Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sight seeing in Detroit.

The other day i was looking at Videos of Detroit, and pictures. Than I had a great idea, since i like taking pictures, why don't i just go there myself and snap some pictures, right? sounds great. Only thing, i live in Windsor. Which isn't a problem at all I guess. I just wounder what I am going to tell the border guard. I don't think "sight seeing" will be a appropriate, justification for visiting. On any rate, I want to know what will be some good areas to hit up. I'm only familiar with a small part of "Mexico town" or whatever, and I-75 South. I also seen downtown, and the area near the Tunnel, I think its called Jefferson ave or something. I want to go to a place, with some 'ruins' and some run down areas. It will go good in my library of photos. Also, that Michigan train station that sticks up on the Detroit skyline, is that hard to get to? I intend on driving. What day and times have only light traffic?

My suggestion would be to check out some of the positivethings to see in Detroit, as the city is not solely a place in which to build one's photographic portfolio with pictures of ruins. I love taking pictures of all faces of Detroit, but my initial interest in some of the ruins blossomed into a much broader interest in the city in the subsequent years. That said, I would suggest the Detroit Institute of Art, Pewabic Pottery, or the Motown Museum. There are many other sites that posters could list.

If you want to see ruins, Michigan Central Station is not difficult to find. It is even on Google Maps by name. Stop by Mexicantown or Slows BBQ to eat while you are at it.

Definitely go to Google Maps and plug in the MCS. You can also enter bridge or tunnel to Canada and get directions from there to the MCS. There are lots of great things to see, from the Riverwalk, Eastern Market, Heidlelberg Project, Capuchin Monastery, Elmwood Cemeter. You can find them all with Google maps and get directions to them too.

Those seem like good places to start. I spent many hours on the Windsor waterfront, looking into Detroit. I want to get some good shots of the GM building, and maybe some shots of the industrial sector that I-75 goes through. Now, if I was to head a just one broad general direction, which direction would be good to go find a large collection of ruins? Also, is there any 'rich' areas of Detroit, that aren't too far out of City limits. Because I always defend Detroit when people say its ghetto, by saying "there is wealthy, rich parts" Also, any recommendable places to get some good/cheap American cigars?

Where is a good place to eat? Good place for cheap American cigars?

We're trying to stimulate your economy :P

It is pretty amazing what you can figure out via Bing birdseye maps and google street view. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Jump in and you'll figure out the rest. Tell the border guards your going to the DIA - actually a good starting place as the nearby neighborhood includes Piquette Avenue, the silicon valley of the auto industry. Cheap, filling and tasty enough - try Epicurus Place on nearby Warren between Woodward and Cass. Cigars? Get your Cubans in Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It is pretty amazing what you can figure out via Bing birdseye maps and google street view. "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Jump in and you'll figure out the rest. Tell the border guards your going to the DIA - actually a good starting place as the nearby neighborhood includes Piquette Avenue, the silicon valley of the auto industry. Cheap, filling and tasty enough - try Epicurus Place on nearby Warren between Woodward and Cass. Cigars? Get your Cubans in Windsor.
    We're only 18, we can't buy tobacco in Canada.