Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Silverman's Diner

Talking with friends on FB about Silverman's today. I used to enjoy late light ice cream desserts at the one between A2 and Ypsi when I was in college. I remember there was one on Orchard Lake at 696 and another in Livonia. How long were they open and why'd they go out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    Talking with friends on FB about Silverman's today. I used to enjoy late light ice cream desserts at the one between A2 and Ypsi when I was in college. I remember there was one on Orchard Lake at 696 and another in Livonia. How long were they open and why'd they go out of business?
    OUCH!
    Hit a nerve there, xphillipjrx!
    Silverman's Restaurants were around for about 20 years. Late 70's until 2000.
    I owned 2 of the 'franchises' from 97- 99. [[Seemed more like the restaurants owned me)
    When I took over those 2, there were only 7 restaurants remaining in the 'chain'. In 1999 when I sold mine, the last of the 'Silverman's' were all changing their names.[[Livonia and Orchard Lake/696)
    At their peak, most of those places did a huge business. Large portions, 'all you can eat' dinners, complex dessert menus, etc.
    I still some of the old menu prototypes and recipes from the days when the chain 'peaked'.
    By the time I got in the business, we were 'on our own' as far as menus, etc- each Silverman's was somewhat different from the other.

The restaurants all were started by Bob Silverman.He'd open it up, bring in the crowds, then find an investor to buy the franchise based on all the cash coming in- . I doubt there was much profit. I more or less took over leases on mine from Silverman's. Made payments on the equipment, but did not pay franchise fees.

Thanks to the chain's past bills and creditors unpaid, my vendors all required C.O.D. A nuisance to keep cash on hand and count out payment on every delivery, but it kept me out of trouble.

Rings a bell for some reason, but I can't place why. Where were the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Rings a bell for some reason, but I can't place why. Where were the others?
    All over Detroit metro, mostly western suburbs. None in Detroit city limits that I know of.
    Farmington,West Bloomfield,Livonia, Plymouth,Westland,South Lyon, Novi, Howell, Ann Arbor,Taylor,Southgate,Roseville,Warren,etc.
    They did not have a unique design, most were recycled from other closed franchises- former Biff's, Sambo's,Howard Johnson,Clock, Nugget,Landmark,Uncle John's etc, or just strip mall storefronts.

Most memorable 'conversion'- a former Sambo's in Southgate was turned into a Silverman's then became a Hooters some time after Silverman's closed up.

Livonia ,......... maybe Plymouth and Merriman?

Were they big on breakfasts? Omelettes and things?

In Livonia-
    On Plymouth Rd [[a former Biff's) by Farmington
    and Corner Grand River/8 Mile [[former Uncle John's/My Granny's)

Yes, the menu was very big on breakfasts,omlettes, etc.
    Mornings were busiest at my places..

I opened the old file box I kept some menus/recipes, etc. None of the menus had addresses of all the restaurants.
    No surprise- I found an old aspirin bottle in with all the old paperwork.
    Tough businesss.

OK, Plymouth & Farmington is probably the one I remember.

Gotta clean out the cobbwebs.

Plymouth and Levan.

Used to go to the one at Orchard Lake and 696 for late-night breakfasts back in the 90s. It re-opened as Robertos [[I think). I remember always getting a blueberry muffin with my meal - they had good breakfast combos. Went there once or twice after it was Robertos, it wasn't nearly as good.

yes, they always had great meals. I would go to the Farmington Hills one at Orchard Lake and I-696 as well as the Livonia one. Sometimes Novi.

There was a small one on Greenfield just south of Ten Mile. BEST breakfasts ever! I still miss them.

Plymouth - Main Street just south of Ann Arbor Road. It's now "Zack's."

My brother used to work at one in the Tower 14 building in the northwest corner of Northland's parking lot.[[across from the old Michigan Inn)

Many late Friday nights at the one in Plymouth.

I used to eat at Sliverman's Restuarant on Ford Rd. near Wayne Rd. in Westland where the old "Jack in the Box" restaurant used to be. Now it's a Arab owned cell phone store.

Hello I was looking for some pics of Silvermans and can't find any anywhere. If you have any please be so kind as to share them on the following page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DownriverThings/ You are also welcome to join the page! thanks.

I went to Sliverman's Restuarant on Ford Rd. and Farmington Rd. in Westland, MI. back in the 1980s and the food was very good. The building used to be a Jack in a Box Resturant. The owners brought it long ago and turn into Sliverman's. Most Silvernman's Restuarants had been closed since the early 1990s due to lost of competive edge against other mom and pop restuarants. [[ More Coney Island restaurants pop up, more people went to them.)

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Most memorable 'conversion'- a former Sambo's in Southgate was turned into a Silverman's then became a Hooters some time after Silverman's closed up.
    Do you mean the one at Eureka and I-75 in Taylor?

Novi: Ten Mile and Meadowbrook in the shopping plaza, now the Honey Tree Restaurant.
    http://g.co/maps/3rua7

Westland: Ford Road at Wildwood, 1/2 mile east of Wayne Rd.
    http://g.co/maps/a82up

Wasn't the Silverman's at Orchard Lake and 696 an Old Tyme Deli before that?

I recall going there as a kid, they served good sandwiches. But also a bowl of pickles. One time, as we were leaving, we saw our bowl of pickles dumped back into a large bowl of pickles to be reused again! Needless to say, we never went back to that place!

Eww! I am certain all kinds of things are recycled at restaurants... when you think about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by detlump View Post
    One time, as we were leaving, we saw our bowl of pickles dumped back into a large bowl of pickles to be reused again! Needless to say, we never went back to that place!

I remember the one off of I75 in Southgate, used to be my fav when I was a kid. Its been gone a LONG ass time.

I knew a woman who worked at Ford [[initials CV) and I thought her husband owned Silvermans in the late 90s, but maybe he just had a couple of their franchises. Sounded lucrative, whichever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    The restaurants all were started by Bob Silverman.He'd open it up, bring in the crowds, then find an investor to buy the franchise based on all the cash coming in- . I doubt there was much profit. I more or less took over leases on mine from Silverman's. Made payments on the equipment, but did not pay franchise fees.

Thanks to the chain's past bills and creditors unpaid, my vendors all required C.O.D. A nuisance to keep cash on hand and count out payment on every delivery, but it kept me out of trouble.
    I used to work with Silverman's ex-wife. She told me how he did a bit of "creative accounting" on several years of federal income taxes without her knowledge. After their divorce, the IRS came after them both due to joint returns being filed. She had to claim innocent spouse to get out of that mess or she'd be on the hook for many thousands of dollars.

There was a Silverman's in South Lyon on Pontiac Trail. Gone through a number of names/owners, and is now the Lyon Cantina. There was one in Howell on Grand River, and is now home to Brunner's Restaurant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast