Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Penn Hotel?

Default Penn Hotel?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Penn-Hotel-Orgin...item414c6374f1

This photo on eBay says the address was 711 Third St. But that seems impossible as the Detroit News garage and building, as well as the Roehrig Hall, all seem to be on the site. Does anyone know where this was? I guess it could have been on the northwest corner of Lafayette and Third. Photo shows it still standing as recently as 1975.

Default Penn Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Penn-Hotel-Orgin...item414c6374f1

This photo on eBay says the address was 711 Third St. But that seems impossible as the Detroit News garage and building, as well as the Roehrig Hall, all seem to be on the site. Does anyone know where this was? I guess it could have been on the northwest corner of Lafayette and Third. Photo shows it still standing as recently as 1975.
    The address of 711 Third is correct. The old city of Detroit Polk directories such as from 1958 will confirm that address. The Penn Hotel was populated by white southerners, several of which frequented a grocery store opened in 1947 by Leo Derderian. The store was located on Third south of Howard. Yes, the same Leo Derderian that owned the various Anchor Bar incarnations downtown.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; January-24-10 at 11:23 PM. Reason: wanted to add detail

I remember the first Anchor Bar I went in was in the basement of a building on 3rd - we called it the "no name bar" but it was
    owned by Leo Dederian. got torn down for the freeway.