Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Ruins of Elmwood Cemetery

The last time I visited Elmwood Cemetery [[September, 2009) I noticed a few dilapidated mausoleums along Chief Pontiac Valley. Is this a recent issue or have these structures been damaged for some time? Who would be responsible for rebuilding these or repairing these mausoleums? I have read in the book Elmwood Endures that the Bailey mausoleum has been damaged for some time. If they can’t trace ancestors, then what is to be done?
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/e...08-10-1904.jpg
    http://books.google.com/books?id=Q0KBYj8v_ZMC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=pontiac+ valley+elmwood&source=bl&ots=OIGPosRy5L&sig=camvN5 nAcIE0h9teHPhu5Rvudlo&hl=en&ei=LedcS7L7EJHk8Qb9gYH 7BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CB UQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=pontiac%20valley%20elmwood&f= false

Retroit Guest

They've been like that for awhile. No one is responsible. The family [[or anyone else, I suppose) can repair them, if they wish.

A century old mausoleum, just like a century old building... needs periodic upkeep. But with the builders long dead, the heirs may not care... and it's not the cemetary owners responsibility to make repairs.

Driving along the winding valley road of the cemetary, it appears that many of the old hillside mausoleums have not had visitors in nearly a century.

Last time I visited Elmwood, I inquired in the office to find an ancestor's grave location. I was, uh, "greeted", by two of the most arrogant, uncaring women in Michigan. I did finally get the location, but they treated me as though I was nothing but a royal pain in the ass. [[I was polite throughout, trust me).

Then I found the relative's marker to be half buried. Sigh. Next summer I shall return with some garden tools.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Hi Ray, I think if you call them and tell them the stone is sinking they will reset it. This happened to me at Mt. Olivet and there wasn't a problem. Can't hurt to try....