Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Border Crossing?

Sorry if this has been previously discussed. I couldn't find the topic in past forums.

I am considering a relocation to Windsor and would like to hear from people who have experience crossing the border on a regular basis - for example, a daily commute.

I have a lot of experience crossing at Buffalo and at Blaine, WA. I know that there can be challenges. I've also lived in Detroit before and remember frequent delays at both the tunnel and the bridge. Has this improved? Does Nexus make a difference? Is it practical to think that I might cross daily for work? Are there better hours for crossing?

I would love to hear first-hand anecdotes if possible. But, any insights will be appreciated.

My cousin is a guard at the bridge and he says he spends the first 3 hours of his day allowing Canadians in who work here. When they ask you a question just tell the truth, they already know the answer to the question. You shouldn't have any problems.

I was really wondering about the delays. Is it possible to get across the border during rush hour in 10-20 minutes? Or, are we talking about 45 minute delays?

I've heard a number of stories about people who cross daily, but I don't know if they are true. Experience taught me that Buffalo is easily crossable most any time of day. Blaine, WA is a bitch most of the time [[very long and frequent delays).

It seems to me that Detroit will be a major problem. I would think that the population of the region, the major interstate highway, the amount of cross-border commerce, etc., coupled with the fact that there are only two crossing, would all make the Detroit-Windsor crossings nightmarish.

I work with someone, she and her husband both cross daily. She says it's a breeze with Nexus. I haven't heard they had any problems.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac4ever View Post
    My cousin is a guard at the bridge and he says he spends the first 3 hours of his day allowing Canadians in who work here. When they ask you a question just tell the truth, they already know the answer to the question. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Sorry pontiac...that's not quite true. In the past 4 years or so, we have crossed the Canadian border many times back and forth. We have passports, proper identification, are lifelong Michigan residents and have been searched more times than I like. Most of these times are "random" searches because they don't want to look like they are "profiling"; we are average looking Americans, they feel the need to search us as well as someone who doesn't fit the profile. I am at the point that I won't go to Canada nearly as much as I would like to go because of the hassle.

If I still lived in town, I would not be traveling across the border anywhere near like I did in the past, if at all. I would not tolerate the antics of the border Stasi. There have been a number of allegations of abuses by them.

OP, I would think 30-45 minutes would be a conservative estimate that could turn into hours if you were 'selected'.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Sorry pontiac...that's not quite true. In the past 4 years or so, we have crossed the Canadian border many times back and forth. We have passports, proper identification, are lifelong Michigan residents and have been searched more times than I like. Most of these times are "random" searches because they don't want to look like they are "profiling"; we are average looking Americans, they feel the need to search us as well as someone who doesn't fit the profile. I am at the point that I won't go to Canada nearly as much as I would like to go because of the hassle.
    The topic writer was talking about workers from Canada who cross daily not residents who cross frequently. My cousin told me he see's the same faces everyday and for the first 3 hours of his shift, which starts at 5am. After a couple weeks the topic writer should have no problem. As far as delay's i'll check ask him about that.

If you are a US citizen and want to live in Canada, you can't do this unless you go through a lengthy immigration process. The most you are allowed to stay in Canada is one day minus six months. Your nexus could be used to track your movements so you would need to have two places of residence. I looked into this once and figured it would not be worth it.

The Nexus card makes a BIG difference. I know several Americans who live in Canada and work in the states and never had problems at the border once they had a nexus card

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If you are a US citizen and want to live in Canada, you can't do this unless you go through a lengthy immigration process. The most you are allowed to stay in Canada is one day minus six months. Your nexus could be used to track your movements so you would need to have two places of residence. I looked into this once and figured it would not be worth it.
    That doesn't sound right as something that would apply to someone crossing the border daily. Why would you need to go through a lengthy immigration process if you're not working or studying in Canada? Please cite your source.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    That doesn't sound right as something that would apply to someone crossing the border daily. Why would you need to go through a lengthy immigration process if you're not working or studying in Canada? Please cite your source.
    I, too am curious as well. I figured there'd be plenty of Windsor snowbirds that make the annual trek down to Florida as well and can't imagine it being that difficult.

