out of trouble.

Ultimately, the future of Detroit depends on the future of Detroiters.

Retroit I totally agree to this idea... what a wonderful impact it would be to give these people a purpose to work and help Detroit get on its feet again. Yes money would be minimum wage but it would give them an incentive to work and learn for their futures... There is so much to repair in Detroit and this would certainly be a plus.. All we need are city employees to help train and manage and teach these young people to manage what they are doing to lead them to a better future.. If we as contractors and builders have to step in so be it I am sure we can find people who are willing to volunteer time if the city is willing to work with us. There is so much to say and I wish that more people will start thinking and changing things.. Thanks again was a breath of fresh air. And yes the future depends on Detroiters but its always nice to welcome more as Detroiters..

Retroit Guest

The big problem I forsee would be the objection from unionized city workers. Maybe the city would have to declare bankruptcy first to get around them?

Here's another very positive movement that I found out about just yesterday. I commend these people greatly. http://themannetwork.net/ They rescued a girl from an attacker a couple days ago. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22381781/detail.html

Here's an idea I though of just today. How about enrolling all unemployed males for a few years after completing high school in a community service program. They would clean up the city, rehabilitate homes, patrol the area around schools, etc
    Sounds like what this group is doing:

http://www.youngdetroitbuilders.com/?page_id=2

Young Detroit Builders [[YDB) strives to unleash the positive energy of unemployed young adults to rebuild their communities and their own lives with a commitment to work, education, responsibility and family. Here at Young Detroit Builders, we rebuild communities, while transforming lives.
    Last edited by Pam; January-30-10 at 07:23 PM.

Thank you so much for the response that is exactly what we are looking for.. As to unions I think that is a topic totally for itself.