Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Michigan Central Depot

I have many fond memories of traveling by train from Detroit in the late 40s and 50s.

Retroit Guest

I'd encourage you to scroll down through the thread list and find one of the many threads dealing with this topic to share your memories.

Quote Originally Posted by mclran41 View Post
    I have many fond memories of traveling by train from Detroit in the late 40s and 50s.
    I, for one, would love to hear your memories. If you go to: www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/mcs and scroll to the bottom, you can "Add new comment" and share your memories with everyone! I'd love to read them! Heck, depending how good they are, I might even want to include them in my upcoming book.

mclran41,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's an old photo that was taken out front of the MCS that might help jog loose some more memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    mclran41,

Welcome to the forum!

Here's an old photo that was taken out front of the MCS that might help jog loose some more memories.
    Wow. There was a White Castle over there next to the Hotel Roosevelt and MCS? Crazy!

Wow. There was a White Castle over there next to the Hotel Roosevelt and MCS? Crazy!
    The building behind [[above) the "12ΒΆ White Castle" was owned by Briggs Mfg. Co. and if you look closely, you can see their name on the sign just below the building roof line.

Note the printing on the bag being held by the woman in the center of the group: "PULLMAN - Travel and Sleep in Safety and Comfort"

I rode a train almost weekly for three years '45-'48 Sun nights to Ann Arbor. Beautiful building and train service.

Quote Originally Posted by BillRush View Post
    I rode a train almost weekly for three years '45-'48 Sun nights to Ann Arbor. Beautiful building and train service.
    Bill,
    Would love to have you share some of your memories at buildingsofdetroit.com/places/mcs

Retroit Guest

Hope I didn't scar you off, mcIran41. Please share your stories here.

I didn't realize how long it's been since we had a "non-political" historic thread on the Depot/Station. I had to go all the way back to the old forums [[which can not be added to). Here's one: http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1226275185

Here are a couple of the more recent "politically" oriented threads we've had recently on the current state of the Depot/Station, if you're interested:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...=train+station

Again, my apologies. Welcome to the forum!

I love this story/video/picture set from the Detroit News! Every time I've spoken to someone who's been to the station when it was operating the first thing they say is "I just remember the ceiling's were so high and it was so beautiful!"
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2008804040415

That photo is priceless, Mikeg!

Quote Originally Posted by BillRush View Post
    Thank goodness the Ann Arbor station was saved[[Gandydancer).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    mclran41,

Welcome to the forum!

I do remember eating at the White Castle when working for the NYC one summer.

Thank goodness the Ann Arbor station was saved[[Gandydancer).
    The Gandydancer actually contains some pieces from the Michigan Central Station, namely the hanging lights in the main dining area were from the original elevator lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Hope I didn't scar you off, mcIran41. Please share your stories here.

I didn't realize how long it's been since we had a "non-political" historic thread on the Depot/Station. I had to go all the way back to the old forums [[which can not be added to). Here's one: http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1226275185

Here are a couple of the more recent "politically" oriented threads we've had recently on the current state of the Depot/Station, if you're interested:

Again, my apologies. Welcome to the forum!
    Is there anything on the Fort Street Station? I used to ride the C&O Sportsman to and from college back in the 1950s. It used Fort Street.

Oh my.... How times have changed...

Considering the time that has passed the Roosevelt Hotel really looks like there hasn't changed that much on the exterior, apart from peeling paint and the missing neon on top of the building. The interior however must be a royal mess. Apart from the warehouse, these are the only structures still standing near the MCS, which makes that old picture quite amazing seeing that these buildings are the only points of reference to find the location of where the picture was taken. If those buildings weren't there anymore, the picture could have been taken anywhere. Clairvoyance of the photographer??

This must be very close to where the photographer was standing when he made that picture of those happy travellers only 50 years ago....

And if the photographer swung around 180 degrees he would have pictured this, albeit in a looking in a better shape than this....
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-21-10 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Oh my.... How times have changed...

Considering the time that has passed the Roosevelt Hotel really looks like there hasn't changed that much on the exterior, apart from peeling paint and the missing neon on top of the building. The interior however must be a royal mess. Apart from the warehouse, these are the only structures still standing near the MCS, which makes that old picture quite amazing seeing that these buildings are the only points of reference to find the location of where the picture was taken. If those buildings weren't there anymore, the picture could have been taken anywhere. Clairvoyance of the photographer??

This must be very close to where the photographer was standing when he made that picture of those happy travellers only 50 years ago....

And if the photographer swung around 180 degrees he would have pictured this, albeit in a looking in a better shape than this....
    Clearly, demolition has made that area a much more attractive place for development than it would have otherwise been. Just look at all of the booming businesses!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Clearly, demolition has made that area a much more attractive place for development than it would have otherwise been. Just look at all of the booming businesses!
    Yes, I'm so happy we no longer have all of those durned buildings cluttering up our cityscape. Soon, a whole city of pocket parks! Ahhh, the greening of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    The Gandydancer actually contains some pieces from the Michigan Central Station, namely the hanging lights in the main dining area were from the original elevator lobby.
    I was unaware that the fixtures came from the MCS. Next time I'm at the Gandydancer, I'll check it out.

yup, the gentleman [[whose name escapes me) who opened that restaurant and the others in that chain purchased them at auction in 1990 I believe, shortly before he disappeared on a fishing boat in a tropical storm, never to be seen again!

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    yup, the gentleman [[whose name escapes me) who opened that restaurant and the others in that chain purchased them at auction in 1990 I believe, shortly before he disappeared on a fishing boat in a tropical storm, never to be seen again!
    I believe it was Joe Muirs[[sp?) and it happened somewhere in the Bermuda triangle[[I think).

There is an interesting post about the building in a Baltimore developement thread: [[post 6127)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...69512&page=307

2014 FIFA World Cup

i was taking a look at today's banner and it's a building i'm very familiar with. it's a picture of the michigan central train station in detroit. it has 500,000 square feet and is 18 stories tall.

it ceased operations in 1988 and the detroit city council wants to tear it down. my question to tearing it down is "why???" i don't think detroit truly see the jewel that they have in this building.

i say all this to say that baltimore would do wonders with a building like this. i would love to see it renovated and put on the gateway site [[where slots are supposed to go). the "look" of this building has slots parlor with a hotel written all over it. buildings like these are really hard to come by nowadays. i look at what arcwheeler did with the b&o railroad building and it's beautiful!

couldn't we give the city of detroit a couple million dollars and have this building airlifted here?

I believe it was Joe Muirs[[sp?) and it happened somewhere in the Bermuda triangle[[I think).
    Chuck Muer

Apparently no one has seen this weekends New York Times article about the MCS.

With the regretted loss of New York's Pennsylvania Station in 1963, and the near loss of New York Grand Central Station in the 1980's, New York Times folks appear to be rooting for a miracle for the MCS...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/06/us....html?emc=eta1

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Apparently no one has seen this weekends New York Times article about the MCS.

With the regretted loss of New York's Pennsylvania Station in 1963, and the near loss of New York Grand Central Station in the 1980's, New York Times folks appear to be rooting for a miracle for the MCS...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/06/us....html?emc=eta1
    Already had it's own thread: http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=4836

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast