Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rare garter snake stands in path of proposed Ambassador Bridge competitor [[DRIC)

January 22, 2010http://detnews.com/article/20100122/OPINION03/1220351Rare garter snake stands in path of proposed Ambassador Bridge competitor

TOM GREENWOOD
    A new player has emerged in the ongoing saga of the Detroit International River Crossing [[DRIC), and it has scales and a flickering tongue.
    A lone colony of a reclusive little serpent called the Butler's garter snake has been discovered living in the path of the proposed $2 billion Windsor-Essex Parkway; a six-mile-long extension of the 401 freeway -- the main freeway linking Toronto and Windsor and one of the busiest in North America. The parkway would lead directly to the DRIC.
    While common garter snakes are in abundance, the Butler is found in lesser numbers, according to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.
    And wouldn't you know it, since the majority of its habitat has been eliminated, the Windsor colony is the only sizeable collection of Butler garters in all of Ontario [[although it can be found in other provinces and a number of U.S. states, including Michigan).
    What makes it unique?
    The Butler has a smaller head, a different scale arrangement and is known to thrash madly about when frightened by you and me.
    Since 2007, the serpent has been listed as threatened under Ontario's Endangered Species Act, which means it can't be harassed, captured, possessed, bought, sold or killed.
    To learn just what could or should be done about the "serpent de jarretière du Butler" I placed a call to Mark Butler [[no relation), spokesman for Transport Canada.
    He, in turn, put me in touch with Heather Grondin, spokeswoman for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, who said the snake colony didn't come as a surprise.
    "The existence of the Butler's garter snake was identified a few years ago while the DRIC study team examined wildlife ... in the access corridor," Grondin said.
    "We have tracked the snake's movement and have been developing strategies to protect them."
    According to Grondin, the Canadian government is working on strategies to "protect, create and restore of habitat for species at risk "like the Butler's garter snake."
    And those strategies are "part of the province's planned preconstruction activities," which basically is government speak for "we plan to do something, we just don't know what."
    What's at stake for the snake is still being debated, but the way the DRIC is being fought in court by Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel "Matty" Moroun, it could be years before the Butler garter faces eviction.
    Commuting tgreenwood@detnews.com">tgreenwood@detnews.com [[313) 222-2023
    Additional Facts Roadwork

A brief update on major road projects around Metro Detroit. Go to detnews.com/commuting to see the full list.
    I-275: MDOT has issued a permit to allow two 15 minute closures of I-275 at 10 Mile Road, in Farmington Hills, between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Saturday. There will be closure each for north and southbound I-275 under the direction of the Michigan State Police.
    U.S. 24 [[Telegraph): The right turn lane from NB Telegraph to Long Lake Road, in West Bloomfield, will be closed from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. today.
    U.S. 12 [[Michigan Avenue): Sign upgrades will close the right lane of WB Michigan at I-275, in Canton, from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. today. All ramps at the interchange will remain open during this closure period.
    Dequindre: Dequindre is closed beneath M-59, in Rochester Hills, until mid April.
    M-59: There is a single lane closure on EB M-59 from Adams to Ryan roads, in Oakland and Macomb counties, until mid April.
    M-59: There is a single lane closure on WB M-59 from Mound to Dequindre, in Sterling Heights, until mid April.
    © Copyright 2010 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.

Rare agrter snake stands in path of proposed Ambassador Bridge competitor [[DRIC)
    Must be pretty rare, I've never even heard of an agrter snake. Sound dangerous, though.

Retroit Guest

Very sneaky of Maroun to plant an endangered species in the path of the competitor. Wait till they discover the two-headed snakes that live under the Ambassador Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Must be pretty rare, I've never even heard of an agrter snake. Sound dangerous, though.
    Must have came into the area attached to the Asian Karp!

Vipers and Matty seem to go together.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Vipers and Matty seem to go together.
    Haha. Vipers are poisonous and Matty wants to add a span to his bridge.

So they're both adders.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Typo. It may be more dangerous than we think. They may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Typo. It may be more dangerous than we think. They may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    There's camels there too? Well now there's no chance for a bridge.

You guys are such wags! Ha ha.

He said wags.

This doesn't sound like that big of a deal given the small size of the population. Sounds to me that they'll simply recreate the tiny habitat and population -- or expand the current tiny habitat -- a few dozen meters this-or-that way, and that'll be the end of that. Needless to say that the snake seems to be the least prominent of the speed-bumps in this process.
    Not only that. It's a bridge/highway proposal that will be funded and owned by the Ontario and Canadian government. If it violates Ontario's Endangered Species Act that passed by Queen's Park, Queen's Park just puts through another act amending what's excluded from the endangered species act and Moroun has lost his lawsuit for a restraining order. This is not a constitutional amendment. It's a simple Act of Queen's Park that's easily changed. If you were dealing with a private company, it's one thing, but you're dealing with the property of the Ontario government who wrote this law which has a long history of hypocrisy when it comes to following its own rules. Just take a look at the Amalgamation of Toronto into a supercity. There was a petition for referendum. The petition was granted. The people voted no and they still amalgamated Toronto.
    Last edited by admin; January-23-10 at 11:20 PM.

I caught a lot of those 'rare' garter snakes in my days. They also were in the 'Marsh' by the Great Lakes Engineering Works. Lot's of fun capturing them.

I knew that a snake was attempting to stand in the way of this. Although I figured the serpent was an old man who likes to let buildings rot, take over public land & use various nefarious practices in order to further his empire.

Let us just hope that the Mourouns and family are on that endangered species lists. Put them under glass and behind bars.

Let's hope our buddy wants to do a new sicko feature, that family qualifies.

Retroit Guest

I see Lowell has been doing some dusting & cleaning. Thanks Lowell, it was starting to get ugly. My apologies for engaging in behavior unbecoming of a DetroitYES!er.