Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Painting of Kwame

Went to the last day at the Auto Show, but was puzzled to find a piece of artwork on the second floor of Cobo with a smiling image of pimp daddy KK. Why is this still up? In any other city, they'd have taken it down. Is this part of that deal with Sherry Washington gallery?

By the way, Cobo looked like a dump. Walking out of the gleaming displays and into the men's room or the hallways was depressing.

Well the painting of the former PIMP KING KWAME is still up the but the restitution payment for him is still going on. KING KWAME has 90 days to pay over $320,000 or he'll be back in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

By the way, Cobo looked like a dump. Walking out of the gleaming displays and into the men's room or the hallways was depressing.
    Now, Now!!! Any complaints about the conditions of the Cobo Convention Center should be submitted in writing to the state mandated Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority that now oversee the day-to-day operations of Cobo.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Now, Now!!! Any complaints about the conditions of the Cobo Convention Center should be submitted in writing to the state mandated Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority that now oversee the day-to-day operations of Cobo.
    I don't get it.

I don't get it.
    D'oh [[channeling Homer)

You called Cobo a dump. I said you should complain to the regional authority. It was a joke. They don't even have an official address. Get it!!!!

D'oh [[channeling Homer)

You called Cobo a dump. I said you should complain to the regional authority. It was a joke. They don't even have an official address. Get it!!!!

Oh, sorry. I guess it is kind of funny in retrospect.

Walked off the PM and found the hall covered with wall-carpet that was dingy, very old and had not been cleaned in a long time. Walked past a chair that had toppled over and was left there. And the bathroom stank so bad. Worst bathroom smell in the last year, and that counts campground latrines!

I don't understand the complaint here. It was made very clear that while there was work done in advance of this year's show, it was infrastructure and back-end stuff. Fixing the roof, fixing the fire system, electrical upgrades, and loading dock upgrades. This work was designed to fix code problems, make the building safer, and make it easier to use for the exhibitors.

There were all multiple reports and stories that, I thought, made this pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I don't understand the complaint here. It was made very clear that while there was work done in advance of this year's show, it was infrastructure and back-end stuff. Fixing the roof, fixing the fire system, electrical upgrades, and loading dock upgrades. This work was designed to fix code problems, make the building safer, and make it easier to use for the exhibitors.

There were all multiple reports and stories that, I thought, made this pretty clear.
    I didn't read about the fixes done to the exhibition hall infrastructure. I'm not talking about last week's electrical fire. I'm saying that, in the non-exhibition portions of the hall, it looked and smelled bad. Were all these stories supposed to make me not notice the dingy wall carpeting and shit smells?

Walked off the PM and found the hall covered with wall-carpet that was dingy, very old and had not been cleaned in a long time. Walked past a chair that had toppled over and was left there. And the bathroom stank so bad. Worst bathroom smell in the last year, and that counts campground latrines!
    Rome wasn't built in a day so I guess the regional authority is going to take their sweet time in redoing the place. Hopefully, something will be done.

Rome wasn't built in a day so I guess the regional authority is going to take their sweet time in redoing the place. Hopefully, something will be done.
    It isn't a matter of renovation. Keeping the bathrooms clean is a matter of keeping a size 13 permanently inserted in the janitor staff's collective butts.

Well, the Authority has a potential money maker right there.

Place a line on the floor about 7’ 9-1/4”from Kwhyme's portrait and have a on-going dart tournament.

Talk about your revenue streams...the Big Diamond could never have designed a more effective fund raiser for Cobo Hall.

We'll call it...L. Brook's CrossPoint or McNamara's Folliest or something like that.

Cheers, going to shop for darts now...because even IF they don't do this, if they don't take it down we can still have some kinda fun.

Keeping the bathrooms clean is a matter of keeping a size 13 permanently inserted in the janitor staff's collective butts.

You don't have to get your shoes dirty if you hire the right people and keep the union from getting in the way of them doing the job right every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It isn't a matter of renovation. Keeping the bathrooms clean is a matter of keeping a size 13 permanently inserted in the janitor staff's collective butts.
    Cleaning the restrooms wouldn't be considered part of renovation. It is general maintenance. I know they have a maintenance crew that is responsible for that. The manager in charge should be reprimanded or fired for having nasty restrooms. That said, don't confuse my words of renovating the place with keeping the place clean. Two separate items.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You don't have to get your shoes dirty if you hire the right people and keep the union from getting in the way of them doing the job right every time.
    Two rather monster "ifs" there which contributes to the state of Detroit.

The Toronto Star has a big automotive section every Saturday called Wheels. They send about 10 reporters to Detroit every year to cover the show. The editor, Jim Kenzie, called Cobo "a damp, drafty dump of a convention center" that he dreads coming to. Not exactly great PR.

Isn't the solution to simply move the painting to the men's room? Then the smell could be easily explained!

Yeah, most of the bathrooms there are horrid... especially the one on the south end down by that bar... just horrible.....

The picture of the FELON KK needs to be gone.