I know that crossing the border can be tricky but I've never had any difficulties at all. When asked by the people there, I try to be forthright. I try to clear my mind and hear exactly what it is they're asking and answer it succinctly as possible; I try not to" rehearse" what it is I'm going to say because it'll just flub me up. I don't have anything to hide. And while it is a minor inconvenience at times, I usually allocate myself an extra half hour for just such little glitches at the border. I've already put into my mind that it's what to expect when I cross the border- anything quicker or faster is a bonus.

My only beef with the border crossings is the price! The Detroit-Windsor crossing is by FAR the most expensive of any that I've made between the two countries and I've made them from Campobello Island, NB, Niagra Falls, Port Huron [[it's pricey there too!), Blaine, WA, Sault Ste. Marie, to Buffalo, NY. It's utterly amazing what they get away with here price wise for the tolls.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I, too am curious as well. I figured there'd be plenty of Windsor snowbirds that make the annual trek down to Florida as well and can't imagine it being that difficult.

I know that crossing the border can be tricky but I've never had any difficulties at all. When asked by the people there, I try to be forthright. I try to clear my mind and hear exactly what it is they're asking and answer it succinctly as possible; I try not to" rehearse" what it is I'm going to say because it'll just flub me up. I don't have anything to hide. And while it is a minor inconvenience at times, I usually allocate myself an extra half hour for just such little glitches at the border. I've already put into my mind that it's what to expect when I cross the border- anything quicker or faster is a bonus.

My only beef with the border crossings is the price! The Detroit-Windsor crossing is by FAR the most expensive of any that I've made between the two countries and I've made them from Campobello Island, NB, Niagra Falls, Port Huron [[it's pricey there too!), Blaine, WA, Sault Ste. Marie, to Buffalo, NY. It's utterly amazing what they get away with here price wise for the tolls.
    That's why you get a Nexus card.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That's why you get a Nexus card.
    Now lemme get this straight... a Nexus card will also reduce or eliminate toll fees?

Again, I have no difficulties whatsoever with any of the inspections. I'm just aghast at the tolls charged here at the Detroit/ Windsor crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    How much of a difference are we talking about here? With the Nexus discount, the Ambassador is $3 a crossing. Niagara Falls express pass is $2.75. Sault Ste. Marie is $2.50? But, then again, New York state has toll highways and Michigan doesn't..

How much of a difference are we talking about here? With the Nexus discount, the Ambassador is $3 a crossing. Niagara Falls express pass is $2.75. Sault Ste. Marie is $2.50? But, then again, New York state has toll highways and Michigan doesn't..
    Gotcha. The Nexus card merits $1 off.

My source was a real estate agent who showed me the property. Maybe she did not like 'americans'? It would have worked out great for me, the tunnel bus drops off right in front of my building.

Regarding tolls here. Tolls are set by operators. If a private owner raises his toll, one would think that one operated by two municipalities that are hurting for cash would be inclined to raise there toll as well. Should another crossing be built, that one would be run by MTO and MDOT so then there would be three parties operating facilities, one would assume that this would help moderate tolls and kep them in check.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-25-10 at 01:12 PM.

First off, in general terms it is not a problem commuting back-and-forth. Literally thousands of people do it on a daily basis in both directions--you might encounter a delay on the odd occassion, but it's the expception and not the rule. For a year and a half I crossed 4 times a day and delays were rare.

Secondly, to straighten out the Immigration questions, you cannot make your permanent home in Canada without Immigration status--regardless of whether you are working in Canada, studying in Canada or neither...the person who stated that the limit is 6 months is correct--anything beyond that is an overstay which would potentially subject you to removal/deportation--now, entry/exit on a daily basis to work does constitute 'departure from Canada' however, Immigration will still consider you to be "living" in Canada based on the fact that you reside here, etc.

I crossed about 10 times in the past 6 months. You can never tell if it will take 10 min or 45, which is the most annoying part. It sure helps Detroit tourism though as I would never dream of staying in Windsor anymore when I visit the area.

Thanks for all the responses. I am not worried about the immigration status. I'm a dual citizen. I was concerned more about the traffic backups. For example, Buffalo had Nexus lanes. But frequently the traffic is backed up beyond the Nexus entrance which results in a long wait. I've had the same thing happen at Blaine, WA.

With Nexus lanes at the border crossing here it is very rare that they are backed up. That goes for both crossing points.