Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Lumley Street

Default Lumley Street

I grew up on Springwells [[south of Michigan Ave) in the 60's and early 70's. At that time the entire area was predominantly white except for the next street, Lumley, which was all blacks from Michigan Ave south to the dead end. The street on the other side was Ternes, which was all white. So you had Lumley which was all blacks, surrounded on all side by streets with all whites. As best as I can remember, there were no other black families anywhere else in the area. Does anyone know the history of why and how this happened? I'm sure it wasn't by accident.

I dont know if the street was built as a black street or became one but if you travel on the streets that cross it you quickly realize that the land is lower and you are on a stream bed/intermittent stream or swamp. According to my mother who was born in 1919 and lived on several streets in the neighborhood [[Tarnow, Military, Daniels) Lumley was always black.